Search

HawaiianBoi's Trip Recap to BKK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HawaiianBoi's Trip Recap to BKK

Aloha kakou (hello all):

I've got to say, what a great country and BKK what an interesting city!

I had a great time there, although not as much time as I wish I had.

We arrived on January 22nd on China Airlines via HNL to Taipei and taipei to BKK. The new airport is beautiful and from what my Aunts say much more efficient.

We arrived at our hotel, Imperial Queen's Park Hotel, it's in a very convenient area. Near the BTS, near a park for morning walks, 7-11 across the street and very friendly staff.

After getting settled we found LEMONGRASS on soi 24. What a great introduction to authentic thai cuisine! The curries were excellent, but what won me over was the Pomelo Salad. We eat pomelo as a citrus snack, never did I think one could make a great salad with it! For those who suggested this restaurant, Mahalo! It was a great way to end the night.

The next day we went to the Grand Palace and SJ Jewelry! Kathie, Lily is a sweetheart! She said she looks forward to seeing you soon. My family owns a tahitian pearl farm in tahiti and I told Lily when I'm back I will certainly bring some for her pleasure, since she was such a great lady! I wish I had more time there! Not only did she give me Kathie's discount but everybody in my group! They were certainly happy.

The Palace grounds and temple of the Emerald Buddha was beyond stunning and humbling! I wanted to hire Tong Tong for the whole trip but she wasn't available, so in our next trip we will book her early. Nonetheless, the palace was an amazing experience.

It is no secret that His Majesty is well loved by the commonwealth. I greatly admire that. I kept asking why do they love him so much, their answer was he is the people's king and takes much of his time and resources in allowing those in the outskirts to develop their agricultural skills and increasing education. I was very moved by that and have been in touch with the King's minister of foreign relations, we will be donating a sizeable amount of money to His Majesty's efforts. I was always taught from young, you leave some where better than when you arrived and I'm hoping our small part will do just that.

We took a four hour ride to Kanchana Buri to ride down a river on bamboo rafts as well as visit the elephant farm. I think I became a Green Peace activist after that visit! We got to see the Kwai River and Bridge.

Of course shopping was in the agenda and visited MBK, Central World and the flea market at the top near the Chit Lom bts station.

We ate at a cool restaurant called Cabbages and Condoms, great food and an interesting name!

While I wasn't able to make it Jack's Monet il Sarto at the Marriott I visited the underground market near the former World Trade Center. Found a tailor there who made me 10 longsleeve shirts and 5 pants for work, made it in a day and a half, I could not have been more pleased and have been wearing them since my return...9,500 baht was all I paid, I thought it was a steal! Wool, cashmere, thaisilk, those were some of the fabrics picked.

I was humbled by how religious the thai people are and the number of altars and buddhas all around, it was refreshing to experience that amount of religion in such a bustling area.

Well I'll stop yapping for now, but it was a great trip and I certainly look forward to returning sometime soon!

For those who are seasoned travelers to BKK, what is the weather like in the beginning of November?

Thank you all for your suggestions.

For those who are interested, here's some pictures: http://photos.yahoo.com/adrian_kamalii (thailand trip album)

Mahalo nui ia 'oukou,

Adrian
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:22 PM

adrian...the beg. of nov. is the start of the very best weather in thailand ....it is perfect....slightly cooler than what you just experienced, but not much....sunny days....little rain, if any....

thanks for the report

bob
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM

great photos, thanks
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:52 PM

I'm so glad you enjoyed Bangkok and that you liked Lemongrass (one of my favorites!) and that your shopping with Lily at SJ was great. I've been traveling to Bangkok in November for the last seberal years, and will be in bangkok gain in Nov 2007 - as Bob says, it's the beginning of the best weather.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM

so how soon can you go back....they have a glut of beer on their hands and they are selling it for 10 B per bottle...
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 03:20 AM

HB-thanks for the prompt report. Sounds like you too have been captured by the magic of Thailand. Tong is super. penalty avoided.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Adrian- Try taking ANA next trip. You will really like them.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Aloha Kakahiaka HawaiianBoi,

Well at least it's morning over here i paradise.

Mahalo for taking time to write a trip report. Looks like you had a great time.

How was the service on China Air? I am always tempted to use them as their fares to the orient from Hawaii seem to be the best.

`O wau iho hawaiiantraveller nô me ke aloha!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Really glad you had such a great time! Happy Travels!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Aloha all,

Thank you for all of your comments. I am glad that November's weather in BKK will be holding up because I'll be back this year!

Thank you Kathie, rhkkmk, guenmai, hawaiiantravel for the info and tips, truly made my trip an enjoyable one! In November I hope to make it to Chiang Mai for a few days.

Thank you all, again.

Adrian
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Oh and just to let you all know the new airport fee has been raised from 500 baht to 1,000 baht.

Adrian
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:29 AM

You mean 700 baht, right?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:52 AM

Adrian-if you can arrange it, try to be in Chiang Mai on November 24, the prime night of Loy Krathong. We were there a few years ago and it's really magical.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Bisbee, the sign at the new airport said effective Feb 2nd the new airport fee was 1,000 baht. Anybody else seen that?

Will surely keep that in mind. I am amazed by the kathrong and how they create those beautiful pieces.

aloha, a.