Search

Hua Hin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hua Hin

We're considering another trip to TL. Just saw a fairly good deal on a 'net auction site for the Evason Hideaway & Six Senses Spa at Hua Hin. We've seen lots of information of the beaches of southern TL on both the Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand. But rare to no information of the Hua Hin area.

Question: are the northern beaches much less desireable? Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:23 AM

that site is about 30+ minutes south of HH....the beaches in HH are decent to good depending on the location in town....we enjoyed our time at the marriott there...
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I've been up and down to HH many times over the years and seen it grow as an area, the Evason Hideaway is actualy one of the pranburi resorts, pranburi is about 30 minutes south of Hua Hin. It is a very quiet area and close to the Sam Roi Yot National Park, it's important to appreciate it is a very quiet and 'rural' coastline, they have a shuttle bus into Hua Hin but iyt is very much on it's own.
As far as HH beach quality goes it doesn't nor does it ever claim to have beaches like you would find in krabi or even Phuket for that matter, but the beaches are not the prime reason most people go there.
The benfits of the area are that it's a cab or limo ride from Bangkok Airport or city, so no planes to deal with ( although there is a 12 seater flights 4 times a day but you don't save that much time at all ). For the budget minded also express bus and frequent trains.
HH is probably the most Thai of the resorts, the majority of visitors are local from Bangkok, it is cheap, has night markets, some truly superb restaurants ( famed for seafood ), lots of top French, Italian and other cuisine restaurants.
The coastline has lots of beaches, deserted beach stretches, coastal temples, wetlands, birdwatching, 8 golf courses ( many absolute top is design and quality ). There are many other temple areas, rural farmlands and villages.
If you want pristine tropical island style beaches then head elsewhere, but if you want hotels and resorts 'right on the beach', lots of coastline, national parks, elephant rides, temples plus great restaurants, night markets, rickshaw rides , waterfalls, top Spas ( Chiva Som as an example ) and the such, then you can't do much better just that cab ride from BKK.
The top beach resorts in HH area: Sofitel, Hyatt Regency, Hilton, Dusit, Wora Bura, Marriott, Evason Resort, Evason Hideaway, Sheraton( opens Aug ).

if you search on this forum you will find lots, I was down there a couple of weeks back and I've lunched at the Evason and know most of the resorts in that area, if you want 'remote' then fine, but if you want more activities, restaurants etc considor places like the Hyatt Regency.

Out of intereest what are the offering for The Evason Hideaway ?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

This is the auction I was referring to: http://www.luxurylink.com/auctions/a...505&save=1.

We've had excellent luck with LL in booking vacations in Costa Rica, Mexico and Toronto. So, thought this might be a good package, too.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM

By the way, I've always found I can do much better in price by using one of the hotel booking sites rather than luxurt link. Indeed, I've found that I can get the starting bid price or lower at many hotel booking sites. Check out the booking sites before you bid!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM

This shows just one of the HH beach areas, I confessed to having been many time to Hua Hin and only stayed around the main beach area only to 'discover' that we had been missing out!!
This beach is just beyond the Hyatt and Chiva Som but 'around the corner'

http://www.huahinwhatson.com/hua_hin_beach.html

This is clear and simple site to show about the beaches along that coastline including the Evason area:

http://www.beachsiam.com/sunrise_coast.html

Although as said the beaches are no as great as the best in the south they are perhaps a 'lot better' than most imagine, that is very much because many who visit stay in the town center and never realise there are so many other beaches close by ( I include myself in that, we just never realised as the area is not hyped in the way many other places are, we often drive along the coast as far as Bang saphan and although the beach sand is not as white/yellow as the islands and south the beaches are long and most deserted/semi deserted ).
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Note that the Evason Hideaway is about the most expensive place in the whole area, the standard 1 bedroom pool villa goes for about $330 twin per night(inc tax,service but excludes breakfast), so for 5 nights that would be $1,650

Just as a price guidline here are some, I know it's impossible to comapare one to another but it will give you some 'price perspective' so that you can compare:
Evason Resort -( note this is not the Evason Hideaway ) $ 89 (inc tax/svc excl bfst), Pool Villa $273

Hyatt Regency ( inc tax/svs and incl bfst ) Normal room $ 112, Regency Club $ 161

Sofitel Suite: $ 168 ( inc tax/svc/bfst), top priced deluxe suite $ 201

Marriott : de luxe seaview twin $ 93

So that gives you an idea where the Evason sits pricewise, hope that helps.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

All the comments have been helpful. However, the telling point for us concerned the info on the beaches.

