Search

Ubud - Chedi Club at Tanah Gajah

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ubud - Chedi Club at Tanah Gajah

Hello all,
getting ready to fly out to Singapore and Bali at the end of next week and all is booked.

In Ubud I'd found everything to be fully booked and despite many suggestions had to look far and wide as so many places (alila, alam, maya, komaneka, pita maha etc) were full and we can't afford FS or Aman... We ended up booking at Royal Pita Maha and it looks quite nice (though comments on tripadvisor indicate that one is a little left to one's devices once there...).

Yesterday however, I came across a really good rate for the Chedi Club at Tanah Gajah. I've read many good reviews on tripadvisor but find very little about it here on Fodor's and little evidence that any fodorite has ever stayed there (other than to have lunch or a look around..). As I tend to trust Fodorites more than TA I wonder why that is? Is the Chedi Club not nice? Is the fact that it's in a ricefarm and not on a slope like all the others mean that it is mosquito infested?

Any advice on the Chedi Club at Tanah Gajah is welcome (again, I repeat, most other places are full and we really can't afford the FS).
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM

I haven't stay at the Chedi in Bali but I've stayed at the Chedi in Chiang Mai and the Strand in Yangon which is own by the same group - GHM. They are all very well run property with very good service. You should expect the same level of service and luxury for the Chedi in Bali and I consider them a 5 star property and a good alternative to the Aman and FS.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hanuman. I've stayed at the Chedi in Phuket (rainy season) and it was falling apart from need of refurbishment so I won't be using that as an indicator!

I know the level/standard but was just wondering why nobody on this forum seems to have ever stayed there.

Have just found availability at Kayumanis as well.... they're all popping up again!! I guess events in Jakarta aren't encouraging tourism...

Thanks Hanuman
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:35 AM

I haven't stayed at the Chedi in Phuket yet but thanks for the head's up! The Chedi in Chiang Mai is pretty new and was in excellent condition when I went. The Strand was old and tired looking with crack bathroom tiles but it was one of the best hotel in Yangon.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

can now get Chedi Club and/or Kayumanis at exactly the same price... (Royal Pita Maha have a cancellation fee but until saturday it will be a manageable fee..)

mmmh would so like to have a walk around all three resorts to make my mind up!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 02:32 AM

I'm another one that hasn't stayed at any of the three but I've visited Chedi and Kayumanis several times.

I agree that GHM is a very well run group (same owners as the Legian in Seminyak.) Same for Kayumanis, but on a much smaller scale.

[There are two inter-related groups, GHM and Alila. GHM is meant to be a notch higher than Alila. Many of the Alilas were formerly called Chedis, so it gets confusing.]

The Chedi Club's major drawback is its location. It's beautifully landscaped but doesn't have the perspective of the river valley views. GHM took over a pre-existing resort. They made extensive updates but didn't have much to work with. The spa, pool, restaurant are all lovely, and the villas are well decorated, but it's still in the middle of a rice paddie.

Kayumanis is one of my favorite properties in Ubud. Beautiful, beautiful views (if you get a villa with a view of course). Nice restaurant. Nice people. Not much shared public space, but the individual villas are well designed.

I've never been to the Royal Pita Maha.

I understand that all resorts have had cancellations because of the bombings in Jakarta.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Marmot and thanks again Hanuman

the room at the Kayumanis is a "private villa" and I understand these villas do not have a view.

then again the room at the Chedi Club is a junior suite without a pool... though booking through LHW as a club member should lead to an upgrade...

The room at the Royal Pita Maha on the other hand is a pool villa with infinity pool and valley views but with so few reviews here on Fodors and contrasting reviews on TA I think i'm going off the idea... somehow looks very remote..

ahh choices choices...
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM

I am also looking at Ubud hotels and both RPM and Kayumanis are on my list. Is Kayumanis in Ubud itself or up the road to Kedewatan? Their web site map is not to scale at all and makes it look like it is almost right in town. Do some of the villas at Kayumanis overlook the river gorge or are they set back in the jungle? Also do all villas at Kayumanis have private pools? Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 09:01 PM

scfphoto, my understanding is that all the villas at Kayumanis Ubud have plunge pools but they do not all have river valley views. The views are spectacular, but if you don't get a view villa you can still hang out at the restaurant.

Kayumanis is about 15-20 drive from the center of Ubud. It's right next to the Four Seasons and close to the Amandari.

Brussels, the Royal Pita Maha overlooks the same river valley as the Kayumanis. It's along the same road as the Four Seasons, Kupukupu Barong and Amandari, but closer to the Alila. I wouldn't call any of these resorts any more or less isolated. They are all self-contained with good views.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Marmot

RPM is now cancelled. Booked Kayumanis through Asiarooms but have written to them directly to confirm the reservation.. still awaiting reply though

on a different note the driver Putu has cancelled us (brother is gettign married) and recommended his associate.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Brusselschap, Please report back on your Kayumanis experience. I would be very interested in your opinions on villa locations and deluxe villa vs. regular villa. We have Kayumanis at the top of list for November. Have a great rip! Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi brusselschap,
I use www.balitravelforum.com for Bali info. There's a lot of good contemporary information on it - often posted by people in Bali at the time.