Kanazawa hotel: Nikko or Sanraku?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a trip to Kanazawas in January, we're trying to decide on a hotel. We're travelling to Kanazawa mainly mainly for the Kenroku-en garden.

Two hotels that have been recommended are the Nikko, which is near the train station, and the Sanraku, which is near the garden.

Most review sites rate them at approximately equal levels.

Locations are clear, but service, decor, breakfast, etc. are less clear. I'd appreciate any advice on which to choose.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 03:48 PM

I was in Kanazawa last year but did not stay at either of the two hotels you are considering. By looking at Google map, I'd say that Sanraku is too isolated. It has the vast castle park to its west, two court houses to its south, a district prosecutors office to its east, and a hospital to its north. I'd think the area would be too quiet in the evenings.

Kanazawa train station is a very bustling area. There is a 500Yen day-pass for the frequent loop bus which connects the train station, Kenroku-en garden, Omicho market, and many other tourist sites.

If you like sushi, don't forget to eat at Mori Mori Sushi. One location in the Omicho market (open till 4pm), one next to the train station on the 6th floor of the Forus building (open till 11pm). They are conveyor-belt style, but you place order from the touch screen in front of you and the sushi will be made to your order.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 05:39 PM

We stayed at the Sanraku and enjoyed our visit. As you already know it is away from the station, a 5-10 minute taxi ride but an easy walk to the castle, Kenrokuen gardens and the Higashi Chaya district (a slightly longer walk).

It’s an older, well maintained property in a quiet location that caters to a predominantly Japanese clientele as far as we could see. Excellent service from the staff and there is a sento at the lobby level separated for men and women. Breakfast was a buffet of western and Japanese food.

The only downside was the lack of restaurants nearby, but otherwise we wouldn’t hesitate to stay again as we both love Japanese baths.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 12:32 AM
kja

I have no experience with either hotel, but can say that I thoroughly enjoyed roaming Kanazawa at night -- from a hotel near its train station -- and dining in one of the restaurants featuring Kanazawa's cuisine in that lively part of town.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curiousgeo
We stayed at the Sanraku and enjoyed our visit. As you already know it is away from the station, a 5-10 minute taxi ride but an easy walk to the castle, Kenrokuen gardens and the Higashi Chaya district (a slightly longer walk).

It’s an older, well maintained property in a quiet location that caters to a predominantly Japanese clientele as far as we could see. Excellent service from the staff and there is a sento at the lobby level separated for men and women. Breakfast was a buffet of western and Japanese food.

The only downside was the lack of restaurants nearby, but otherwise we wouldn’t hesitate to stay again as we both love Japanese baths.
I found a review that called the Sanraku old and dated. Sounds as if you agree with old but not dated?

Originally Posted by kja
I have no experience with either hotel, but can say that I thoroughly enjoyed roaming Kanazawa at night -- from a hotel near its train station -- and dining in one of the restaurants featuring Kanazawa's cuisine in that lively part of town.
I worry that lively means noisy. We like hotel rooms that are very quiet at night so that we can sleep better. Should noise be a concern?
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 08:07 AM

i spent two nights at the Nikko and think t hat the location is excellent; across the street from the train station and easy taxi ride to the gardens, where you will need at least a morning, or afternoon. Once you get back to the Nikko, you are within easy walk to restaurants--either upscale places (one night we had shabu shabu at a place recommended by the EXCELLENT concierge. The other night we ate in a conveyor belt sushi place in the train station, where there are also grocery shops and other place to spend time if you so decide. The concierge at the Nikko was just superb. Room is not large, but has all we needed. I would not hesitate to go back.

From there we took the train to a ryokan not far away from Kanazawa, the Kayotei:

https://www.ryokancollection.com/ryokan/kayotei/

And from there, train to Kyoto.

High priase for the Nikko, but beware that the hotel's restaurants are very pricey; our room came with breakfast, extensive and impressive!!
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
Room is not large, but has all we needed.
High priase for the Nikko, but beware that the hotel's restaurants are very pricey; our room came with breakfast, extensive and impressive!!
How was the nighttime noise level in the room?