I can still remember lying in 6 inches of crystal clear ocean on a brilliant white sandy beach on one of the islets off Ao Nang....now that's a beach, .
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Any experience with jellyfish at Hua Hin? The tripadvisor site has several postings about the Hua Hin beaches being so full of jellyfish that no one went in the ocean.

I've been thinking about going to Hua Hin this December after we (two families) visit Bangkok. It's so close by...but I like to swim in the ocean and jellyfish are not my thing!

Would love to hear - thanks.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Yes there are lots of jelly fish but they are relatively seasonal. The water around Hua Hin is not that clear either so when they are around a lot of people get stung. My wife a couple of years ago got stung on her arm and shoulder but luckily I knew what to do and she didn't suffer too much. A slight scar is still there even after 3 years!

Many people who jet ski, windsurf and kite surf wear full body swim suites as this offer some protection.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Well, Hanuman, I am glad you know what to do, but I do not. Can you tell us?
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Here's what to do if you get a jelly fish sting.

1/. Clean the affected area with sea water - DO NOT USE FRESH WATER as this will activate the sting cells implanted in the skin.

2/. Pour vinegar over the wound to neutralize the sting cell. If you don't have access to vinegar use urine.

3/. Take an antihistamine.

4/. Go the emergency room.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Are you suggesting going to the emergency room no matter what? Or only if certain symptoms occur? Thanks.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM

the first day we were in HH there were tons of jelly fish in the water...there had been a small storm the nite before....for the remainder of our stay we did not see one
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 04:34 PM

You don't normally see the jelly fish until you're in the water and sometime they're around but they don't wash up on the beach either. The people get to see if the jelly fish are around or not are the people that venture into the sea with boats, windsurf, kite boarding and fishermen. Ask someone who has been out into the sea if they see any jelly fish around.

Vedette,

In Hua Hin the emergency room of a good hospital is only about 10 minutes from the beach and as a precaution I would go. After I gave my wife first aid I took her to the emergency room where there were a few people there with jelly fish stings. The people I saw didn't know the first aid procedure and they had what looked like really red "whip" mark where they contacted the jelly fish. They were running a fever as well as being in a lot of pain.

If you ask me the local administration should have warning signs and perhaps a few first aid station on the beach itself. A few local people who have houses on a beach take it upon themselves and have signs warning people as well as keeping a some quantities of vinegar and other first aid stuff to help others. Sadly I've only seen the signs in Thai!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Hanuman - what does 'relatively seasonal' mean? I would be traveling late Dec/first of January.

Are the west coast beaches similarly affected by jellyfish?

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Jgmc,

I think I've misused the word "seasonal" and what I meant to say is that they are around and it's hard to peg there presence on any factor.

Last December I was in Hua Hin and we couldn't see many jellyfish wash up on the beach from my house. As soon as I was on the water, jet skiing, I could see thousands of them in some are they were so thick that I would say that there were at least 1 jelly fish per square meter on the surface.

The West coast of Thailand is more of an open ocean or deep blue ocean unlike the gulf of Thailand where it's relatively shallow. I have not heard of any jelly fish problem there and at the same time I have not seen that many jelly fish off Pattaya either. I think Hua Hin is a special case, perhaps it's tidal but something for sure attract the jelly fish there.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:35 PM

I stayed at the Evason Resort a few years ago when they first opened. This was before the Hideaway was built next door. I've also stayed many times in the Hua Hin area. The beach at the Evason is nothing to write home about - not as good as in Hua Hin itself (also not sensational as beaches go). Nice for a walk but most people tend to use the pool. And if you have a pool villa then you may, as we found, that we just didn't leave the room much at all.

It is isolated which was what we were looking for - we didn't need to do much sightseeing as we know the area well and were simply going for R & R. Consequently choice of eating places is also limited. The Evason food was okay but again not sensational but that may well have changed in the time since we were there.

Overall we really liked it but certainly if the beach is the over riding consideration you will be better somewhere else.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:49 PM

This has been very helpful. Thanks to all. Perhaps we should rethink our plans and go to Phuket or elsewhere after all.

We'll be two families travelling - 8 people, ranging in age from 17 - 53. We will have been sightseeing in Bangkok and everyone is looking for a nice beach, pretty pools and sun.

Is Phuket the answer? What does everyone think?

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Hua Hin does have a fantastic beach with fine sands and at low tide it's fantastic. Atmosphere is very laid back and the town is quite charming.

If you want water based activities like snorkeling, swimming in the sea or that kind of stuff then you might be better of somewhere else. Phuket is very nice but expensive IMO.