Japan will fingerprint & photograph foreign visitors

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're planning to travel to Japan after Nov 20, it looks like you might expect to spend (maybe much) longer than usual going through immigration.

According to an article in the Bangkok Post (http://tinyurl.com/yog9xf), all overseas visitors over 16 will be fingerprinted and photographed when entering Japan. Only a very few exceptions (ethnic Koreans and diplomats). The Japanese do have a knack for doing things with amazing efficiency; still, it could get messy in the 2pm-4pm block when all those jumbos from both Europe and North America arrive.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM

Well, the US (land of the free albeit with little respect for human rights - anyone say Guantanamo?) already do.

I wouldn't go there if you paid me too, and I wouldn't go to Japan either, given this latest news.

This security thing is getting way out of control, and it's about time people stood up and said so.

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:11 AM

chim----stay home then!!!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

chimani, you are developing quite a reputation for creating a great deal of static without providing a scintilla of information. You've done similar things on other Fodor's boards.

The base note on this post is information, letting travelers know about new policies in Japan. That you elected to turn it into a screed about your views in the US is informative. It informs us that you are uninterested in this board's community, and very interested in drawing attention to yourself.

Posting polemic on a travel board is of course a good way for an individual to say, in effect, "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!," in the same way that a toddler would. I, for one, can only hope that, like that toddler, you will eventually grow tired, put your little thumb in your mouth, and go sleepies while dreaming of kookabura in the gum-gum tree.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:59 AM

Oh - diddums Rizzuto.

Don't you get it at all?

Don't you ever think about the big picture?. Is it to you all about "travel" and nowt else?

I guess it is.

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with chimani on this - treating visitors like criminals is really a bit much. The tourist industry in the US is actually getting worried about the "fortress America" policies of the Bush government - tourism to the US is down compared to other countries.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Thanks rizzuto for this information. It is helpful to us who love to travel to Japan. I wonder how the fingerprinting part will go? Probably a scan of it and not the actual ink and paper.

It makes it even better knowing that I won't have to worry about bumping into any spoiled toddlers with backpacks wilst I am in Japan

Aloha!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Here is a Japanese government video in English explaining this new entry procedure: http://nettv.gov-online.go.jp/prg/prg1203.html and click on Landing Examination. They'll use scanning system for fingerprinting similar to US.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Chimani, are you an Aussie, perchance? You think your country is somehow above putting in those types of immigration controls? I got news for ya, if you're thinking about not going to countries that do that, then you'll have to leave your own pretty soon, as well as not travel at all-because if some version of identiscan is not already mandatory at the border in your country IT SHORTLY WILL BE. Okay?

And for those of you who who are screaming and raging against the "machine" who have never observed or gone through US immigration's identiprint scan, well, you'll be disappointed-I've watched it in operation many times, and unfortunately, it takes only ABOUT 5 SECONDS-IF THAT -and you are on your way.

So go ahead, rage about those perceived violation of civil liberties, but this ain't your granny's world, my friends. Your sweet picket fence version of the "big picture" is waaaaay out of focus!

But of course, come a terrorist act that directly affects your interests, we'll see how your version of the "big picture" changes....
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Alec,

Thanks for the site. Doesn't look like any problem at all!

Aloha!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM

thursdaysd, have you read chimanis other posts?

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:09 PM

The thing about the fingerprinting in Japan that has people a bit riled up here is that even permanent residents (like US green card holders) are not exempt.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kuranosuke - some of them. I was separating the message from the messenger. I've read several articles about the chilling impact of the difficulties of entry to the US on both the tourist industry and universities.

I am unhappy about the idea of having to have my fingerprints taken to enter a country - and I've had mine taken twice in the U.S., once to get a green card (you should have the seen the expression on the face of the police officer when I showed up at the station ASKING to have mine taken!) and again for citizenship (turned out 30 years as a software engineer had practically worn them away!). From everything I've read, taking fingerprints would not have prevented 9-11.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM

t, glad to hear you don't have to do the fp routine when entering the us.

i'm off to jp in a couple of weeks, so i shall see how much of a hassle it is. usually, my biggest problem is clearing customs. for some strange reason, i usually get the fifth degree, especially when i'm traveling alone.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Jed

When I read the title, I wondered how long it would take for the Bush-bashers to emerge. And there it was on the <i>first</i> reply. I marvel at their vigilance and tenacity.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 11:33 AM

If this process, it might have long waiting line for immigration process.