Search

Question about my hotels in China

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about my hotels in China

Hi everyone
As I've mentioned before, I will be heading to China on August 21st. I just got my travel package from my travel agent today and I would like to know if any of you have stayed at these hotels? Any comments? Are they in convenient locations?

Beijing: Yongxing Garden Hotel
Suzhou: Aster Suzhou hotel
Hangzhou: Sunny Hotel
Shanghai: Holiday Inn Vista Shanghai
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Just so there is no confusion, these hotels have already been booked for me by my travel agent. I just want to get an idea of what the surroundings are and if there is any good night life, shopping, markets and restaurants.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:13 PM

A thought - in general the odds of finding someone on Fodors who's stayed at any given hotel in China aren't all that good. If you post the addresses of your hotels the odds would shorten -few if any readers will go to the trouble of looking up each hotel website themselves to find out where they are.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM

Don't know the hotels themselves, but:

- Yongxing Garden is in the Haidan District, about 6 miles NW of center Beijing. I believe it's close to Beijing University. Convenient for visiting Summer Palace and not much else.

- Aster Suzhou is a very nice hotel just outside the citywall on the west side. It's the tallest and largest hotel in the city. It's now a Fairmont Hotel. Definitely one of the best in the city.

- Sunny is a highrise in Hangzhou. Right in city center and a few blocks from the West Lake. Definitely convenient. Also rated highly.

- Holiday Inn Vista is NW of city center. I can't think of any attractions nearby and I don't think it's close to the subway. Not convenient.

So, those in Suzhou and Hangzhou are great hotels in good location; those in Beijing and Shanghai are not.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan
Thanks for the input. At least I have a better idea of what to expect.

I know China's a hige country and there are probably thousands of hotels, so I totally understand that a typical Fodors reader probably wouldn't know about a specific hotel.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM

It is worth checking tripadvisor.com
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Since the hotels are already booked, don't worry about location. Taxis are cheap everywhere in China, and you can enjoy the ride and the scenery. Or you can try the Beijing or Shanghai subway, for very few RMB.

Just be sure to have your destination written in Mandarin characters by your hotel before you hail a cab. Make sure that everyone in your party ALWAYS carries a card from the hotel so you can get back there!

It's helpful to learn a few simple phrases, too, of course.