Reload this Page >

Malaysia/Thailand during August

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Minita

Hi! I want to visit one of the luxury beach resorts in Malaysia/Thailand during mid-August for a period of 3-4 days. Just to relax and enjoy but not looking for a very isolated and a private place. We would like if there is a little bit (not much) to do besides stay at the resort.

Can someone please help me to choose from the following places considering (1) our above criteria and (2) weather. I’ve heard so much about these places but I’m totally confused and have absolutely no clue on which one to choose. There is

1.Phuket
2.Langkawi
3.Koh samui
4.Krabi
5.Any other places which I have missed (but not Bali).

Please someone help… This is a gift for my husband for his birthday so don’t want to go wrong anywhere.

Old May 25th, 2005, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. August is dry season in Malaysia which means it is a good time to travel to beach resorts.
There are several luxury reasorts:
1. Four Seasons, Datai, Andaman in Langkawi. There's a bit of sight-seeing and duty-free shopping in Langkawi, as well as golf.

2. Pangkor Laut. Very luxurious but quiet private island.

3. Tanjong Jara in Dungun, Terengganu. Luxury resort on the east coast. Some sight-seeing can be done in nearby towns.
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:44 AM

Stick to the Gulf Coast and islands for Thailand in August, Koh Samui if you want busy resort island, Koh Chang for quiet resort island, Koh Tao if you are into snorkeling and scuba, Hua Hin if you want mainland beach quiet.
Give an idea of your budget, USD 50/100/150/200/300/no limt etc so we can suggest specific places within your budget
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Minita

Hi James.. I have spent three hours reading your review today and all of them were excellent. I was hoping that you would reply to my message. I think Koh Samui or Phuket should be ideal considering we want a mix of both. Budget would be around USD 100 to 200. If it is Phuket, I was very confused between the sheraton, The Meridien, The Chedi... and the list was just getting bigger. But after reading your reviews about Kata Thani I went on their website and things looked great. What would you sugges in Phuket or Koh Samui given my budget.

Old May 26th, 2005, 10:05 AM

For August weather will dictate, Koh Samui in August has about 5.6 ins of rain in the month, Phuket about 10.3, so you are looking at double, however, August is peak season for Samui so the rates are higher whilst Phuket rates are well low. If it is lazing on the beach and pool time you want then Samui would be far better choice, but just remember the heavy discounts low season on Phuket if you are prepared to gamble on the weather, you could have solid sunshine or just the occassional shower, or heavy, or prolonged.

Sheraton Phuket is up Laguna way, fairly quiet area, Chedi is further down the coast, quiet area, there are 2 Meridiens, Meridien resort is nestled in it's own bay between Patong and Karon, a good place but has about 5 floors so you could get stuck up high, the other Meridien is the yacht Club at the quiet Nai Harn beach south of Kata, not a yacht club by the way. Kata Thani I still think is a great balance based on price, quality and location, quiet enough but easy to get to restaurants and shopping.

On Samui peace resort good value, we have also been talking about Regenct Chaweng on Samui and Poppies, but rtemember than August is a peak season for Samui. Samui is nice island with more places 'right on the beach' than Phuket but both are very tourist porientated, that is fine if that is in your requirements. On Phuket the Kata beach Resort and Karon beach resort are good value for moneyy right on the beach places.

Now you've said 3/4 days so very short trip, where are you flying in from and where onwards, you can fly into Samui direct from Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur is starting(not sure dates of that start), Phuket you can fly in from Bangkok, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, also from Hong Kong on Dragonair but you need to check on that as they had stopped for a while.
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Minita

Ok.. great.. I will check the rates for Koh Samui hotels as the first priority. Will check the Regent Chaweng and Poppies. If it is way off the budget then will go to Phuket. In Phuket, I guess will stick to one of the Kata Resorts (Which is better between Kata Thani, Kata Beach and Karon Beach.?). I am thinking of spending 2-3 days either in KL or Bangkok and then take an onwards flight to Koh samui or Phuket. So all in all it will be like a 7-8 days trip which sounds perfect.. Don’t think my boss is going to give me more leave than that Once again thanks a million for the insight. I had almost given up planning this trip with the number of islands people were coming up with.. I’m glad I have managed to narrow them to two and amongst them to just two to three hotels…

Old May 29th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Minita

Hi! James,
I’m again confused between the Phuket hotels…

1.Sheraton Grande Laguna – I’m aware that the resort is in the Laguna area, which is far off from Phuket town and Patong Beach. But we were getting good rates by our travel agent ($70) and my husband is quiet fond of Sheraton. I was wondering that besides the far off location, how is the hotel property per se.
2.Also, how is the Hilton Arcadia considering (after looking at a map) that it is also situated between Phuket Town and Patong Beach?
Thanks once again

Old May 30th, 2005, 03:33 AM

Ok, firstly let me explain the differences between Patong beach and Phuket Town.

