Notices

Ko Phi Phi or Phuket

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ko Phi Phi or Phuket

Im going to thailand w my boyfriend for 2 1/2 weeks and we're doing 3 days in bkk, 3 days in Chiang mai, but confused if we should stay in Ko phi phi or phuket. We are from NY and we like the convenience of having restaurant selections, we are also certified divers. From all the resaerch ive done, phiphi sounds like it hasnt recoverd from the tsunami. We are stayinh at the shagrila in bkk and the chedi in chiang mai, any recomendations for phuket or ko phi phi.

Please help!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 12:21 AM

Very different places in all senses, size, development and so on. Phi Phi is a small island for relaxation, snorkeling etc, Phuket is highly developed just totaly larger busy island.
So an either or depends whether you want a small relaxing place of a busy lively place.
If you are looking for a comprehensive range of restaurants and nightlife/shopping then Phuket, but they are so very different.
On Phuket there are plenty of high end properties, from 2 1/2 weeks seems you are looking at 12/13 days, then simply spend say 3 or 4 days on Phi Phi and the rest on Phuket, easy solution and covers the best options of both places.

You would fly into Phuket anyhow to get to Phi Phi.
Top end on Phi Phi like Zeavola ( a fovote of leigh's who will no doubt come in on that ).
For Phuket there are a good range of top end places but before paying 'huge amounts' for a hotel appreciate that you do not have to go total top end to stay in a great place on Phuket.

On Phuket choosing your beach really comes before choosing hotel/resor, although you can get place to place depends if you are happy with a 40 minutes each way trip to busy places or prefer to be close, or 20 mins away.

Also whether you plan to spend most of your time at your resort or whether you want to take day trips and tours, although easily done regardless of which beach you stay, again, if you want to pay top dollar for pool villas or whatever fine, but you don't have to stretch the bank balance to stay in comfort.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank You for your advise JamesA, I just didnt want to be stuck in a town where everything is run down like I thought phuket might be. We went to Hilo on the Big Island which also suffered from the damages of tsunami in the 90s and left after being there for a few hrs, due to a post apocalyptic look and rainy weather.
I am also a type of person that gets restless and cannot just sit on the beach therefore would like the convenience of shops and transportation to other islands. Kamala beach sounds ideal, but I read that everything has been shut down and theres really nothing there anymore due to the damages. I dont want to stay in Patong and be right smack in the middle of everything. I also read that Bang Thao beach is nice but sounds pretty far from everything.
You had mentioned about nice accomodations and not have to break the bank, could u please reccomend some and include which beach they are located.

Thanks again for all your help
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:37 PM

It sounds like you expect to have around 10 days in the south. From what you say I feel that would be too long on Phi Phi,though you really must spend some time there. The best hotels on Phi Phi are Zeavola, Holiday Inn, and Island Village, all in the north of the island and pretty isolated, particularly in the evening. Nevertheless VERY beautiful. Tonsai Bay is the hub of the island and the area which took the brunt of the Tsunami.Far from being rebuilt, completely, it does have a good selection of shops,bars,restaurants and hotels and dive shops. Barracuda Dive shop being one I can reccommend. There is allways a real buzz around here.

As James says there is a big choice of good hotels on Phuket and much more action here which may be what you want. You may find some useful info on our site
www.leightravelclub.com
feel free to e'mail if you would like more detailed info

If you haven't been to Thailand before, prepare to be completely captivated by a beautiful country and wonderful people.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Not asure where the Phuket reference "run down like I thought phuket might be" comes from.

ASlso the " read that everything has been shut down and theres really nothing there anymore due to the damages" is total incorrect/wrong information.

http://www.beachsiam.com/kamala_beach.html

http://www.beachsiam.com/phuket.html

If you can get the kamal beach Hotel resort itself that is 3 star on the beach and nice, good value.
The manathai at Surin beach is nice but not on the beach, the Surin beach resort is on the beach, but at this late stage it is honestly going to be a case of what you can get.
For accommodation within 20 days there is a great site that lists instantly exactly what rooms are available and where, we can get to that once you let us know your budget and the dates.

Have you got Chiang Mai accommodation sorted ?

There is only one non stop per day Chiang Mai to Phuket and that is on Thai, it takes 2 hrs, if you don't get that non stop you need to fly via bangkok and you can almost waste a day.

I have just noticed that you are comming within a few weeks, this is absolute Peak season and unfortuanately it is not going to be the case of 'choosing' a place to stay but more 'where you can find rooms'.

If you can tell us the dates you will be in Phuket/Phi Phi and your budget range, during peak season what can cost USD 450 could be 150 or less low season.

Remember Cusios that a lot of information on the internet is 'out of date' and often you cannot see 'when' it was posted !

Kamala 'was' hit hard by the Tsunami but everything was fixed up and sorted ages ago, the immediate response was superb and Kamala was back to normal ages and ages ago. I was not in Phuket at the Tsunami but was down there a few weeks later and have been down I guess 8-10 times since, Kamala was well fixed up.

As there has been for years non stop construction including road works I am certain peoeple actualy got confused, classic report was about the ruined main roads, they were not touched by the tsunami, it was simply 'road works'! In Patong the water just about 'touched' the 2nd Road.
Without wishing to go off-topic or sideways there was a huge immediate response to the tragedy and sadly a lot of misinformation.

Relax and enjoy.