Short trip to Hong Kong

May 25th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Short trip to Hong Kong

Hey everyone, my wife is flying into Hong Kong for a business trip in China. She'll be going up to Huizhou for business for four days and then was hoping to take two days to do some siteseeing in Hong Kong.

Anyway, neither of us have ever been there and are for the most part unaware of what to see or do. Can anyone recommend some fun things to see and do in Hong Kong for two days? She will have Sunday and Monday to do some things. She's travelling alone and probably won't be up for anything super adventurous, but would certainly love to get some shopping in, check out some interesting parts of the city. Maybe a museum, get a feel for the culture, some good places to eat, maybe some sites that aren't ultra touristy.

Anyway, I know that's all pretty vague. Even if a good guidebook could be recommended that'd be helpful. Thanks!
May 26th, 2007, 12:11 AM

Hong Kong is one of those places that defies a "best of" list as there's so much to do and see. It's definitely a great walking city so the best advice is to set out and wander. The city is compact and safe so you can't go wrong.

I'd put the peak tram on the don't miss list, even though it's tourist-y. There's a well traveled path that circumnavigates the peak that gives a splendid 360 degree view of the city. If you start at around 5:00 p.m. and go clockwise you get the sunset over the ocean then the lights going on in Hong Kong.

Shopping is everywhere -- too much, really. She should think about one or two things that she wants to buy and focus otherwise she could do nothing but wander the aisles of shopping centers. Chinese Arts and Crafts is a good standby for good quality. Shanghai Tang a little more upscale.

There are several zillion restaurants in Hong Kong. The Cantonese food is wonderful, but it's not so easy for a single person to dine alone in a Chinese restaurant. For Western food with plenty of atmosphere I'd suggest the lobby of the Intercontinental -- fabulous views -- and the lobby of the Peninsula -- loaded with charm and history.

The Star Ferry which connects Hong Kong Island to Kowloon is a destination in itself. I've been known to ride back and forth a few times just be on the water surrounded by the stupendous views.
May 26th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Marmot's suggestions are good. That's just what I would do wither a mere two days in Hong Kong.

If you want some very detailed info, do a search here and look for Cicerone's posts. She's an ex-pat living in Hong Kong and our resident expert. Her suggestions are often more oriented to someone who has more time there, but your wife may well find some things that strike her as "must-do."
May 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Marmot's suggestions are good. That's just what I would do with a mere two days in Hong Kong.

If you want some very detailed info, do a search here and look for Cicerone's posts. She's an ex-pat living in Hong Kong and our resident expert. Her suggestions are often more oriented to someone who has more time there, but your wife may well find some things that strike her as "must-do."
May 27th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for those responses. That alone will be useful. No doubt in two days, there won't be alot to take in. It'd just be a shame to go to Hong Kong for the first time on business and not get a chance to take in any of the city at all!
Sep 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM

why isn't it easy for a single person to dine in Hong Kong?
Sep 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM

richard - It's hard to have proper Cantonese meal at most local restaurants (not the high-end places in 5* hotels). That's because a Cantonese meal have several dishes.

I am Cantonese, and at home, there's at least one fish/seafood dish, one meat dish, and one vegetable dish for the three of us in my family. Same thing when we go out and eat.

Now, when there's only two people, that's already very hard to order. Order two things, and it's boring. Three dishes, and it gets expensive and can't finish. [Some restaurants do have special set dinner for two with smaller portion sizes of 3-4 items.]

If two is hard enough, one person dining alone becomes almost impossible.

If I'm by myself, I'll go to a fast-food type place, have western food, or something else.
Sep 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM

Does one really have to order all those dishes?
Sep 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM

There's also the soup. Most restaurants would also have soup of the day. It's available in single portions. However with the 1-2 dishes it gets really difficult to consume it all.

Applies to dim sum as the minimum is 2-3 pieces.

Sep 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM

You can order whatever you want, but having a pretty big dish of beef in front of you and a bowl of rice, with nothing else, is not really cantonese dining. I know that's what many of my American friends do when they go order Chinese food, but Cantonese food is meant to be share.

Yes, for dim sum, it's best to have 4 people going together. Each one gets a piece of whatever. Reorder if you want more. But if just one person going, how many different things can you order when they come in fours?

But again, this only applies to the more mainstream Chinese restaurants. The higher-end ones definitely get more couples going, and even some singles. Especially at the 5* hotels.

Or at "Jasmine", a newer, fancier restaurant run by the Maxim/Jade Garden group. Last fall, my friend and I had no problem ordering a few dishes as the portion sizes are smaller. But a few days later at a regular Jade Garden with another friend, ordering just seems difficult.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:51 AM

Coupled with the Star Ferry I'd do a walk along the Kowloon Waterfront near the Intercontinental at least once.

Last time I was in HK (3 years ago) it got very busy here during the light show.

I'd agree on a short itinary the Peak Tram is worth it.

A short ride on a tram is also cheap and fun
Sep 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM

Some good advice above and , as you have mentioned museums, I would definitely recommend you go to the Museum of the History of Hong Kong . It is fascinating and will give you a great understanding of what has led up to the Hong Kong of today. I was really impressed at how well it was done and I am not normally a museum person. Its on Kowloon side ( I think Mody Road?? ). Enjoy that fabulous city!
Sep 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM

Museum of History is in Tsimshatsui East, on Chatham Road. I have a few pictures of it - outside and inside - in this gallery. Starting with this picture:

rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p163727794/?photo=526890207

Personally, this is the item that's most interesting to me:

rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p163727794/?photo=484942427
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:49 AM

jasmine restaurant together with a few others in jardine house central are under renovaton till end of year.
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:58 AM

watakeet - Thanks for the info. Jasmine also has at least one other restaurant - like the one I went to at Festival Walk on Kowloon side.
Sep 4th, 2007, 11:35 PM

this webpage has general background info about fun in countryside and city in hong kong -

http://www.youth.gov.hk/en/info_centre/leisure/200F.htm

should be useful
Sep 5th, 2007, 01:26 AM

As I have travelled to Hong Kong several times by myself, I do find it frustrating that I can't get to enjoy all those wonderful dishes that need to eaten with a group. I tend to use Cafe de Coral restaurants during the day. Not the best I know, but their plates of BBQ & noodles etc are good.

Search this Thread