Speaking of room size, do you remember which room category you had?
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 03:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We were in Kanazawa for 4 nights in September. We stayed at a Mistui Gardens about a 10-15 minute walk to the garden. It had opened earlier int he year. We enjoyed our time there and found it quiet and conveneiently located for sightseeing. We walked everywhere.

Last edited by yestravel; Dec 13th, 2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 09:42 PM

We just left Kanazawa a week ago. We stayed at the ANA Crowne Plaza, which is right next to Kanazawa Station, and found the area convenient to bus and train transportation as well as a multitude of places to eat. The Nikko is close by, so it those are your two choices, I would suggest that the Nikko is better located. As others have mentioned you can get a one-day bus pass for 500 yen (about $5 U.S.) that allows you to see major sights. This "loop" bus is right at Kanazawa Station.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 02:21 AM

Number of guests:
Number of Rooms:
Room Type:
LUXE Floor Double-Non Smoking
Room Description:
No-Smoking 22SQM 238SQFT 1 bed room. High floor located 26th floor and 28th floor. View good. Free Wi-Fi.
Rate Type:
BED AND BREAKFAST
Rate Description:
Breakfast Included Commissionable Airline FFP Mileage Not Eligible. Kanazawa City Accommodation Tax will be collected from April 1 2019. Tax amount depends on room rate per person per night Under JPY 20000-JPY 200. from JPY 20000 and up - JPY 500 An accommodation tax per person per night is NOT included in the price and must be paid at the property.
Daily Room Rate:

Abvoe shows the room I booked...Monday, May 13, 2019 JPY 26,700.00
Tuesday, May 14, 2019 JPY 26,700.00
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
i spent two nights at the Nikko and think t hat the location is excellent; across the street from the train station and easy taxi ride to the gardens, where you will need at least a morning, or afternoon. Once you get back to the Nikko, you are within easy walk to restaurants--either upscale places (one night we had shabu shabu at a place recommended by the EXCELLENT concierge. The other night we ate in a conveyor belt sushi place in the train station, where there are also grocery shops and other place to spend time if you so decide. The concierge at the Nikko was just superb. Room is not large, but has all we needed. I would not hesitate to go back.

From there we took the train to a ryokan not far away from Kanazawa, the Kayotei:

https://www.ryokancollection.com/ryokan/kayotei/

And from there, train to Kyoto.

ekscrunchy, if you’re reading this, would you share your experience at the Kayotei ryokan? It looks lovely and would work well in my itinerary.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 10:32 AM

Crowne Plaza Kanazawa

We arrived in Kanazawa by airport bus, having just taken a domestic flight from Tokyo. The bus disembarked at the train station, which is the hub for all transportation in the city, including buses, taxis, and trains. We walked straight through the train station to the opposite (East) exit of the train station. The Crowne Plaza is just to the right of the striking Tsuzumi-mon drum gate to the station. Location could not be better for getting to and from the city and traveling around it.
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 03:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
progol, we had an excellent stay at the Nikko!
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 06:56 PM

Nikko Hotels is a nice Japanese international hotel chain. I can't imagine there was any of the noise that the OP was concerned about. I haven't stayed there but it is in a good location.

In four visits to Kanazawa I stayed at a Holiday Inn, one APA hotel, and twice at the APA in Katamachi. The HI was memorable only because it had a Western bath, like the old standalone type. The one APA was just a typical cheap business hotel. The Katamachi one, which is across the street, has a rooftop outdoor bath (not rotenburo, i think, because probably not hot springs water, but still). Inexpensive and the rooms are tiny, tight. Not a great neighborhood.
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 07:44 AM

Hotel Nikko Kanazawa has twin rooms at 31-32 square meters ( 333-344 square ft). I have a reservation to stay there for my upcoming trip in July.

In Japan, twin rooms are usually larger than double rooms. If the hotel's own website does not display room size, then check on booking.com or your favorite hotel booking site, which may show room size.

Hotel Nikko (ホテル日航, Hoteru Nikkō) is an international chain affiliated with Japan Airlines.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 07:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
When we stayed at the Nikki there wasn’t any noise. Very nice experience.