Hua Hin? or Phuket?

Aug 7th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Hua Hin? or Phuket?

Is the beach at Phuket noticeably more beautiful than the beach at Hua Hin? I'm planning a trip for February and am not sure if it's worth flying to Phuket for just three nights. (I was interested in staying at the JW Marriott in Phuket and the Hyatt in Hua Hin.) Thanks for any advice.
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM

I was at the JW Marriott resort last February and can tell you that the beach itself at that resort is not that spectactular. However, the resort alone, would be worth the airplane ride for me, and I am already planning my trip back for next March. The resort is very secluded, but has lots of activities on site, and has great restaurants to choose from. Keep in mind that you will be paying regular resort prices, and will not have the option to walk into a particular town. In addition, Phuket has great day trips that do take you to many great beaches and allow you to go snorkeling or sea kayaking if you choose.

I cannot speak for Hua Hin or the Hyatt, as I have not been there, but can definitely put a great word out for the JW. It is one of the main reasons that we are returning to Thailand, as it is the best hotel experience I have had.
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:47 PM

in a word no....i found the jw marriott beach to be the nicest is saw on phuket...interesting you should say otherwise..the water was wild however and no one was swimming for our whole stay save one italian guy with huge flippers...
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:29 AM

I donīt know anything about Marriott or Hyatt. I sayed on Kata Beach in Phuket and in Hua Hin in Dusit Resort about 10 kilometres out of town.

I just know that I prefer Hua Hin although Kata Beach (+ other beaches) in Phuket is a way nicer beach than ones in Hua Hin. There are many tourists Hua Hin is still also a real town, not a place that lives solely to cater tourists. That is where also people from Bangkok go when they want a weekend out of town.
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:46 AM

Elena has put it very well.

Phuket beaches are great if you are after a sunning tropical beach area with lots of tourist facilities.

The main beaches at Hua hin are not as glorious color nor the chances of crystal clear water. So how much time you spend on the beach and sea swimming impacts greatly your choice. Although the beaches at Hua hin are not as good there are % wise far more 'absolute beachfront' properties and 'all' the main resorts ( Hyatt, Marriott, Sofitel, Hilton, Regent, Dusit, Anantara plus others ) are all 'absolute beachfront', i.e you walk from your room thru the gounds/pool and 'onto' the beach, there are no beach roads to cross.

Elena's point if I could broaden it is that Hua Hin does not 'live for the tourist' but does caters for them.
Hua Hin is a Thai town, busy and popular with weekend BKK residents both Thai and from overseas.
You would find more local shops and stores than those simply catering to tourists. Outside of the town center is local life and rural life.

They are very different and appeal to different sorts.

Kerryr, if I can tell us typicaly how you want to spend your days and evenings it helps to get a feel.

The big HH plus is just the cab/limo ride from BKK.

I know both well, I visit both at least 4 times a year through HH probably more simply as it's a shorter drive!

Most places have 'plus points' but it depends what 'plus points' you are after, simple as that. You certainly don't have the nightlife in HH you have in Phuket but you can still listen to load music in a bar, go into the jungle and hear heavy rock, or enjoy a meal and glass of wine listening to mild blues in one ear and the waves on the shore in the other.

It;s what you are after. Like trying to deice between a NE beach and a Florida resort, or a CA beach and St.Croix, all different but all with their own plus points.
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

JamesA, the beach part of our vacation will be the last three nights of our trip (5 nights in Bangkok, 4 in Chiang Mai) and I think we're going to be tired and reflective at that point.

I want to have this part of the trip be easy, with either a direct flight to the destination or a short drive.

We don't have children so while a family resort is OK, I'd love to avoid the sort of place where there are 8 yr olds hanging out in the hot tub all day long (this keeps happening to us). Food is very important, both at the resort and nearby (I know the JW is too remote to go restaurant hopping which I consider a negative especially as the prices look rather NY-ish to me).

If we end up not being tired and want to find more adventure, I'm keen on there being some sight-seeing nearby (of the national park variety rather than shopping as I imagine I'll be broke at this stage of the trip). I'd love the beach to be swimmable but it doesn't have to be the most picturesque beach I've ever seen. On the other hand, it's taken me 10 years to get my husband to agree to this trip so I want to make sure I've picked the right spot.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:44 AM

Perhaps, I made the beach at the JW seem a little bit worse than it truly is. I wouldn't say the beach compares to some other tropical destinations such as the carribean, however, it is a nice enough beach to lounge around on. You could swim, but it is rough, at least it was last February, and most people tend to gravitate towards pools (as there are three in total now), probably due to the towels and water provided.

One of the bonuses on the beach, is that there is a group of ladies that offer massage for much less than the resort, if you like thai massage.

Aug 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Based on the R&R criteria, if you want to relax, take a look at verandah Lodge, right on the beach, excellent restaurant, close to other nice restaurants, feb about USD 77 for a balcony room or up to the 150 range for a boutique suite

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/hu...lodge/details/

Another nice boutique style one past the HH Hyatt is Kaban Tamor and S'Mor Spa, Dip Pool room about USD 115, Sea View Jacuzzi room about 140.

At any beach in Thailand you will find local massage but you can also get nice spa treatments anything from around USD 20 upt to 250 ( Chiva Som prices! ) and nice way to relax.
Aug 16th, 2006, 05:59 PM

JamesA or anyone....any experience with the Praseban hotel in HH? Am looking for a nice alternative to the huge, sprawling hotel thing....Veranda Lodge looks nice too, though the reviews are spotty. thanks
Aug 16th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I am also planning a trip to Huahin in late Jan/early Feb and have been doing some research of my own. I've chanced upon this resort called Aleenta, I understand it is slightly off from Hua hin but it would be great if someone..anyone could provide me with their comments/experience on staying at that place. Is it very far off from HH and would I have trouble getting to HH to enjoy the activities. My reasons for going are very similar from kerryr..just a quiet time..hopefully romantic one as well haha and I was actually looking for a hotel/resort with a pool villa room which wouldn't be overly pricey (Evason Hideway is way too pricey)

Apperciate any help I could get..I was also considering Phuket but from the replies..I'm even more convinced that HH is the place rather than Phuket.