Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kyushu itinerary comments for honeymoon (including Yakushima)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have our air tickets held HKG-FUK, and want to see what do the Japan experts, including but not limited to hawaiiantraveler and usernameistaken, think about this itinerary.

Dec 27th. Arr FUK late afternoon. Booked ANA Hotel near Hakata JR station with points, but can switch and will likely switch. Walk around, have ramen and especially eating at the yatais.

Dec 28th. Pick up car. Quick visit to Tenmangu at Dazaifu, then continue to Kurokawa. Booked room with private outdoor bath for night of 28th at Ryokan Sanga.

Dec 29th. Hit the various springs of Kurokawa. Switch to Ayanasho at nearby Ota Onsen, booked.

[Because of high season, I cannot get two nights at same ryokan, and cannot move dates later, so these 2 nights are pretty much fixed, unless we want to give up Kurokawa.]

Dec 30th. Mount Aso, drive down to Kagoshima. Return car. Stay perhaps at the Castle Park, if only because I remembered it well during my previous visit to Kagoshima as a kid in 1985.

Dec 31st. Ferry to Yakushima. Pick up car. Stay 2 nights at, perhaps, Hana Mana.

Jan 1st. Whole day round island tour of Yakushima and/or hiking.

Jan 2nd. Late afternoon flight (only flight each day) back to FUK. Again, have ANA booked, but likely switch.

Jan 3rd. If rise early enough, will hit the pottery towns in Saga. If not, just shopping. Late afternoon flight out of FUK back to Hong Kong.

---

This is for our honeymoon, so budget isn't really an issue. We want to stay at least a couple of nights at an onsen ryokan, which is why we pick Kurokawa. Then, we want to go some "unusual" and memorable place. Funny that it was my bride-to-be who suggested Yakushima, but it is ME who absolutely love "Princess Mononoke", and she has not even watched it.

I know we're missing a lot of Kyushu, but we also don't need to rush through all the tourist sites.

Suggestions much appreciated!!!
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 03:00 AM

Congratulations & best wishes! (And I haven't the slightest idea about your questions.)
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 05:59 AM

Sanga Ryokan is wonderful. I might skip the second night in that area and try to stay at the sublime Furusato Kanko in Sakurajima if it is not too cold. Just to get a different experience. I am jealous about Yakushima - have always wanted to go!
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Congratulations and best wishes Ray!

The ANA is in the older part of Hakata next to the JR Hakata station as you mentioned. Stay in Canal City at the Grand Hyatt.....its your honeymoon and its also closer to the yatai vendors on the canal. The yatai open in the evenings and can get very crowded at times. I can taste the Hakata Ramen as I write this......tonkotso, you've got to try it and you will have many chances on Kyushu.

Don't know which route you are taking to Kurokawa but keep in mind the winter weather in the Aso region at that time of year. You may have to go via the Beppu area to Oita and Kurokawa. Going from Kumamoto would have you going over the top of Asosan and a beautiful drive but if snowing could be socked in....maybe not, check with local weather....probably beautiful though in the snow....

If you come in from the Beppu area you should stop over and see the stone buddahs of Isuki. I haven't been yet but am planning when next on Kyushu

http://www.visit-oita.jp/sightseeing...ekibutu.e.html

On your way to Kagoshima from Aso, think of stopping for a little walk at Takachiho. Linda and I did this last year and it is an amazing sight.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e8050.html

When you check in at Sanga make sure to make a reservation time for a private soak in one of their rotenburo. Preferably the big cypress one( I forget the name ....maybe Inoki? ). They will show you pictures. Do not pick the marble stone ones....not nice imho.

You will have rain on Yakushima and maybe snow in the higher elevations. I will be interested in your take on Yakushima as we would love to visit the cedar island. Got to get to work now but will be back if I think of something.....I know I am missing something about Kagoshima.....
Looks like a fantastic honeymoon Ray.

Aloha!
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for the responses and blessings. Will look into all the suggestions and adjust itinerary accordingly.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 03:28 PM

Tonkotso as I wrote above is a pork dish made on Kyushu utilizing a Kyushu black colored pig whose meat is divine.

Tonkostu is the broth that the Hakata Ramen uses as its base and is equally famous throughout Kyushu and Japan for that matter......both are oishii!!!

