How to travel form village of Jamkhed to Udaipur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter will be meeting us in Udaipur in December. The difficulty is that she is in a small village called Jamkhed near Pune and Amednagar. We have checked into flights from Pune to Udaipur. It takes all day and costs like $500 US dollars. Does anyone know of a driver (tour co.)that might drive up or another way of travel. It does not seem to be connected by railroad-at least not from what I can see. Please help!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 04:43 PM

Hi again. Saving money is going to require some planning by your daughter and may not necessarily save time. Very cheap Mum-Del flts are available on auction on www.indiatimes.com if you book about 3 wks in advance. From Del there is an Udaipur flt. Udaipur is driveable from Ahmedabad - but these are all long drives.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 04:43 PM

Hi again. Saving money is going to require some planning by your daughter and may not necessarily save time. Very cheap Mum-Del flts are available on auction on www.indiatimes.com if you book about 3 wks in advance. From Del there is an Udaipur train or the flt will prob be cheaper too. Udaipur is driveable from Ahmedabad - but these are all long drives.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 05:55 AM

If your daughter is already in India (or when she gets there), her friends or a local travel agent should be able to give options on flights and trains and would probably be the best source of reliable information. Based on my searching, I think she could do the whole trip in a half-day for about $300.

You may have already learned that the website for the Indian National Railways (see below ) is very hard to use. I have done some searching, and I think her cheapest and fastest way would be take a train from Pune to Mumbai (3 hours) and then a Jetairways or Indian Air flight to Udaipur (about 1.5 hours, not stop). The round trip fare is about $260 on either airline, I would use Jetairways over Air India as it is better and more reliable. I could not for the life of me get a fare for the train from Pune to Mumbai, but I cannot imagine that it would be more than $50 roundtrip at most.

Flights from Mumbai to Udaipur on Jetairways are:

# 9W 3405, departs 5:10 pm ? arrives Udaipur 6:55 pm, runs every day but Saturday
# 9W 373, departs 5:55 am ? arrives Udaipur 7:10 am, runs daily

To make these flights, she could take the following trains:

#7032 Mumbai Express, departs Pune 9:10 am arrives Mumbai 1:25 pm, runs daily

She would then have a few hours to get to Mumbai airport for the afternoon flight.

Or she could take the following night train;

# 6010 Mumbai Mail, departs Pune 11:00 pm, arrives Mumbai 4:00 am, runs daily

This is a very early morning arrival, but should give her enough time to get to the airport to make the 6 am flight.

Please have someone confirm the train times, as I am not sure I read the schedules correctly. I always like to speak to someone in person about train times in India!

Return flights from Udaipur to Mumbai:

#9W 709, departs 8:15 am, arrives Mumbai 9:30 am, runs daily
#9W 3406, departs 7:25 pm, arrives Mumbai 9:10 pm

I was too exhausted to try to get a return train schedule. Hopefully, you can take it from here.

www.indianrail.gov.in. - state railway of (India)
http://www.jetairways. - private airline in India, very good
http://indian-airlines.nic.in - state-run airline, domestic schedule

Your best bet may be to call, fax or e-mail the Indian National Railways office for foreign tourists:

International Tourist Bureau
Indian National Railways
New Delhi Railway Station
Phone : 91-11-3405156,3346804,
Fax: 91-11-3343050
E-mail: [email protected]

Lastly, I would strongly recommend against driving this or going by bus, as the drive would be very long indeed (take a look at a map) and the roads in many areas are liable to be poor. The distance between the two cities is about 600 miles.

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the info.

It does look like it will be a whole day of travel regardless, even though the actual flight and train times are shorter. Cicerone, the costs that you listed were quite a bit less than what I found. For a round trip, it seemed like it was closer to $600. $230 isn't bad. Am I reading it wrong, I wonder.
She is living in India since August and loves it of course.
Figuring out this trip has been quite a challenge.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 11:30 PM

From my research the $600 was correct if she wanted to fly from Pune to Udaipur. Flying from a major city like Mumbai is cheaper and non stop, while going from Pune would involve several changes and cost more. (Kind of the opposite of the US where changes and using non-hub airports are cheaper).

Good luck with this. I am sure you will enjoy India as much as your daughter.