Kajane Mua -- any experience?

Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Kajane Mua -- any experience?

So it's somewhat official. My DH's summer work schedule has taken a bit of a shift--so we've had to accommodate and move our trip Bali trip up from May to early April.

We'll be missing out on the infamous May Bali GTG (and Bob and Andy may admittedly never be the same) but at least we're able to go on our trip...and that's the most important part.

Which leads me to rebooking questions: our 2 hotels that were originally booked (Komaneka Monkey Forest & Komaneka Tanggyuda) are unfortunately booked during our new dates.

So I've spent the better portion of this evening looking at many new options in Ubud.

I've been able to narrow it down to what seems like a good mix: 4 nights in Kajane Mua and 3 nights at Alam Shanti.

Since I know nothing of Kajane Mua (although slightly more than we wanted to spend) I was hoping someone could let me know something--anything about it--it looks very nice, right in them middle of town...and gets great TA reviews. But I trust y'all more than anyone else, so any advice?
Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Also interested in hearing about Pita Maha Resort...again, if anyone knows of it.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

...nothing? Dang!
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:08 AM

I can only tell you that the Pandas and the RHK's are booked into the Kajane Mua for part of our trip. We had a bit of touble getting our requested villa as they didn't get our deposit in time. In the end it got sorted out and we are sharing one of the larger villas, with our own pool.

Of course it goes without saying, we think the Alam Shanti is an excellent choice. A bit out of town(5min car ride in their shuttle) or a 10 min walk into Ubud thru monkey forrest.

Sorry we are going to miss you.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Me too, Karen. Me, too.

Turns up Alam Shanti is of course booked. Something about that hotel--it just is never free when we try and book it.

Anyway, I now need to find a decent hotel in/very near Ubud town (which is why Monkey Forest was perfect) since we're spending the 2nd half of our time in Ubud on the outskirts in a more isolated area...so would like to spend the first part in the middle of things.

Kajane is our backup, but I'd prefer to find somewhere a little closer in price to Alam Shanti ($150-200/night max)...all of Alam Shanti's sister properties are also sold out, so those options are out.

Any suggestions?
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:20 PM

We have stayed at Kajane several times in the Toya Uma villa. We absolutely loved having our own private pool; nothing was better than coming home after a long day and floating around with a view of palms and banana trees. It was right on Monkey Forest Road, so very close to shops and restaurants. The villas are Balinese style with indoor/outdoor bathrooms and a huge stone bathtub in the garden and a roomy shower.

The cons: The bed is not up against the wall, so not easy to sit up and read, etc. The lighting is low, so not easy to read at night. The seating is mainly outside on your private patio, so if you are prone to mosquito bites you wouldn't want to sit out there at night.

In spite of the cons we've really enjoyed our stays there. The staff was wonderful in taking us anywhere in town for dining or performances, and we enjoyed having a beer in the restaurant and watching the comings and goings on the street.

If you are considering Komaneka, the newest one, Bisma, is located directly in back of Kajane on Jalan Bisma, and we were offered a very good price for a room there since it wasn't as well known. It has lovely junior suites and a beautiful, very long pool. It is more hotel like, but the room was very well appointed and the view was out to the rice fields and forest.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:28 PM

JB sounds fantastic
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Komaneka Bisma is the only one of their properties that was available during our dates and it was well over $300/night--completely outside our budget range.

Since we've already got our 'splurge' hotel in Ubud (for the 2nd half) nailed down, I'm still on the hunt for a cheaper place in town in the $150-200 range.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM

Wow - it has gone up considerably from what we paid. Sorry about that. Are you looking for that to be inclusive of tax and breakfast?
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Yes, preferably.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:58 PM

Putu has usually been pretty good with suggestions. If you tell him your budget, he may have some ideas. He's the one who found me Kajane back before it became popular.

Tegal Sari is not fancy, but was fine and comes in well under your budget.