Hong Kong Mall Recommendations

Jul 12th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Hong Kong Mall Recommendations

If you can only visit one or two mid-level or mid-scale malls in Hong Kong, which mall(s) would you go to?
Jul 12th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Lia

If I had to choose one, I'd pick Harbour City/Ocean Terminal near the Star Ferry in Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon) which has 700 shops, 50 restaurants and entertainment venues. It's actually three shopping malls that are anchored by three Marco Polo hotels (HK, Prince and Gateway).
Jul 12th, 2005, 06:26 PM

i second the ocean terminal...
Jul 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Harbour City is large and have lots of stores, but it's built in different stages, so it's not as appealing or comfortable walking around.

My favorite is Festival Walk at the Kowloon Tong MTR/KCR.

Pacific Place is nice at Admiralty, but it's more upscale.
Jul 12th, 2005, 08:22 PM

Not keen on Ocean Terminal cos I always get lost (stupid me!).

Pacific Place is a bit expensive so I like to head over to Queensway Plaza also by Admiralty MTR cos it's cheaper shops.

Like Times Square too.
Jul 12th, 2005, 08:25 PM

I was amazed with Harbour City..I couldn't believe how big it was!! We walked around forever..But I have to admit, I am not much of a mall shopper..It was freezing in there..We never bought a thing, only looked around..But it sure was nice!!
Jul 12th, 2005, 09:00 PM

Agree with everyone about Harbor City. There is also an interesting mall Hong Kong side at Causeway Bay called Times Square. It is right under the Causeway Bay Subway stop and has some wonderful and interesting shops. Also the surrounding neighborhood is worth a few hours of walking and galking.
Aloha!
Jul 12th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Time Square is a very large multi-storey mall - like 9-10 levels including basement. It's a little different from other malls in that each level is dedicated to the same type of shops.

Also check out the sit-down restaurants on top of the mall - levels 10-11 or something like that. Most serve newer-style Chinese cuisine, and some are very popular among locals.
Jul 12th, 2005, 09:23 PM

I'll add my vote for Times Square. The streets outside are teeming with interesting shops also and it's within walking distance to Sogo.
Jul 12th, 2005, 09:25 PM

So, no one else like Festival Walk beside me? Or no one has been there?
Jul 12th, 2005, 11:36 PM

Never been to Festival Walk is the truth. It is a mall? New? I must confess, after innumerable trips to HK, I've yet to venture to Kowloon Tong...but I'll def save it for a future trip.
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Hey, what do you like about Festival Walk? And since it will be hot and humid when we go to Hong Kong in August, which street market is the one to check out if I only have the energy to visit one: Ladies Market or Temple Street?
Jul 13th, 2005, 04:27 AM

I like the Harbour City+Ocean Terminal too. Great location with restaurants every kind of shop available. Festival Walk is nice too with a cinema and ice skating rink, but it feels a bit boring for me and there's nothing outside the mall at all. Time Square mall is easy to get to by MTR and Causeway Bay is simply THE location for shopping on HK Island.
Jul 13th, 2005, 04:49 AM

Upscale malls my new fav is IFC - gorgeous location and stores. Come up really well in terms of look and feel. I find Harbour City a bit intimidating too - gone there 3 times and not managed to find Banana Republic store before I got sick of mall mania and had yo get out of there.Times Square is good. A little on the upmarket side tho. Another reasonable mall well located is Taikoo Shing right on the Taikoo MTR stop.
Jul 13th, 2005, 04:57 AM

The night market at Temple Street is more interesting because it's not just a market. At its northern end, there's a small public square where there are fortune tellers, people performing Chinese operas, etc. I think that'd be more interesting than the Ladies' Market, which is just blocks and blocks of street stalls selling stuff.

Well, Festival Walk is very spacious to walk around. Built by Swire, the same developer of Pacific Place (and main owner of Cathay Pacific), and it feels upscale. But more mid-scale stores at Festival Walk than Pacific Place. It's just three stops by KCR from Tsimshatsui-East or about 3 stops on MTR from Mong Kok.
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:04 AM

I'm REALLY happy that I never have to choose only one mall in HK.

One of my very favorites is the Prince's Building in Central. OK, so it's not really a mall in the strictest sense, but it's got terrific shops and each one is unique. Much as I like the traditional places such as Landmark or Times Sq or Pac Place, those all seem to have a high percentage of shops that you might find in any mall anywhere in the world. The Prince's Building shops are not part of chains, but they're upscale and interesting.
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:13 AM

I think one can consider the Prince's Building arcade a part of the Hong Kong Land's interconnected mall in Central. That includes the Landmark, Alexandra House, Prince's Building, and the new Charter House.

Same management. All interconnected with A/C'ed walkway.