Hotels in Seoul

Search

Hotels in Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Seoul

I will be in Seoul for 10 days in March. Which 4-5 star hotel would be well-located for a first visit to that city? I prefer to be in the central, historic center close to the museums, etc., but Seoul doesn't seem to have a well defined center that can be determined from maps. Any help would be appreciated. Also, what are the "don't miss" sights of the city? Thanks.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:59 AM

10 days is a very long time in Seoul so assume u are there on work. The new Hyatt is very nice and quite centrally located. My fav is the W but it is very out of the way. You can consider going there for a weekend. Definitely party there 1 night - great bar and restaurants. I found the Shilla quite old so would not suggest it. Def go to Samsung's Leeum museum, just behind the Hyatt. Spend an afternoon in the Insadong area. Go to some of the palaces - I went to Changdok, the Palace of the Secret Garden. You need to find out timings of their English tours. The subway system in Seoul is very easy to use and well marked in English.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hobbes for the information. I had considered the Shilla so now will investigate the Hyatt instead. I will have plenty of time to spend at the places you suggested. Thanks again for helping me avoid a costly mistake.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM

Shilla was nice when I visited last year, and close to their subway (convenient considering the traffic jams from one area to the next). Coex has two hotels which give you convenient access to the subway lines as well. You may also want to consider staying at the Westin Chosun (sp?) given its prime location. Do consider the traffic as the attractions could be far apart.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 03:40 AM

I visited the HYatt as it is right next door to the Leeum Museum and it is a far newer property than the Shilla. The Shilla is to my mind quite unremarkable - neither very good nor very bad. Just average. We stayed at the Shilla and I would have preferred the Hyatt, even in terms of location. Although the Shilla is near the train line it is not near anywhere I wanted to visit so entailed long train journeys. It's a Grand Hyatt I think.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional information. I was gone for a few days and just noticed the new replies. Asianewby, what is "Coex?"
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM

I am living in Seoul, and have been to hotels you mentioned above.

If I choose one thing, I would do Hyatt. It has the best location (central to Seoul), and maybe the easiest place to visit anywhere in Seoul (if not you will travel by subway). It has a nice bar (JJ Mahoney), and a nice restaurant (Paris Grill), and esp. many foreigners there.

If you want another, I would say "Oakwood", located nearby COEX. It also has a nice location, and just nearby very interesting place, COEX.

And if your trip is for visiting palaces, and seeing traditional cultures, then I will recommend Westin Chosun.