Bali- Help with Semiyak Villa Decision!

Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Bali- Help with Semiyak Villa Decision!

Hi-
We are going for 4 days over New Year's in December/January for our honeymoon and want to get a pool villa in Seminyak. I have checked a few places, and I can't decide between the following, so please advise if you have any feedback:
Sanyas Suites- They are the least expensive by far- $250/night -except there is a Compulsory New Year's dinner for $95/head, which seems VERY high to me
Le Jardin Villas- $400/night -looks modern and spacious
Samaya Villas- $490/night (this is a stretch, the rooms on the website look rather plain, but people give it fab reviews, so if someone felt it was WORTH it, then we might consider, its also on the beach. not really a requirement for us, but nice I suppose).
Villa Kubu- $418/night- Dont know much about this one, but the villas looked nice on the website.
Sentosa Villas- $400/night -They look modern and the common area looks pretty fun and good walking distance to nightlife
The Villas Bali Hotel and Spa- $360/night -These villas look large, the pools look large, and you get a honeymoon package including a dinner, 2 hour massage, bottle of sparkling wine, etc. Seems like a lot for the money.
The Elysian- $400/night. The hotel itself looks very cool, the rooms and the "plunge" pool a bit on the smallish side?
Kupu Kupu Barong- $390- Not in Seminyak, but on the beach. Private pools look very small though, if it matters..not sure if it does.

We don't normally spend this much on a hotel room, so we want it to be special but also good value. Nothing worse than finally "splurging" only to be disappointed. Are the Sanyas Suites nice enough, or do we "get what we pay for" by spending $100-$150/less there per night? We like modern but also traditional. I don't want to feel like I am in some new condo in anytown, usa, but want it to feel Balinese.
Also, if you know the food/service/management to be particularly good/average/bad at any of the places, that counts for something also. Or if anyone of these places does a great BBQ or private dinner that is good. Thank you for your help with the honeymoon planning so far! We have booked a Valley View Pool Villa at the Komaneka T. for our Ubud portion of the trip
Lauren
Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM

1. Sanyas
I haven't seen this development in person. Location is good -- close to the beach and convenient to Seminyak attractions. From the website it looks to me more in the moderate category. I hate compulsory New Year's events, but they are not uncommon and all resorts and restaurants will have fixed price events that night. As with all villas I'd find a recommendation from someone who's actually been there.

2. Le Jardin
Haven't been there either, but agree, it looks nice. I'm less enamored of the location, but it may be a small point.

3. Samaya
Samaya is actually a resort not a villa development and its right on the beach. I'd say it's worth the extra $$$.

4. Sentosa
This is a really nice upscale development. Location is good for shops and restaurants, but farther from the beach than some of the others -- a good 15 minute walk. I'm sure they provide transport, though. The bar/restaurant has a reputation as an "in" spot and I'd bet they have a great New Year's party.

5. The Villas
Again, no personal experience. This is one of the older and largest villa developments and I think that the design in the newer places is better. Same general area as Jardin.

6. Elysian
Very well reviewed as a "hip" property. Very close to the beach and within walking distance of everything. Small but nicely designed.

7. Kupukupu Barong
Whole nother place.

8. Legian
I'd suggest that you take a look at the Legian as well. The villas may be too pricey but the regular rooms -- which are in three storey blocks -- are really nice. Big rooms with full views of the ocean. Big balconies. Nice pool, restaurant and spa. Serene grounds. Excellent service. Lovely New Year's Eve dinner (I don't think it's compulsory).

The one downside to rental villas and upside to full-service resorts like the Legian and Samaya (and Sofitel, a notch lower) is that you have access to the beachfront property maintained by the resort. Otherwise you have to fend for yourself and the hawkers and facilities can be sub-standard.

In all cases, CALL the resort or management office yourself and negotiate hard.
Jul 24th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi- I have contacted most resorts myself via email. You think the first price offered, even if it is peak season, is never the final price and should still be negotiated? I have been given numbers lower than what's listed on the webpage, but wondering if I actually make a phone call, if that would help. Also now considering the villas Bali Asri-
http://www.villabaliasri.com
We would have to stay 7 days, but we have the time to do that. The villas look great, people on trip advisor say they love them, and the price quoted was $275/night and only 15% tax rather than 21%. I emailed back to see if they could do a better rate, but that is by far, the lowest rate I have been quoted by anyone. Should we still be trying to negotiate that down?
Thanks!!
Lauren
Jul 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM

In this economy, everything is negotiable. I called several properties in Indonesia on Skype and spoke to reservations manager or GM around 10 am local time and had good results. Except for very few small properties, everyone is looking for business from what I saw last month.
Jul 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all responses. I called some villas personally and was told there were no discounts by most. but villa bali asri, which i think relative to other offers and hotels, is very reasonable, didnt negotiate either. I guess they are convinced they will rent their spaces out between now and new years! anybody have experience with them?
Jul 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM

Hi Laurnanne
You might try posting on www.balitravelforum.com for a bigger group of travellers to Bali than appears to be here.
Jul 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

thank you for the suggestion!