booking hotels

Search

booking hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
booking hotels

Instead of continue hi-jacking the thread regarding tours, I thought I would post specific hotel questions here.

Peter, on the other thread you said that the places in Yangshuo are all the same tourist trap sort of places. Is that really true? The two places I had thought of staying in are the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat and the Yangshuo Culture house. Yes, I know they're pretty different from each other but they both seem to be offering a unique experience. We don't speak Chinese so how do you easily go from one place to another and KNOW that it's okay? It's not like we're going to take our hotel review write-ups with us. Besides, I have read that it's not too expensive to get a driver at hotels pre-booked in Yangshou to drive from Guilin to Yangshuo compared to perhaps being ripped off in Guilin. By this point I figure the jet lag will kick in and we may not be thinking too clearly.

As for Beijing, we're thinking of a bed and breakfast that has less then a dozen rooms, I don't especially want to stay in a box hotel.

I'm trying to figure out how to balance traveling independently without getting stuck in touristy places (which you seem to agree with) but without booking in advance or knowing anyone else in the places we'll be traveling, how do we do that without pre-planning? I actually did not want to stay at a place on West Street.

I get that Yangshuo is a big tourist destination now but like you said, (I think it was you!) by just biking outside a bit it's the beautiful countryside. We're kind of looking for a balance of the comforts of a town but also some fun things like the cooking class, etc. in Yangshuo. Also, the language barrier does concern all of us.

One more stop besides Shenzhen, Yangshuo and Beijing - Xi'an. Our tenative plans are to take sleeper train to Shenzhen with daughter getting tickets from train station the ten days earlier. Once in Yangshuo, make flight arrangements from Guilin to Xi'an (this is one I thought daughter could also make, but I guess not) Sleeper train from Xi'an to Beijing - also worried about this because of not being able to get tickets in advance but really don't want to pay alot of extra money. Flight back to Shenzhen, not worried about that!

My daughter has told us the same thing you said about China being very different to travel in. Problem is, I don't change depending on where I travel - I still want things kind of laid out but want the best deal. How do you do that??
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM

you will get more answers if you are more specific in your title---include town/country, etc...
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Good point. I'll repost with better title if there are no responses.

I do think this is a dilemna for those of us that don't want to stay in box hotels but also don't want to chance a yucky hotel. How do you travel in China if you are semi budget consious but don't want a package tour?
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM

do lots of research and read guide books and forums like this....i find fodors talk asia one of the best sources for up to date and accurate info...
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 01:23 AM

For Beijing, and other cities too, look for a courtyard hotel as an antidote to a boxy corporate hotel. Note: I'm referring to Chinese traditional style courtyard architecture, NOT courtyard by marriott LOL
I recently traveled around China independently and not extravangantly, and very successfully!. As rhkkmk said, do lots of research!
There is nothing wrong with pre-planning. I made all of my hotel reservations in advance, either from home or while on the road in China, via the internet. In some cases I contacted the hotel a day or two before my arrival, asking if I could change my dates because my plans changed, and they were flexible. I've heard the conventional wisdom of waiting until you arrive in China to make plane and hotel reservations, but unless you have a loose schedule and time to spare in China, I don't buy it. Potentially saving a few yuan is not worth peace of mind in knowing you have a good place to sleep straight from the airport and a flight at a convenient hour from one city to the next.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

I'm good on the research end. I've been able to pick out places and guides in places all over the world. Figured out a Hutong B&B in Beijing, etc.

Did you read my post?

The point I'm questioning is a strong suggestion on another thread to NOT book ahead of time but just pick a place when one arrives because there's price gauging on foreigners if you book over the internet.

I don't want to pay more then anyone else, but I don't think we'll be very good at negotiating prices on the spot either or remembering which places had horrible reviews and which were marked as great ones.

It seems that there's conflicting advice given - look for unique places to stay and things to do but wait until the last minute to book them to get the best price. Or go with c-trip.com which only offers big hotels or service apartments.

The more I think about it, the more that it seems that the suggestion to NOT book ahead is geared to people that have time on their hands to go from place to place, are confident in their negoitating skills and are flexible in what they need. Nutella, what you did is pretty much what I intend to do, so I hope it works!

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Syl

Toobusytoday: We're staying at the Li River Retreat, 2km walk from Yangshuo centre, but got great reviews.Like you, we want peace & quiet,& a beautiful setting.Price is right.We also fear last minute plane booking, especially when on a tight schedule.
Nutella: What is the name of the Beijing courtyard hotel that you recommend & is it near Tianemen Square?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

I thought of the Li River retreat and have a friend that stayed there last November. She was very satisfied. I was a bit concerned about how I've read that the street that the hotel is on is actually blocked off certain hours of the day by vendors.

Here's a good website of B&B's in Beijing, http://www.bb-china.com/ We're looking at the Mao'er Hutong. Another that got good reviews until recently is the Sihe hotel. http://www.beijinghotelchina.com/sih...ing-hotel.html
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Syl, I stayed at the Haoyuan Hotel in Beijing. It was lovely, with the rooms situated around two courtyards. The room was very nice with a good bathroom. The included breakfast buffet was both Chinese and Western. It was a bit cool when I was there, but the courtyard looked like a great place to sit and read and socialize with other guests. I was thrilled with the service - they showed up at my room with a bouquet of flowers on my birthday The location is considered fairly central, it's to the east of Forbidden City and T Square by a few very long blocks. Walkable if you have time, but only a short distance from the hotel is subway line 5 which I found very convenient. The only downside of the location was that I was hoping it was within a tradition hutong, with street life going on. Maybe it was at one time, but now it's a wide empty desolate street. There's a childrens' school next door, but nothing else. Other hotels might offer a quainter location with inviting cafes nearby, but that's really the only downside I can think of.