Search

Mumbai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mumbai

We are going to be in Mumbai for almost a month while my Mother has surgery there (medical tourism!). Does anyone know of good restaurants, neat things to buy, good markets, interesting places to visit etc.? Is it okay to wear sandals in December? Also, have far is the Taj Mahal from Mumbai? Any good tour groups?
Thank you
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Yes, India as a destination for medical tourism is really catching on. Which hospital? Where are you staying in Mumbai? The Taj Mahal entails a flight to Delhi then a train or car journey to Agra. Can be done at a hectic pace in 2 days. I would suggest you don't miss it, it is incomparable. You would have the maximum flexibility if you book your trip to the Taj Mahal on your own rather than try to join a tour group. I can reco a good local travel agent.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Sorry - hit post by mistake. Restuarants - Trishna in Kala Ghoda area for amazing seafood, Knokan Cafe in President for more of the same in a more luxury setting, Indigo in Colaba for great fusion food and setting, Busaba next to Indigo for Indian Thai, Chinese at the Taj hotel, Chetanas in Kala Ghoda for veg thali Indian. Buy - handicrafts (Cottage Industries near Regal Cienam in Colaba), silk, home furnishings - Shyam Ahuja in Crossroads shopping mall in Tardeo, the entire mall is worth a browse, jewelry - Amrapali in the Oberoi shopping arcade - again the whole arcade is worth wandering. Sandals are fine in Dec. Bombay is tropical so warmish all year round tho Dec is the best weather. Carry a couple wraps or a light cardiagn for early AM or evenings and for Agra.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:46 PM

I'm sure you will get lots of replies regarding restaurants and markets, but neither is really my "long suit", as I was in Mumbai only four days. With a month to wander around, you will wind up being the acknowledged expert on all of these subjects, and I'll be askinb you for advice.

The Taj Mahal.... now that's an easy one, even for me. It's a half-continent away from Mumbai, and under normal circumstances I'd say, "Don't even think about it". But if you have a whole month, and you are able to leave your mother for a couple of days (or, alternatively, if she's able to travel!), then it could be done.... either by train (you can check a rail map on http://www.indianrail.gov.in/testmap.html, and then plan a route with the help of "trains between important stations" on the site http://www.indianrail.gov.in/), or by air (probably to Delhi and then change to either another flight or a short -- three hour -- train journey).

Have you discovered the site www.indiamike.com yet? It will provide you with a wealth of information, and with a whole moth to use up, you will need that kind of detail.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Ann, if you think you will be able to travel even a bit during your month take a look at the Jet Airways and Indian Airlines 1 week or 3 week passes. They are VERY cost effective. Another place I would encourage you to explore a couple days in is Goa. It is an overnight train journey or 30 min flight from Bombay and is fabulos in Dec as xmas is big there. Could even be a place for your mum to recuperate on a nice beach.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:56 PM

I second the recommendation for Trishna's seafood. It has possibly the best fish we've ever eaten. Pomfret with 3-4 different seasonings. We both ordered it with a bottle of Aussie wine. The fish was 300 rupees and the wine was 1800 rupees. Oh well. We had fun in Mumbai. It is a great city and don't miss Crawford Market and the bazaars close by. Andheri (hop a train)is a great place to shop for clothes & locally made items. Prince of Wales Museum is interesting too! Tomb of Haji Ali on it's own island. Mumbai is my second favourite city, after Jaipur.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Where in Mumbai will be you based?

by the way, take a look at this -

http://www.howardsheart.com
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for everyone's input. I think that with all this good information, all should be well. We will be staying in a suite at the Jaslok hospital.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

I have another question. Does anyone know of a good tailor in Mumbai?
Thank you Ann
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Ann, you should post this question on www.indiamike.com. There are Mumbai residents on im and I'm sure someone will be able to provide assistance. Good luck.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback.
Ann
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Tailor for men's or women's clothes? In COlaba not too far from Jaslok is a shop you MUST visit called Cotton World on one of the lanes off the main COlaba Causeway. 2nd or 3rd left, there is a small signboard pointing out Cotton World. Near that is a shop which does tailoring - Golden something. Sorry cannot remember exact name. The Oberoi shopping arcade I mentioned earlier also has some tailors. For mens clothes go to the Raymond showroom at Fort, choose fabric there and they have IMO the best tailors in the business.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 11:15 PM

If I am not mistaken Jaslok hospital is on pedder road. At the corner of Pedder road and Carmichael (about two block from jaslok hospital) is a strip mall. In this strip mall there is a tailor I have used. They are pretty good. I find that the tailors at the oberoi are okay at making indian outfits only. Another place I like is Sheetal Design Studio on Grant Road. They have good fabric and their tailors are much better than those at Oberoi. Manish Malhotra a pretty well know Indian desinger has a store on the first floor of Sheetal Design Studio. When you enter Sheetal, there is a separte entrace on your left. If you buy your fabric from them they will also tailor it for you. Their tailors are excellent.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:27 PM

I am originally from Mumbai. If anyone needs a serviced apartment to stay, feel free to let me know.

I am not adding much info, since everything seems to be covered. However if you do want to try what the locals do, let me know.