Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

A donation to the Ponheary Ly Foundation makes a great holiday gift!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like so many other Fodorites, I have been busy with the mad rush of holiday shopping.
But when I stopped to think about all this shopping for a moment, I realized that none of the adults on my list really “need” anything. I remembered back to my visit to the Cambodian school with Ponheary earlier this year….just $12 buys the school supplies for a child for a full year.

So, instead of trekking around to stores or doing online shopping, I visited the website for the Ponheary Ly Foundation ( http://theplf.org/ ) and made a donation online. The adults in my family will receive a note in their stockings telling them that instead of a getting a gift they don’t really need, they are making a difference in the lives of kids in Cambodia.

Making a donation to the Ponheary Ly Foundation is really the best kind of holiday giving. It feels great…and sure beats a visit to the mall.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:45 AM

That's a great idea, cruisinred. It's amazing the difference such a small amount can make in a child's life in Cambodia. Once you have been there and seen the children, it is impossible not to think of how little it takes for such a big impact.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 12:16 PM

If advertising is a no no on this site then soliciting for donations should also be. Ponheary may be doing a great job in Siem Reap but there are lots of others doing good work in other parts of Cambodia.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Scotters, its not like crusin is an employee of the Ponheary Ly Foundation. There are many on this forum that have used her and it was a nice thought. Lighten up.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 01:09 PM

I agree it's a good idea to make mention of ALL the great organizations we've run across not only in Cambodia but in other developing countries who are making a difference.

The PLF is only one of many.

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Good point, Lori.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 01:56 PM

I think Ponheary's good works have struck a chord with many of the fodorites, especially since some of them have actually visited and seen what she is doing.

Thank you for the timely reminder cruisinred. I just made a donation and even bought some raffle tickets, too! We hope to visit with Ponheary next week.

And if any of you have special charities, you're free to announce them here as well..
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:02 PM

I just made a donation as a Christmas present to my mom -- what struck me about Lori's video is all the smiling faces. I have never seen so many people with so very little look so happy as I did when I visited Cambodia. It really stuck me then and it did again when I watched the video on the web site.

Mentioned before, but no harm in putting it here, www.kiva.org offers micro-lending programs in developing countries on the trade-not-aid formula.