Hong Kong for $1K?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Saffron

Hong Kong for $1K?

Going to HK in November. Looking to budget about $1000. Want clean, safe affordable lodging. Staying about 5-6 days. Luxurious meals not necessary. Interested in some shopping, but mostly local history. Any suggestions on inexpensive "must dos?" Is HK on $1K realistic?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 06:51 PM
xx

1k is very doable. Say $100/night for the room, you have $400 left for food, transportation and shopping - all these are cheap. Site seeing is free of course.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:21 PM
bob

not to be silly but spend lots of time on the star ferry...you can't beat it!!!
don't waste your time going to the chinese border---its a mad house...

from the tourist office at star ferry (kowloon side) get their printed material on shopping outlets---some good things...wonderful grocery store in the mall hitched to the new world rennaissance hotel---just like usa with an asian flair---cheap eats...boats to some of the outer islands...there is one of which the name escapes me---it is opposite aberdeen and is known for its fish restaurants...when you come off the ferry walk past the first restaurant or two and go to the one that is family run...sorry i don't have the name but it is the only family one left....go for dinner and the ride on the boat

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:22 PM
bob

check out the kowloon hotel...the rooms are tiny but it is a great location...just behind the peninsula (is also owned by them) five minutes to star ferry...you won't go wrong

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Vivian

$1000 you can do tons in HK, you can expect $60-70 a night, wouldn't be a five star hotel but at least a 3-4 star. Don't go to McDonalds to waste you money though it's cheap, try local restaurants and buffet in hotels are definitely a plus, they are very different than the States. Buy a MTR (underground railway) value card, get one that is $40 you'll be go to go for the rest of the tour. They are available at any stations.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 08:16 AM
VERONICA

DON'T EXPECT TO HAVE MUCH LOCAL HISTORY. HONG KONG IS A CITY WITHOUT ROOT, BUT YOU CAN STILL FIND TRACES OF THE GREAT KINGDOM,ESPECIALLY ON THE NAME OF THE STREETS. AGREE THAT HK OFFERS THE BEST FOOD WITH A LOT OF VARIETY. WE HAVE MANY GOOD ASIAN FOOD, JAPANESE AS WELL AS WESTERN STYLE. TRY TO HAVE A DINER BUFFET.THERE ARE A LOT OF SHOPPIG HERE AND THE PRICE IS RESONABLE.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:56 PM
henry

you may try budget hotel like [email protected]

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:25 PM
hk girl

I'm afraid I must disagree with Veronica. HK does have a lot of rich history to it - one just have to look for them.

A stop at the Antiquities and Monuments Office in Tsim Sha Tsui will load you with as many pamphlets and suggested walks / self-guided tours you'll ever want.

To get there, take the MTR (subway) to Jordan Station. Consult the area map inside the station once you're out of the gate. Take the exit which is the closest to the St. Andrew's Church (an easy landmark to identify) which is near the intersection of Nathan Road (a major road) and Austin Road.

The office is right next to the church. It's a small building on a platform off the street. By the way, if you keep walking to the Tsim Sha Tsui station, you'll see the mosque right across the street.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:26 PM
hk girl

Oops I forgot to post its URL --

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/Monument/index.html

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 05:39 AM
rita

Try the YWCA. They have rooms to rent. Also a club called Helena May. Both these places have a fantastic location as they are on Hong kong island (rather than in Kowloon).