Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Peninsula Hong Kong- Good Location, Bad Location?

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 03:25 PM
C

I am going to China in March and I am staying in Hong Kong for just two nights and I have room reservations at the Peninsula. Friends have told me that with the short time I will be in Hong Kong, I should be staying on Hong Kong Island instead. Is this true? Is the ferry over to the island really that long? Is the hotel worth the extra trek? Finally, does anyone have suggestions for other luxury hotels instead? I have heard that the Mandarin Oriental is my next best option??? Help!

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:47 PM
Michael From New York

For the short time you are staying in Hong Kong it won't matter at all to stay Kowloon side. Second, the Peninsula is close enough to the Star Ferry, that you won't be inconvenienced at all. The Star Ferry ride from Tsim Sha Tsui to Central is 8 minutes tops.

The new issue of Travel & Leisure Magazine just came out and the Peninsula Hotel, Kowloon is ranked in the world's top 500 hotels. There were other Hong Kong Hotels listed as well, but I will have to post them tomorrow, as I left the magazine at the office. The Mandarin Oriental is also listed. But the Mandarin is only about a two minute walk from the Star Ferry Terminal in Central, Hong Kong. So the Star Ferry can almost be said to run between the two hotels. The best place to see the Hong Kong Skyline is from the Kowloon Side, or from the Star Ferry.

You would not be wrong to stay at the Peninsula. Nor would you be wrong to stay at the Mandarin Oriental. I had a meeting in the second floor lounge of the Mandarin Oriental on Monday the 9th of December. I was impressed. The Mandarin also has a deluxe cake and pastry shop too. Stay at one and visit the other. It is that simple.

Michael in New York, just back from Hong Kong, Thailand, and Hong Kong.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:46 PM
John G

I have stayed at the Pen in HK and I would never stay anywhere else. The Star Ferry is just footsteps away and it takes maybe 10 minutes to cross Victoria Harbour. Your friends are Kooks.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:09 PM
David

Both are excellent.

Now if you want an excellent hotel that is much less expensive, try the Ritz Carlton next to the Mandarin Oriental. Conte Nast Traveler consistaantly includes the Ritz Carlton on its "Gold List" with a very high rating. With all you save, you could go to dinner at Felix in the Peninsula!

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Mo

The Pen is simply the best in HK. You may be paying a bit extra but....it is worth it. We have stayed there two years ago for 4 nights and it was magnificent. The food, atmosphere and the afternoon tea is legendary. The Star Ferry is 5 minutes away and it takes about 10 minutes from Kowloon to HK island. If you have the bucks, for about $100.00 they will send their Rolls Royce to the airport to pick you up. What a trip..... you feel like a king. Have a great time.
PS we will be in HK in April and, of course, we will be staying at the Pen.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Peter N-H

While the Star Ferry is a very pleasant little cruise (and actually has two routes from near the Pen--one directly across to Central and the other to Wanchai), the question was originally about access to HK sights from The Peninsula.

Has everyone forgotten the MTR, possibly the best underground railway system in the world? There's an entrance to the Tsimshatsui station right next to the Peninsula, which makes access to much of the rest of Hong Kong quick and easy--more so than by any other form of transport.

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 08:08 AM
kh

I don't know if they are still running it, but the Star Ferry used to have a night time cocktail cruise that was not only cheap but had an open bar and you got to see all the fabulous lights in the Harbor.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Chris

Definitely, definitely stay at the Peninsula. Do go to Felix, if not for dinner, for an evening cocktail. The view of HK island (especially at night) is breathtaking. Yes, you will probably spend most of your time on the island, but as others have said the trip is short and the Pen is worth every second it takes you to make the trip across the harbor.