Try the Ramen Stadium while in Fukuoka at Canal City. Eight different restaurants on the fifth floor with eight different ramen from eight prefectures of Japan. Linda liked the Hokkaido (crab) one while I favored the Hakata Ramen.

Down the street from the ANA you mentioned is the other Hyatt of Fukuoka the Hyatt Regency Fukuoka which we stayed at a few years back that is very nice and a cheaper alternative to the Grand Hyatt in Canal City and even a better deal on points though I like the GH and its location a whole bunch more.

If you want to spend one less night in a ryokan(Oita) you might want to check out the eastern coast of Kyushu while touring the Mt Aso area and down towards Takachiho and spend that night in Miyazaki. There is a Sheraton resort there that gets high marks and is actually geared towards honeymooners and you can use spg points if you have any. I have not been but I know mrwunrfl has, maybe he will chime in soon. That way you can stop and smell the roses and take lots of pictures at the various scenic stops along the way especially if the weather is cooperating.

Boy I bet Kagoshima has changed a lot since the 80's. The shinkansen goes all the way there now. We have spent a night on Sakurajima at the Furusato Kanko but think that Sanga Ryokan has that place beat. Where are you renting your car from?

Aloha!
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 09:07 PM

Congratulations, Ray.

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency twice. In 2001, I had a nice room and access to the club room which was nice and the staff there was very helpful. The second time was last year. I liked the price in Hyatt points but the room was like a business hotel and I think the club room is permanently closed. It is an easy walk from the east side of the station, convenient to subway and shinkansen.

Looks like the ANA hotel is on the west side of the station and would be more convenient to the city sights.

Of the three hotels mentoned, and having stayed at only one of them, my preference would be GH >>> ANA > Regency.

The Sheraton Grande Ocean Resort in Miyazaki is a very nice hotel. I had a wonderful room with an ocean view. They have a nice onsen but I was surprised by the price. If you were going to Miyazaki and have a car then I would recommend it, but I think it might be out of the way of the rest of your itinerary.

I loved Takachiho for the gorge and for the Iwato Kagura at the shrine (this was a special experience for me despite the discomfort of sitting on a hardwood floor). I believe the kagura is performed every night over the winter.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I am now considering skipping the 2nd night near Kurokawa and head down the SE coast through Miyazaki before heading west to Kagoshima. Especially if I can get a nice hotel or ryokan there.

I remember that part of Kyushu very pretty, somewhat tropical.

For rental car, I need to consider drop-off rates. All included, JR is cheapest.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Ok, then Sheraton Miyazaki is a very nice hotel. Website says it is about 9 miles from Miyazak station.

You could also consider Kirishima Onsen. I can comment on one hotel there. Kirishima Jingu is worth a visit.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4628.html
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 01:48 AM

Many congratulations Ray.

Please have a look at http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e8053.html - its some years since we went to Kyushu now, but it was an area we much enjoyed. The Takachiko Gorge is lovely, but we found the temple on this link. Its quite a simple temple, but it was the idea of the temple plays that I would love to have seen, but didn't know existed. I don't know if you might be interested in seeing them, look to have wonderful costumes etc. The cedar trees in the picture are attached to some legend - I don't remember it exactly now, but I think a couple has to walk round them 3 times holding hands for future happiness (3 visiting Japanese ladies told us about this - but you may be able to figure it out from the kanji there)- nice for honeymooners!
We stayed two nights at Sanga Ryokan, Kurokawa, it was lovely with our own little private bath & great food (some of which was a mystery, but lovely).
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Just booked two nights in a villa at the Sankara Resort on Yakushima. Has to be the nicest place on the island. Quite over the top, so will keep the other nights at Fukuoka and Kagoshima simple (read: cheap). Haha...
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

We just got back from the trip, and it was really amazing, especially Yakushima. I stick with the plan, and everything worked out. Will write a detailed trip report, hopefully soon. Thanks again, everyone!
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 01:02 PM

Anxiously awaiting your report Ray. Glad you had a good time. Yakushima and Okinawa are on our short list which is always getting longer in Japan believe it or not, lol.

Aloha!
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 01:34 PM

Congratulations, Ray - I just read a blog yesterday about a trip to Yakushima - looking forward to your report also...

ht, I thought Shikoku was on your short list. ;-)
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 01:48 PM

Yes Mara, a return to Shikoku and to Hokkaido are also on that ever longer short list too

Aloha!