to most expensive):
(1) Junglun Hotel
(2) Capital Hotel
(3) Novotel Peace Hotel
(4) Jianguo Hotel

which one would you pick? I'm looking for a decent hotel that doesn't
smell of smoke or mildew with clean facilities. Best if closest to
Wangfujing area. Seems some good reviews on Novotel. Novotel and
Capital seem closest to Wangfujing while others are farther.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despite the Jianguo being the nearly the furthest from Wangfujing (the Jinglun is a little further), I would still pick it. Note that if you turn right out of the hotel and walk for about three minutes you find a metro station. Wangfujing is just a few stops west, and the Forbidden City (Tian'an Men Dong stop) just after that. Easy.

The reason for choosing the Jianguo is that it maintains some foreigners in senior management, which means that things run reliably and smoothly. Although it's an older hotel (Beijing's first joint-venture, in fact), it has been regularly refurbished.

The Jinglun is next door to the Jianguo, but the Jianguo's rooms are considerably fresher. The Novotel had one slightly dodgy wing (bound to be the one you'd end up in) the last time I looked. Although the lobby is very glam much of the rest of the hotel doesn't live up to that promise. The Capital has been praised here, but it's an all-Chinese operation which doesn't always deliver what it promises.

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Peter - thanks for the quick reply, I've learned a lot from it and other messages on the topic of Beijing hotels. I am leaning toward Jianguo too but my partner is partial to Capital because of proximity to Wangfujing. I asked what kind of room in the Novotel Peace and the travel agent said "Standard Business" which could be anything I guess. We will see.

I am a bit afraid of older hotels so that's why my question on cleaniness --- mildewy hotel rooms would ruin my vacation. Too bad but it seems like there aren't any of the newer hotels around the central area that I could find (or afford in the case of the Palace!) ...
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Mildew isn't really a big Beijing issue--the climate isn't exactly tropical (it just snowed rather heavily by the way), and all hotels at this level are fully air-conditioned (actually, there are very few hotels in China at any level without air-con these days).

None of the hotels listed are ones it would be worth flying to China to stay in, but the Jianguo rooms are generally in a very good state of repair, although the building itself is not so appealing from the outside. The best rooms face inwards on the ground floor onto goldfish-stocked ponds, and have their own little patios.

If you must be on or near Wangfujing (I can't imagine why) then have a look at what the Grand Hyatt is charging. If you can cope with being a 20-minute walk or one metro stop to the west of the Forbidden City, the Marco Polo is a better hotel than any of those you list, and because it's relatively new often has excellent rates posted on its own Web site (www.marcopolohotels.com--I think, without looking it up).

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 11:48 AM

I have to agree with Peter about the Marco Polo. I took my family to Beijing last August for vacation and, based mainly on Peter's expert advice, booked us into the Marco Polo. Got a great rate (Club level, great breakfast included, afternoon tea/cocktails, etc.) of about $75 per night (tax included) for a mini-suite. All of the family had a great stay (excepting only a very minor disappointment because the pool was not available).

Marco Polo also has a great location, very convenient to the subway (both lines) which made getting around the City very easy.

Long story short, listen to Peter. He lives (or has lived long term) in Beijing, obviously has great in-depth experience, and tells it straight. We're planning a return trip to Beijing soon, and I'll certainly ask Peter for his advice and input again. By the way, you should also pick up a copy of his guide to Beijing. Very informative. And no, I'm not related to him.

JasonW