koh samui or phuket in august

Mar 20th, 2002, 09:56 PM
RJ

koh samui or phuket in august

thanks for update. we live abroad so the flight time to bangkok is only 6hrs. as for bangkok, we're only looking for a full day (i've been before.) we have 10days and the beach/dramatic scenary is a priority. is koh samui better than phuket in terms of beauty? what are the top places there?

Mar 21st, 2002, 01:02 PM
Barbara

Hello RJ,
first let me tell you that there's a weather issue here.Phuket has a monsoon season from May/June until October/November while Ko Samui has typhoon season in November/Dec.Hoewever i spent Christmas in Ko and only had one day of rain,no signs of typhoons.I've been in Phuket in 3 different times:June (few rainy days),September (some heavy rain) and December sunny all the way.
Hotels in Ko with dramatic scenery are:
-Baan Taling Ngam (reserve well in advance).It's located on a cliff and whatching the sun setting is unforgettable.
-Santiburi.Never stayed there but some friends told me they loved the place.
-Tognsay Bay Hotel.Very nice 4*
Phuket hotels:
-Ammanpuri is the ultimate "asian luxury",everything is beautiful here.The architecture,the pool,there are no words to describe it.Marvelous sun set.
-Phuket Yacht Club.I haven't stayed there because i found it far away from everything.But it's recomended.
Other options are the Sheraton Grande Laguna,the Dusit Laguna and Banyan Tree.They're not as posh the above but they're all 5* and they've also a lovely scenery around.You can go from one of these hotels to the others by private boat(hotel complimentary)to have dinner,to the beach or to the small outdoors mall.The hotels are relatd but separated by lagoons.
In your particular case,i would spend 3 days in Ko and the rest in Phuket.
Enjoy!
P.S-I almost forgot to mention the airport in Ko Samui.For several years it received a award for being the most beautiful small airport.

Mar 21st, 2002, 02:17 PM
Brendon

Expect double the rain in Phuket at that time of year than you would get on Koh Samui. Stary well clear of Patong beach if you go to Phuket as apart from everything else it floods in the rain and the electricity forever goes down. I'd choose Koh Samui over Phuket anyday.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:20 AM
Joelle

Went to both islands and liked them a lot.
Koh Samui is smaller than Phuket, and less "westernized", although more and more hotels and restaurants are being built.
Should you go in August, as the others said, you have to choose Samui.
We stayed a week in August (97) and had nice weather all week long, apart from occasional showers during the night, which was not a problem!

Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:08 AM
RJ

thanks for the replies. my msg at top was a mispost from another question therefore part of the itinerary was left out. missed was 3 days in chiang mai we would look to do prior to the islands. therefore it would be one island or the other.

we are pitting this trip against going to hong kong/beijing at same time. my ultimate dilemma is really between koh samui or phuket....if phuket is much more desirable than ks, we will go to china in august and do thailand another time. if not, perhaps to thailand in august. life's great dilemmas......

Mar 28th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Karl

Phuket has cheap hotels in Patong for 300 or 400 baht and you are close to the bars and everything. If you go to another beach you have to take a taxi to get to Patong beach. The best places in Patong are Bangla soi but it is busy after midnight but go to Sunset Soi and it is not so crowded.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:25 PM
Lisa

Our stay at the Ammanpuri is still one we talk about! This is truly heaven...every detail adds to the beautiful and tranquil environment. I have not seen a property like this anywhere else in the world. You will thank your lucky stars!

Have a wonderful trip.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:39 AM
Morgan

Koh Samui is better than Phuket, but they are total tourist traps. I would suggest doing some research(searches) for Kao Tao, Koh Chang, Koh Samet, all nearer to Bangkok and all on the Gulf side which will have much less rain in August, I think you will be very very surprised if you take a look at Kao Tao area.

Apr 26th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Amanda

We did Phuket and Koh Samui and Koa Tao, both the latter were lovely but we were sadly upset with Phuket. I would say Krabi(only spent the day there on our way to Koh Samui) looks very nice but I think overall Koh Samui won our hearts.