Hong Kong for 10 Days

Oct 5th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Hong Kong for 10 Days

I'm planning on taking a trip to Hong Kong for 10 days during the last week of November/first week of December. This will be my first trip to HK and I'm looking for suggestions for things to see, where to stay, etc, etc.

Greatly appreciated!
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:29 AM

i prefer to stay in kowloon...the kowloon hotel is reasonable and very well located...the salisbury YMCA is hard to beat on both price, comfort and location...

lots to do there in addition to fabulous shopping...get yourself a good general HK guidebook like frommers, fodors, lonely planet, etc
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Why 10 days? What makes you pick Hong Kong to start with? What's your budget?

It's a small place, and most visitors don't need 10 days there. Have you been to China or other East Asian countries?
Oct 5th, 2005, 11:40 AM

I agree 10 days is probably too long for Honk Kong- I think a week would be plenty of time to do everything. Maybe work in one more destination if ytour plans are still flexible.
Oct 5th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Horses for courses I guess but I have been many times and the last time I went for a week but wished I had made it 10 days! Hong Kong is not just shopping , though there is plenty of that available. There is so much to see in Kowloon and Hong Kong side plus several interesting islands and even a trip over to Macau . I agree with the above suggestion to get hold of some good guide books for ideas of what to do and you will be able to easilly fill 10 days if you want to. Have fun..it is a fabulous place!
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:35 PM

the horses comment reminds me:
- go to Happy Valley on a racenight - lots of fun.

other suggestions:
- go to Lamma island for a mini-hike and reward yourself with seafood after.
- take in other islands like Cheung Chau which are at a completely different pace to HK.
- visit Macau (as suggested): yummy food, different atmosphere, nice museum
- go to the forty something floor of the Bank of China building during business hours for a free skyscraper view of the island.
- take the star ferry back and forth, take the tram across HK island
- explore Sheung Wan to see little shops selling teas, dried foods, chinese medicines.
- go to Mongkok at night to mingle with the crowds and lights. (Buyer beware though!)
- visit HK museum of history for a great exhibit of HK origins and growth

These are just some alternatives to usual suggestions of shopping, eating, and the Peak.

as for where to stay: what's your budget?
Oct 5th, 2005, 08:46 PM

Garrettmurray--I think that you can utilize your ten days and have a relaxed vacation. Personally, I like to go places and spend a number of days rather than try to cram in lots of different stops. Moving from place to place certainly uses up precious time.

One of the things we enjoy doing in Kowloon is going to the outer islands and spending time.

We have stayed at The Holiday Inn Golden Mile. It does not have a view but it is in a wonderful location. Do not know what your budget is for a room, but we booked our room with meals through the airline.

Other trips we stayed at the YMCA, The Park, The Shamrock, and Mandarin Oriental. But The Holiday Inn Golden Mile is really close to MTR for getting around.

If you are there during the first week of December, possibly the Christmas decorations will be on the buildings and on the Star Ferries. We were there for Christmas one year, and it was really beautiful to walk along the water on the Kowloon side looking at the hugh neon lights on the building on Kowloon and Hong Kong. Also, taking the ferry both ways to look at the lights.

Ten days does not seem long to me. We once spent 3-weeks there! Did I say we like to go to one place and really get to know it.
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:53 PM

Agree with the suggestions of the last two posters but especially the Museum of the History of Hong Kong which is in Kowloon. It is fascinating. Have also stayed at Holiday Inn Golden Mile, Park and Mirimar Hotels. All good spots depending on how much you want to spend.
Oct 7th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

10 days at minimum, because this is a two week vacation It will probably end up being more like 12 or 13 days even.

We chose Hong Kong because we're interested in traveling to the East Asian countries--I would really like to go to Tokyo as well, and thought that HK would be a good start since there is some English there as well.

I've not planned anything officially yet, so it doesn't have to be "just" HK--I'm open to suggestions for other places to wrap into this trip.

As far as budget goes, I honestly don't know--since tickets are around 1k and there are two of us, I imagined the total trip budget at around 6-8,000 USD. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Feel free to keep them coming!
Oct 7th, 2005, 11:54 AM

If you are now at 12-13 days then I say again- this is probasbly too much time for just Hong Kong- hey for any destination you can always find things to do to fill in X number of days- thats not the point! All the people that I know that have done Hong KMong have done it in no more that one week- what does that tell you?
Oct 7th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Having almost two weeks, and wanting to spend the greater part of that in Hong Kong is perfect for being able to see another city of interest which is also a week or so typical visit.

Depending on which airline you are using, it is not very expensive to add in a second city. Off the top of my head Seoul, Singapore and Taiwan are good possibilities (among others). Taiwan based on rhkkmk's advisory that 7 nights is good to see the entire island.

Frrom my own experience 5 or 6 nights in Singapore would be a superb combination. Seoul is on my list to do in a similar way, but I've not been there yet (outside the airport at least).

You could also do that stop in Tokyo, as an introduction to all of Japan.
Oct 7th, 2005, 09:36 PM

Yes Taiwan or Singapore could be worthwhile add ons if you are becoming convinced that a week is more than enough. As I've said I don't agree but those countries mentioned are interesting too. Alternatively you might consider two days in Macau to get a feel of the Chinese/Portuguese mix and see the areas of Taipa and Coloane as well as the main city. You travel across from Hong Kong on hydrofoil.