Penang, Malaysia tour guide

Jul 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Penang, Malaysia tour guide

We visited Penang in April 2009 and hired Mr. P.G. Lee as a private guide. We had found his name/contact information prior to the trip and pre-booked him via e-mail (all of which went very smoothly).

We HIGHLY recommend him! He spoke English very well, the car was clean, and he went all out to show us everything that was important/interesting to see. He is a wealth of information, very knowledgeable and great to be with. He's very genial and easy-going.

You can contact him at [email protected] or on his mobile phone (6012-4277663).
Jul 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM

I'm not sure why anyone would need a tour guide in Penang.
Jul 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM

i have contacted mr lee to see how he might help us...
Jul 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM

The guys who run Galle Fort Hotel in Sri Lanka have just opened a sister mega-gorgeous boutique hotel in Penang. Might bwe worth checking out. I'll go look for it.
Jul 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Yes, it looks fabulous, dogster. Bob had sent me the link some time ago as they were considering Clove Hall rather than the E&O.

I'm still not sure why someone would want/need a tour guide in Penang. Bob, why are you contacting a guide for Penang?
Jul 26th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Actually, we hired a guide/driver in Penang one day. He was dropping someone off at the E& O and one of our group arranged an hourly tour. Terrific idea, as he was great. We went to a few temples, the spice plantation, butterfly farm, and a fabric printing place. He was a fabulous source of info on the culture, history, architecture, and food.

At the end of our half day, we were really hungry and interested in his descriptions of Nonya culture and food. There are only a few authentic Nonya restaurants left, and he took us to one. The owner was excited that we were very curious about her cooking - I gather she doesn't get many foreigners- and she went all out. it was very reasonable for a feast for the 7 of us plus the driver, and was an incredible experience. We were all very happy we sprung for the tour- felt like we got to know Penang a lot better through him..

You can read about our day and get details of food and driver as told by fellow traveler and Fodorite, melissaHi:

http://urbanmixplate.honadvblogs.com...nd-the-nonya/0
Jul 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Thanks for your comments, lcuy.
Jul 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Well, you know I don't usually hire guides unless I'm with othert people who want one, but I am often surprised how nice it can be, IF you get a good one. And of course, "Good" is the hard/lucky part!

BTW, Dogster, that Clove Hall looks really nice. I would have a hard time choosing between that and the E&O, for sure.

Are you going back to Penang, Bob, or just pulling an Oksana?