Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hotel Choice - Park Plaza or Centerpoint Silom?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading all your wonderful comments and trip reports which have helped immensely. We would like to reserve a hotel and wondered which most of you prefer between the Park Plaza and Centerpoint Silom. Thanks for your opinions.
June
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM

I have never stayed at Park Plaza, but I was very happy with Centre Pointe Silom. Great ;location, wonderful spacious apartment, nice pool, and good restaurant.

I've also stayed at Peninsula, Oriental, and Landmark, and thought the rooms were nicer than any of those. Stff is very helpful and the halls are decorated nicely. Really the only difference were the view and the 5* ammenities, and the price makes up for that if ammenities and on-site dining and spa are not something you need..
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM

park plaza is more of a bus tour hotel is it not??
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM

That's funny, I'll be in Bangkok in December and am staying at both Centre Point Silom and Park Plaza.

They are in very different locations - Centre Point Silom is near the river, with easy access to boats as well as the Skytrain. I've stayed here before and was very happy with it. I personally prefer this location. Also, you'll have cooking facilities in your room, and a basic washer/dryer.

Park Plaza Sukhumvit is in a busy "downtown" shopping area, also has easy access to the Skytrain. This is a new hotel - I've not stayed here before, but it's hard to find a negative review of it anywhere. I'm looking forward to checking it out!
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM

sorry i was thinking of another hotel....this is a small one...near to asoke...

you might find it noisy in that area...i prefer CP as it is right next door to the skytrain and you would have much more room...
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I will be booking a room at the Centre Point Silom after reading your reviews. John - I'd love to hear what you think of the Park Plaza compared to the Centre Point after staying there.

We continue planning our trip. I've been in contact with Tong and have arranged for a day with her. I've also included Angkor Wat in our itinerary based on all the feedback I received on this board. Can't wait for this trip and am already trying to decide where the next trip will be to - Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos or China.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:15 AM

Centre Point would be closer to the skytrain, I would say. That's a BIG plus in Bangkok.

I'm curious to know if Park Plaza is right across from the Long Table restaurant... if so, be sure to check it out. It is on the top floor of one of the high-rise buildings on Asok, I believe.... if memory serves me correctly... I've not dined at Long Table yet, but will for sure be trying it out in December.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM

Where is Park Plaza? Which soi off of Sukhumvit? Happy Travels!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM

16 Rachadapisek Road, sort of "behind" Sheraton Grande - near Asoke.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:38 AM

Oh, OK..near my neighborhood which is one block before Suk, soi 24 right at Prom Phong BTS. I'll have to note that hotel if friends ask about a hotel. Thanks. Happy Travels!