Winter Honeymoon in Tennessee?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancee and I have been struggling trying to pick a suitable honeymoon destination. We are getting married in early January 2011. We have looked at many out of country options and decided that it is too expensive and we would rather use that money on other things. I LOVE the beach and sand, therefore I immediately though Florida Keys but he does not get excited when I mention beach for our honeymoon. So, we are now looking to go somewhere where there is snow and it is cold. We are thinking maybe the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, TN area. Is there a lot of activities there in January? Do you think we could find fun attractions at this time of year? We have looked at many cabins online in this area and they all seem really nice. Any info. would be greatly appreciated as well as any other places that would be fun. We are from the South and would like to drive, but are willing to fly if need be. Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 07:43 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
There's no guarantee there will be snow. I'm not a big fan of Gatlinburg/PF.

If I were going somewhere for a honeymoon, I'd go here -
http://www.blackberryfarm.com/

If that's too expensive, I'd probably head to Asheville. LOTS of nice places to stay and things to do.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Be aware of two things about the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge:

1) they are in the mountains. As such, many attractions are shut down in the winter (Dollywood, for instance, is closed after January 1). Is there a reason you must have snow? Why not a place that is neither on the beach nor in nasty weather. Snow and cold may SOUND romantic, but you may spend the entire time just trying to stay warm.
:^)
Which, on a honeymoon, may not be a bad thing!

2) they almost define the term "tourist trap." They have a taken a beautiful mountain area and "gussied it up" for the purpose of convincing you to spend your money. A great area for shopping, not a place for intimacy and quiet romance.

May I instead suggest a place like Charleston or Savannah? Quiet, peaceful, historic, charming -- a great place to slow down and get to know one another. Which IS, after all, the entire purpose of a honeymoon!
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

So happy to hear some feedback! I have been to this area in TN before, that is why we have looked in this specific location. I am grateful for your honest replies. I will start to look at other areas maybe that are not tourist attractions.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 08:15 AM

The TN Smokies can be a great place for a honeymoon if you just want to get a cabin (or go somewhere like Blackberry Farm) and relax. But if you're looking for a lot of activities and don't want to hike in the cold, you're pretty much down to the Ripley's Aquarium, candy shops and the outlet malls (and a very romantic game of laser tag). You may have snow but you may just as likely not.

The one down side to going somewhere else is that you may not be able to get an airbrushed license plate with your names on it. The other suggestions are great.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

jent103---I just laughed out loud. While an airbrushed license plate and laser tag sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity, I believe that we may not be up for that much excitement. I guess we are back to square one. Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 01:05 PM

I agree w/starrs. Where are you coming from ? Is this a driving or flying honeymoon ?
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 01:39 PM

Oh, don't worry. The airbrushing and laser tag will still be there for your first anniversary trip.

(In all seriousness, I grew up in Knoxville and love the Smokies themselves, but it's pretty much impossible to deny the tourist trap nature of Gatlinburg/PF. The mountains are absolutely worth a trip at another time of year, though.)
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM

"Is there a lot of activities there in January? Do you think we could find fun attractions at this time of year? "

That's the part that's tripping me up on recommending a place. What kind of activities/attractions are you interested in? In winter? Gatlinburg/PF offers "the strip" but a lot of us avoid it like the plague. Yet, it's a perennial honeymoon location albeit on the tacky side. If you want a mountain location, Asheville is the best bet - IMO anyway. Lots of restaurants, some things to do but a beautiful place to hang out.

I agree with the earlier suggestions of Charleston, Savannah and even New Orleans. If you are okay with a beach that isn't really warm, I'd go to the Ritz on Amelia Island.

No, where I'd REALLY go is the Greyfield on Cumberland Island. There is nothing like Cumberland or the Greyfield. The price is all inclusive and they have fireplaces if the weather is cool. It won't be "beach weather" (probably) but it would be a beautiful place to walk/bike/cuddle/see the wild horses.
http://www.greyfieldinn.com/

Another Ritz option would be the Ritz on Lake Oconee about an hour out of Atlanta. It's gorgeous - it looks more like a New England resort. I'm not sure if they'll have the boats going out on the lake, but maybe. They have chimineas going outside. Very nice spa. Not a lot to do in the general area but a beautiful place to hang out. Carrie Underwood got married there not long ago. It's a gorgeous place with fabulous service. If you go with that option, you could get your snow fix at Snow Mountain at Stone Mountain park. Go tubing in the snow, make snow angels, etc. And then maybe stay at a nice hotel in Atlanta before you fly out.

