travel guide in Hong Kong

Jun 16th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

travel guide in Hong Kong

Hello,

I'm planning on going to HK in July. Usually when I travel, I like to hire a private tour guide. Can someone please recommend a one...better yet, let me know if a tour guide is even worth the expense in this city?

Thanks!
Jun 16th, 2005, 08:04 PM
cwn

Hi,

Nov '04 we tried to hire a tour guide for a day in Hong Kong. Got three different quotes - all in the US400+ range for car and driver for 8 hours. To much for my money. Did it on our own- you do not need a guide- Hong Kong is very easy to get around in. We were going to try the buses, but used taxis instead, cost was ~US$50 and we went to Aberdeen and Stanley, to cloudy to see any thing from Victoria Peak , so spent time in Kowloon instead.

Do a search for Hong Kong and cwn, you will find tons of help the board gave us back in Sept & Oct '04.

Have a good trip!
Jun 16th, 2005, 09:34 PM

There aren't that many important historical sites to see in Hong Kong, and it'd be a waste of money and time to hire someone to point out "this is the Bank of China building, this is Cheong Kong Center", etc...

Plus, it's really a place to just explore at your own pace. Stop, shop, eat wherever you want and like. I'd hate to have a stranger going everywhere with you in Hong Kong.

If you want an overview of the history of Hong Kong, the Museum of History in Tsimshatsui East is pretty decent.
Jun 17th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Yup, I agree, there is no reason to get a guide in Hong Kong. You'll want to take public transport as it's more efficient (as well as much less expensive) than having a car and driver.
Jun 17th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Agree with others. We also took the bus to Aberdeen and Stanley- I enjoyed the journey.
Jun 17th, 2005, 11:42 PM

Definitely agree ...this is one city where you would waste your time and money with a guide. Definitely agree with rkkwan re the Museum of the Histry of Hong Kong. It is fabulous. Enjoy your stay!