Phuket Town has some old style building but also modern, there sadly is very very little to see there at all, a pity as some fine 100 year old Sino-Portuguese building but usually in the suburbs. It used to be worth going ( when I lived on Phuket ) for the shopping mall and occassionaly a movie, however, with 3 new large malls in the center of the island plus a ciniplex any reason to go into Phuket town has evaporated, and I doubt there is anything there if interest, some take a trip in but I think most would agree there actually isn't anything to see or do.

Patong Beach roughly just south of center on west coast is a lively, crowded and busy resort town and beach. This is where you find lots of tailor and souvenir shops, street stalls, night markets, restaurants, bars, clubs etc. Not that much to do daytime except beach or some shopping but certainly in the evnings it's good fun whatever your taste.

Laguna area is roughly 30 minutes north of Patong, you need a taxi, and you need to bargain a lot for a fare back there at night. The area has mainly top end expensive hotels and resorts, prices to match.

Phuket Hilton was the Arcadia, now they call it the Hilton Arcadia, it is a large block of a hotel, popular with conferences etc, it is across the Beach Road from the beach at Karon. Karon is 10-15 minutes south of Patong and just a few minutes north of Kata, a nice beach area.

Now plenty will praise staying in a Sheraton or Hilton, I won't ! Everyone has their own tastes and far be it for me to suggest how someone else spends their bucks, however....if you are spending so much to get to a Thai Island I would 'suggest' that you take the opportunity to perhaps stay in a nice and comfortable place but somewhere where you actually feel you are really is a more Thai place, yes, I know the big corporation hotels put in some elephant statues etc etc but I think you miss out a lot if you 'remote yourselves' too much. This is where I get to do my plug for the kata Thani resort. A nice resort, naturally Thai, choice of rooms, close to Karon and close enough to Patong, if you want a nice good standard resort hotel I think it's an excellent choice.
I am thinking perhaps along the lines of if someone asked you for a really 'nice' place to stay in your own hometown where they copuld find quality comfort but at the same time feel 'part' of your hometown with some character, question is would you suggest the local Hilton, Sheraton or similar or would you suggest some real nice place, hey, I don't know what your answer would be but I think you get the idea.
I am not knocking such places but again, you are flying half way around the world, make it worthwhile and swop some of the 'reliable home grown' things for something of quality home grown and I think you will enjoy the memories more. There are lots of things to see and do, Hideaway Spa at the foothills of Patong is a great jungle style local spa, a quarter of the price of a top hotel spa, around Kata, Karon lots of great restaurants,
another place worth mentioning is Mom Tri's Boathouse, great restaurant there too.
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Minita

I agree… I think I can now see from where you are coming… I guess it is going to be a lot of fun and a whole new experience to stay in a resort other than the big hotel chains.. Thank you once again….

Old May 31st, 2005, 01:15 AM

just this week an expat told me in bkk that she likes the august time frame the best of any as it smells so fresh...the rain is limited and lasts not all that much time each day...i found this very interesting
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:49 AM

A potential soul mate of mine ! I actually 'love' the rain, after long hote days and days and on and on the rain is great, it cleans and clears the air, far better of course away from the city but suddenly the dust goes away and nice grass lawn, the flowers, there are some amazing flowers on Thailand that make the whole garden seem like an aromatherapy spa, I really love it.
Sitting anywhere in a tropical country on a wooden verandah with the water tap tap on the roof whilst feet up with a great book to me is one of the most relaxing feelings you can get.
After the rains the scenary everywhere, in particular in rural and scenic areas take on a whole new perspective, I bet every scenic phot taken of lush green lands is just after the rain.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 09:31 PM

A co-incidence that Bob pushed the post up… I totally agree with both of you’ll . Today, Bombay saw its first rain and it is absolutely heaven.. And not to mention it’s the weekend. J But this just triggered my thought for my upcoming trip to Ko samui. I understand that Ko Samui will have less rain than Phuket .. But how hot is it? If its way too hot then maybe Phuket with rains is better than hot and humid Ko Samui.. James, what will be the weather like in Ko samui in July in terms of the heat…