If you want warmer and beach then check into the Breakers at Palm Beach or the Ritz at Naples.

If "activities" = hiking then you may enjoy the NE corner of Georgia. There are cabins to rent and a very nice B&B -
http://www.beechwoodinn.ws/stekoa-suite.html
They do wonderful themed dinners (which may coincide with your stay) and offer local wines. There's a little town to stroll, lots of hiking options, two state parks, a famous Southern style restaurant, the Dillard House, horseback riding, a tiny restaurant that serves only seafood fresh from the coast on the weekends, and more mountain towns a short drive away. It's less than 2 hours from Atlanta - and less than 2 hours from Asheville if you want to go there on a day trip.

A lot depends on how you want to spend your honeymoon and what "activities/attractions" mean to you.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

We are coming from Louisiana, so New Orleans is a definite no--usually go twice a year. We are planning on driving if our destination is under 10 hours but if not we are willing to fly. As far as "activities/attractions" well, let me see if I can better clarify. We would love to be able to ski/tube (at least try to) but if there is no snow where we go it would not be a disappointment. We like to see plays, listen to live bands, try new sports or adventure tours offered in the area, but mostly for our honeymoon we would like to relax, hang out and spend some time with each other. Although I am not sure where exactly we are going, I do know we will have fun when we get there! Thank you all so much for helping me figure this out!
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 04:42 PM

The ski areas will have snow for tubing and skiing. Cataloochee may be the closest. I think Asheville would be your best bet, especially when it comes to live music. I vote for Asheville
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Go to Charleston and at least escape "tacky". REally. And have a GREAT life!! ;o)
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Starrs has some great ideas.

Another suggestion would be St. Augustine. There are lots of really nice inns, plenty of attractions and a great beach at Anastasia state park if you want.

Also agree about Charleston and Savannah, though I would take Charleston over Savannah as there is more to do.

If you are set on Smokey mountain area check out these cabins in Sevierville we love them. The outdoor hot tubs in winter are really great, especially for a honeymoon.

www.oakhavenresort.com

Enoy your honeymoon.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Sometimes life is so mean...

You're getting married... and a perfect world would have some fantabulous honeymoon locale just leap out at you, without having to obtain the idea from anybody.

Kudos to you for having your ears, eyes and thoughts open to ideas from others. You still have such a tough puzzle, given the winter factors.

Hopefully air fares will be quite reasonable in the middle of January, after everyone else just returned from their holiday trips.

I'm sure if you dared to make plans for Utah or Colorado (when chasing the snow), you'd find the cold was exceptionally severe just because you decided to go there in 2011.

If you do end up flying to somewhere... once you resign yourself to flying, the airfares to various spots aren't that prohibitive to keep you from taking a LONG domestic trip compared with a short one.

What about the west coast? There must be spots in California which are suitable for beaches and snow activities with a fairly short trip in either direction.

Even Portland (Oregon), Seattle, and Vancouver (Canada) have lots of alternatives for snow activities.

I'd sure like for your answer to remain 'special' to you, and to be significant even if not extravagant and expensive.

What if you just hunt for great airfares, and use Priceline.com on hotels, and let yourself go a bit farther from your home juuuuuuuuuuust because it is your honeymoon?

(I guess this means that I don't have the 'magical answer' for you... but do keep searching eagerly!)
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Oh heck, I'm still sympathetic to the "honeymoon" part:

I think a good candidate would be to fly to Seattle and then go to "Vancouver, Canada" for your honeymoon.

Can't promise snow on the ground there in mid-January, but you can go 10 miles out of the center of town and take a GONDOLA 3000 feet up the side of a mountain and be at a ski area in minutes.

Vancouver has the added appeal of being 'foreign' to you (not too much different though)... and the costs will be favorable for lodging in January.

It will be mildly chilly (especially the rain)... but warmer than is most of North America in the middle of January. There is enough to DO in central Vancouver to make for lots of fun no matter rain or shine. (and FYI - the rain is the sort that falls gently and doesn't force everybody to run for cover, but it falls all day or all month, and not just for 10 minutes!)

Don't know where in Louisiana you're at... but if you flew from, say, Houston it is about $100 less than from Shreveport.

FYI - Vancouver, Canada always wins the award for "Most livable city in North America", year after year! It is far enough from you to be significant, and in the off-season the costs may prove affordable and comfortable to you.