The acceptable $9 hotels in Asia?

Sep 15th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

The acceptable $9 hotels in Asia?

After reading a post by Kerouac I am intrigued, excited and very hopeful that this is not only true, but that many of you have names of lowcost lodgings you are willing to share in Asia, namely Thailand, Malaysia, Laos and Vietnam, for the time being.

Being able to reduce lodging spending for a good part of the trip would be ideal.

Please guide me to your favorites or a website that you have found appropiate and reliable reviews.

Thanks!
Sep 15th, 2009, 02:30 AM

MayLyn Guesthouse (Vang Vieng) Laos. (From memory 40,000 kip for bungalow)
Mali Namphu Guesthouse, Vientiane. ($15US)

Look at Travelfish for reviews. Personally I don't think you will have any trouble with low cost lodgings. However don't expect 5 star luxury. I look for a minimum of a clean room with my own facilities. I made an exception for the Maylyn (about 15 metres to shower and toilet) as it was in a beautiful garden with friendly people. Whether you have air conditioning or not is up to you. In Northern Laos last year (July) I did not bother in Luang Namphu, Luang Prabang, Phonsovan and Vang Vieng but felt I needed it in Vientiane.

Over much of Laos I was spending less than $10US per night. In Borneo this year around the $15US - 25US and when in Cambodia usually about $15US.
Sep 15th, 2009, 05:07 AM

In the large cities and popular tourist places in Vietnam the lowest-cost rooms are $15, but for that you get an en-suite bathroom, air conditioning, TV, free internet access and breakfast. The rates are lower in more out-of-the way places but the rooms have the same facilities. If you let me know what places you plan to visit in Vietnam I could make some accommodation suggestions.
Sep 15th, 2009, 05:38 AM

$9 is probably pushing the lower limit. Yes, there will be places you can find in that price range you may find acceptable, but if you can increase your budget to $20-25 then you'll pretty much be assured of finding acceptable lodging in all of those countries. Silverwool has given you some good examples of how prices vary in locations.

This is not the best board to ask this question, as the vast majority of posters here don't travel that way. Travelfish is a good resource for you, as is Thorntree.
Sep 15th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Oops - I should mention that these places will be primarily guesthouses, not hotels.
Sep 15th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Since alternatives are being recommended, by far the best, most popular and heavily used South-East Asian forums on the internet are those on Trip Advisor, where every day hundreds of questions by travellers with budgets ranging from very small to very large are attended to equally and without discrimination. I am sure that the regulars on TA will be only too happy to provide answers to any questions you might have lincasanova.
Sep 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Do you like the trip advisor forums, Redkite? I ask because people either love them or - not. I find TA not especially helpful, as the reviews too often confuse rather than elucidate in my experience. I have stumbled aross many suspect reviews, likely people touting their own hotel or whatever or people from a competing company saying bad things about a place. I have almost stopped using them.
Sep 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Unfortunately, Kathie, that does sometimes happen in the review sections so it's always advisable to cross-check reviews with those on other sites. However, answers to questions about hotels, travel agents etc. on the forums proper can be trusted for the following reasons. (1) TA regulars are located in all points of the globe, so in any 24-hour period someone will be watching out for touts and denigrators of competing businesses and such posts are immediately reported and quickly removed. (2) The previous posts of all members can be viewed by clicking on their profile, making it easy to identify whether a poster is a genuine traveller or someone who habitually praises a certain business and is therefore likely to be a tout. Once identified all those posts are removed.
Sep 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. When I have definite travel plans I will certainly come back for more! But it looks encouraging so far!
Sep 15th, 2009, 09:48 AM

In addition to the online resources (and I'd try thorntree in preference to tripadvisor which mislead me in Marrakesh), spend some in your local bookstore (or library) with Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Moon and Footprints. I agree with kathie that a little more money will buy a lot more comfort. I'd go for $15-$25.
Jan 28th, 2010, 09:35 PM

In Vietnam, probably the most competitive hotel environment is in the resort town of Hoi An near Danang. I have stayed at 2 $15. hotels that were more than acceptable, clean and pleasant. The Dai Long Hotel and the Nhi Trung Hotel are very close together right in the center of the old town. Hoi An also has some of the best food in VN, and my favorites are the cheaper places such as Miss Ly's Cafeteria and the Laugh Cafe. I have stayed elsewhere in Vietnam for as low as $8. a night (Can Tho), and recently in Cat Ba I stayed in a small hotel for $9. I normally stay in $20. rooms since I prefer the city of Hanoi (the capital and a few dollars more than most VN cities). I did stay in a $45. boutique hotel in Saigon that was equivalent to a $200. room in the USA. My suggestion for Hanoi is the Especen Hotel on Tho Xuong St. at approx. $20. for the best room in low season. In Saigon the Bich Duyen Hotel @ $26. is the friendliest, safest and cleanest place in the backpacker district.
Jan 28th, 2010, 09:48 PM

I wanted to say that many very cheap rooms in Vietnam do not have a window, or the window faces a brick wall - I flatly refuse such accommodation. I urge travelers to visit during the low season (I like March the best) when you really don't need reservations, and you can walk around inspecting rooms before you sign on the dotted line. These small hotels/guesthouses always come with private bathroom stocked with disposable toothbrush and comb, fridge/minibar, phone, TV, AC or fan, and many have a free breakfast. It is rare for an inexpensive hotel to have a lift, and the night manager sleeps right on the floor or sofa of the lobby (tourists often have to wake the mgr to get through the door or to check out earlier than 8am). It's a great country!
Jan 29th, 2010, 04:58 AM

On a long around the world trip in 2008 we used the following websites extensively and found them to be very efficient for booking ahead and, with a few notable exception, the reviews to be a lot more reliable than TA. Although they are hostel site they are not just for dormitory room but most also offer private and ensuite private double and singles (and they are not all full od twentysomething backpackers!). Many will have cooking facilities which can reduce costs further.In my experience, $10 will not buy you a great deal but for $15 there are some very nice rooms to be had.
www.hostelworld.com
www.hostelbookers.com
www.hihostel.com
Jan 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input.
Jan 30th, 2010, 02:34 PM

in June 2008, we stayed in a bunch of hotels in the Mekong Delta area of Vietnam for about $3 to $10 per night. All were mostly decent, though I hated the slick nylon sheets, and we had to sniff the various rooms before putting any money down.. None of these are likely to have web pages. You just show up.
Jan 31st, 2010, 09:56 AM

This is a great post. Will be staying in BKK in March. Looking at Sofitel, Pullman, Arun Residences and some like this.....good stuff.
Jan 31st, 2010, 10:13 AM
Amy

My favorite low-cost room was Sim's Cozy Guesthouse in Chengdu, China. I think it was about $12.50 at the time I went, but that's been about four years ago. Guesthouse Paul in Leh, Ladakh, India was nice, too; $10 a night in 2008.
Feb 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM

I spent $7 a night in Beijing for 3 nights in a hostel in the hutong area. Sadly, what I witnessed wasn't CLEAN use of a mop that had just been in the area of the 'hole' in the floor (aka toilet)....then it was brought into and set into a sink with foodstuffs around it.....YUK. What we get sometimes is what we pay for. (*though the house staff may not have known REAL clean, they kept the appearance up, except for the BIGGIE that I witnessed)
Feb 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM

$9 for a night sounds incredible and I'm wondering whether breakfast is included or not?

Many thanks for a great thread.
Feb 5th, 2010, 01:18 AM

This is a great thread... I can't believe the prices in Asia, coming from Europe this is a dream... I will definitely keep some of these places in mind...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO