Hong Kong for 10 Days (help)

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong for 10 Days (help)

Hi,
I'm considering a trip to Hong Kong for 10 days.

Firstly, is this enough time to do some serious sight (I'm focusing on Kowloon and HK island) seeing ?

Secondly, can someone recommend a hotel (Kowloon or HK island) ? I'm going there alone and basically want a good/safe place to sleep, walking distance to cool surroundings + MTR. I don't need a five star hotel but it can't be filthy either. Location, location and location is key.

Thank you,
Jim
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Ten days is plenty of time. Of course, there is always more to see and do, but that's a reason for a return trip. WIth 10 days, you can see some of the outer islands and take a day or two in Macau.

If you want convenient and well-priced (for Hong Kong) take a look at the Salisbury YMCA. It's really a hotel - sort of like a Holiday Inn - close to everything and well-located on the Kowloon side, close to an MRT stop and to the Star ferry.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 07:01 PM

i second the Y.....some of our resident experts from HK may have some good suggestions for you....

10 days will be a luxuary in HK...most have far less...
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 07:17 PM

Ten days is a lot for a small place like Hong Kong. You can cover the whole place, including New Territories and the main islands - Lantau, Cheung Chau and Lamma. And a couple days in Macau too.

Need a budget for hotel...

Anyways, since hotel is expensive in Hong Kong, with that much time, I'll spend at least two nights in Macau. Perhaps even three.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Do you have some specific interests to pursue in Hong Kong? I'm sure there are good reasons for lengthy stays, but for general sightseeing 2 or 3 days seem plenty. With 10 days available, I'd suggest mainland China would be a more rewarding destination.

I've stayed at the Salisbury YMCA (upgraded to a corner suite) and it was very comfortable and convenient and excellent value.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 03:43 AM

I recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Causeway Bay. This is a great shopping/eating area and the hotel itself is cheap, modern, clean, right next to the MTR and tramlines and Causeway Bay is in total my favourite area to stay in HK.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much to replying with all you valuable tips etc.

I’m basically going for sightseeing (traveling alone).

The reason for staying 10 days is simple – I’m flying from Eastern Canada and to fly in all that way for 2-4 days isn’t really worth it (24 hrs just to get there)…

Right now I estimate that the flight cost (leaving October or November) will be approx. 1500.00CAD and the hotel is still a variable… I’ll look into the Y Salisbury and see what that gives me.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. Any additional information/advice is welcome!!!

Jim
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Should I focus on hotels in Kowloon or HK island? (where is it most fun ?)
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:28 AM

It really doesn't matter whether you are on Hong Kong Island or Kowloon. They are a 5 minute ferry ride apart. Find the best hotel for your money. Hotels are quite expensive in Hong Kong. And I agree with rkkwan, look to spend at least two nights in Macau.

I can't imagine trying to "see" Hong Kong in two or three days as someotherguy suggests. I've been to HK twice for a week each time and have still not seen half the things on my list of things to see and do!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:49 PM

I totally agree with Kathie. There is more than enough to do in 10 days. Enjoy!