Hotel in Shanghai + Beijing?

Apr 13th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in Shanghai + Beijing?

My husband and I and our two daughters (2yrs + 5 yrs) will be staying in Shanghai for 4 nights and Beijing for 4 nights.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in either city? We like to stay at the Four Seasons, but the one in Shanghai doesn't appear to be particulary great for kids from the website.

Thank you.
Apr 13th, 2005, 08:13 AM

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'particularly great for kids'. Is there a certain amenity or service that you're looking for which the Four Seasons is lacking? If you could be more specific, it might help. For the most part, larger high end chains in Shanghai cater primarily to business travelers. That's not to say you can't enjoy a stay at one of these hotels, just that I can't think of one which comes immediately to mind as being specifically family friendly.
Apr 15th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

When I looked at the FS website it seemed more like a business hotel. It didn't have the "Kids for All Seasons" program that other FS have. I didn't see anything on the website for the Shanghai FS that would sway me to pick the FS over another hotel.

So, I guess my question is...Can anyone recommend a hotel, knowing we are traveling with 2 young children. We would prefer to stay at a good hotel.
Thanks.
Apr 15th, 2005, 08:05 AM

The FS in Shanghia IS more of a business hotel as it is in Shanghai and not a resort location. While they cater to tourists, the hotel is not a resor, it is a city hotel. Most kids clubs are in resort locations where kids tend to be and where parents might want entertainment or supervised activities, which is not the case in cities.

I think the FS would be fine. I am not aware of any kids clubs offered by chains in Shanghai, as there are no resort hotels. The Ritz-Carlton, the Hyatt and the JW Marriott also also very nice. You will be quite spoiled for choice in trying to pick a "good" hotel, as there are dozens in Shanghai.
Apr 15th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Traveling with 2 young children shouldn't be a problem at any of the hotels that Cicerone mentioned, but you should be aware that they are all more or less business oriented hotels. The JW Marriott is one of the newest (if not THE newest) and is extremely well located for sightseeing. It's just off of People's Square, so that would be my top recommendation for first time visitors. Like Cicerone said, there's no shortage of good hotels in Shanghai. Trying to get into one of them when a major event is being held in the city is, however, another matter.
Apr 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM

or, in Beijing, try something quirkier and non chain - www.redcapitalclub.com
Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:45 AM

just back from shanghai...most of the best hotels there are in Pudong, in the business district. If your family is there for pleasure it's best to stay in Puxi across the river, otherwise everyday crossing the river you may be frustrated (but, the zoo is in Pudong). I stayed at the Westin, in the Bund Centre, location can't be beat, walk to everything. It's much nicer than a typical Westins in the U.S., you should find the shanghai one to be in same class as the FS.