Hotel in Bangkok

Search

Hotel in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Bangkok

I will be travelling in Bangkok for 3days and i am looking at hotel options. Could someone suggest which of these 2 hotels would b a better choice in terms of location and its accessibility from major tourist attractions. I am a Marriott member and will b eusing my points for either of the two.

Thanks

1. Courtyard Bangkok
155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1, Rajdamri Road
Bangkok, Thailand 10330

2. JW Marriott
4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2
Bangkok, Thailand 10110
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 08:25 PM

they are about equal... but i would add marriott mayfair as a good alternative... all are basically in the same area..
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 11:32 PM

I am currently doing the megabonus (earn free night for every two stays) now between Bangkok's main Marriott properties (the JW Marriott & the Renaissance) and if award nights in points are available for the Renaissance Ratchaprasong, go with it! It has the better location, with just as good lounge, better possibility of upgrade if you are Platinum, etc. As its name indicates, the Renaissance is located in the heart of Bangkok at Chitlom monorail station (AKA BTS) placing the entire city under your fingertips. The hotel is steps away or short walking distance from the following:

- Erawan Shrine

- Central Chitlom Mall & its 7th floor Food Loft

- Central World Mega Mall with its rooftop restaurant venues

- Siam Paragon Mega Mall including Discovery, Center, Ocean World, etc.

- Siam BTS station is one stop away in BTS

- Siam Square

- Isetan, Big C, and Gaysorn malls

- Pratunam & its Pantip Plaza for electronics.

Here are our photos of this hotel & its faciilities: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7623281787891/
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank so much Kalil_Daoud. Somehow when i was first searching for hotels, the Renaissance Ratchaprasong did not show up and it did now. I have booked the hotel now for 3 nights. I am a platinum member and I hope I do get an upgrade

Thanks
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Kalil, please compare the JW and the Renaissance for me. We won't be in Bangkok this year, but will be next year and are ready to start using some of our well over a million Marriott points.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:19 AM

If you go with the Marriott you have lots of things to walk to even late in the evening. This area of Bangkok is still lively even at 2 a.m. Walk to restaurants, malls, street vendors, supermarkets, etc. Use the Skytrain to get around the city. There is nightlife in this Nana area that you can visit or ignore. No one will force you into any pub, beer bar or nightclub.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM

Sir.. but in fairness the jw is right next to one of the main "adult entertainment" (read sex) areas of bkk (soi 4, nana), which some might find unpleasant. this does not however detract from the hotel or cause any problems.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM

"but in fairness the jw is right next to one of the main "adult entertainment" (read sex) areas of bkk (soi 4, nana), which some might find unpleasant."

Thousand of people will pass by this area every day. To avoid the Sukhumvit Road area solely because of nightlife is silly. If you don't want to go in a bar - don't go in! Tourists just have to have a little self control if they can not resist temptation! It's not like a beach in Europe where so many women are topless and you can not avoid them. (Not that I would!) Yeah, there is some bars but also malls, street vendors, good restaurants and use of the Skytrain, etc. Also hotels in all price ranges.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 12:17 AM

Wow! Kathie, million Marriott points, you can do some serious damage with those!

I have commented before that the JW Marriott is the better property, but I have changed my mind based on recent experiences with both properties. It pains me to say that the JW Marriott has lost its former luster, it is now just like any other run of the mill marriott property. Young unexperienced staff has replaced the former awesome people that served us for years. Further, the new staff members don't seem to understand or appreciated the Marriott loyalty program nor its T&C. As Platinums, we did get upgraded to a suite, but on a lower floor (10th) facing Nana with an awful smoking odor despite of our booking/profile for non-smoking high floor room. After protesting, we were moved the next day to the opposite direction and placed in another suite that was non-smoking but the kids got sick as a result of this smoking room.

1. JW Marriott's lounge is one of the best in the system worldwide- excellent selection of food and beverages, great very attentive waitstaff, and a nice terrace overlooking the city. Equally great, the Renaissance has a great lounge with excellent food & staff.

2. Location is much better at the Renaissance as you are by Chitlom BTS station. While the JWMB is at least 200-m walking distance to Phloenchit BTS station.

3. Restaurants are good at both properties. The Chinese at the Renaissance is one the best in Bangkok, while the Japanese at the JWMB is the best.

4. Renaissance pool is located on the 23rd floor and it is an open air indoor pool. Pool area at the JWMB is not one of the best in Bangkok- a little bit sad looking actually. Children seem to enjoy the pool however, and it is shallow (maximum 1.25 m).

5. You are more likely get an upgrade at the Renaissance but with the new Marriott policy of Platinums getting upgraded to suites in A/PAC, chances of upgrades are about the same. One issue, Renaissance suites are not really separate bedroom/livingroom suite, they are just over-sized rooms but are much larger the JWMB suites. We are 30 for 30 on upgrades at the Renaissance, and maybe 10 for 120 at the JWMB.

More about the Renaissance here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...ong-hotel.835/

FYI, I am Kalboz on MilePoint
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 10:14 AM

Thanks so much, Kalil. We are planning to do some serious damage with all of those points. We'll probably use many of them in Europe where the prices are higher. But we are ready to try a new property in Bangkok, so I will put the Renaissance at the top of the list to consider for next year.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 08:03 PM

Kathie, spending the points in Europe is great idea as hotel stays there cost an arm and a leg.

The rooms (and suites) at the Renaissance Bangkok including their showers are much better than those at the JW Marriott. Please keep in mind that Marriott is adding several other options to their Bangkok portfolio, such as the full-service Marriott Sukhumvit Hotel located at Sukhumvit Soi 57 and slated to open in March 2013: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...tel-sukhumvit/

Photo is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/6719699609/

Also, Marriott is in the construction stages of the upcoming the Ritz Carlton Residences and Edition Hotel in a futuristic skyscraper at Chong Nonsi BTS station slated to open in late 2014, see more here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/.../#post-1234950

So plenty of choices in the coming years to earn & burn those Marriott points