Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kathie's in Bangkok report live from Bangkok!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, we are settled in our suite at the Royal Orchid after the interminable flight...

The new airport: We had to park at a remote gate (and bus in to the terminal) due to continuing construction. The airport itself is lovely, and the wait at immigration was very short. Within a half an hour of getting to the terminal we were through customs, had our luggage and were arranging a limo. AOT limo to the ROS was 1200 baht. The sign said the rate to the Hyatt, Four Seasons et al was 800 baht. AOT seems to have all new cars - very nice. The drive to the hotel at midnight was quick - 25 minutes, express almost all the way.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Welcome back Kathie!

You've picked the perfect time to be here - nice weather, perfect temperature, and a wonderful celebration tonight.

Enjoy the fireworks!
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Kathie:

Happy to hear you had a safe flight. Hope the Face Spa is in your near future.

Aloha!
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 02:02 AM

Kathie, did you have a reservation for the AoT Limo or did you just go to their counter? I can't find a web site. Is the counter easy to find? Enjoy your stay.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 02:34 AM

Kathie-I'm jealous. I think you're having dinner with Bob and Karen as I write this. Hope Loy Krathong is wonderful. Please get the ROS ready for our arrival on the 23rd.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Glad you made it safely. Have a great trip! Happy Travels!
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Hanuman, yes, the weather is lovely! We were out walking yesterday morning commenting on how pleasant it is.

HT, we made reservations at Face via the interenet before we left Seattle. So yesterday morning we took the Sheraton boat to the skytrain (very nice refurbished teak boat with padded banquettes) and skytrained to Face. They recognized us from last trip and were so gracious and welcoming. It was as wonderful as we remembered. We will, of course, be back at least once more before we return to cold and rainy Seattle. We had a great luch at Lanna Thai after our spa. Last trip the "best" Thai dish of the trip was duck stirfried with kaffir leaves. So we had it again and it was as superlative as we remembered.

Cheryl wanted to look into getting glasses here. so after lunch we went to Siam Paragon. It has six optical shops located in one area, so it was a great place to look. We looked at all six places. There was a great selection of European frames, a few places had a selection of Japanese frames. Cheryl chose an Armani frame, and then chose another Armani frame for some prescription sunglasses. The prices were about half of the prices in Seattle. We'll pick up the completed glasses when we are back through here in a couple of weeks. For others thinking about ordering glasses, if you need a progressive lens, figure on a week. It takes less time for a single vision lens.

glk, we did not have a limo reservation, we just used the walk-up counter at the airport. It's just as you come out the door, off to the side before you plunge into the crowds of people waving signs. Actually, as we walked out the door, I paused, looking for a limo stand. There was a man standing near the entrance and I asked him for the limo stand and he took me to the stand off to the right side of the exit from customs.

Gpanda, we did indeed have dinner with Bob and Karen at Tongue Thai and a good time was had by all. We are looking forward to the gtg tonight. By the way, Bob tells me that you and Beth will be arriving the afternoon of the 23rd. Perhaps we can meet in the Towers lounge that evening (if you aren't both totally wiped out by the plane ride and the jetlag). We leave on a 6:40 am flight on the 24th, so we just barely overlap.

I think jewelry shopping may be on the agenda today...
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Kathie - re Cheryl's glasses - I've bought progressives in Bkk a couple of times and been very happy - but just one thing I noticed - I usually get an oval frame and sometimes they don't quite place the lense as well as they should and the vital bits are just a little off. When I try them on they seem just fine but a few hours use and I realise that its not quite right - so please make sure you pick the glasses up as early as possilbe to make sure they are sitting right and that you have time to go back in the next day or so for adjustment. I have heard complaints from people getting progressives and them not being the correct focus - no such problems for me but just this misplacement which tends to give you the same feeling.

Have a great time at the GTG and for the rest of your trip.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Kathie

I'm jealous....I want to be at Face
Spa right now, ahh well. The food at Lanna Thai is really good especially after a spa treatment. Hope all goes well
Say hi to Lily for me and tell her I'll be back next year.

Aloha!
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM

In response to glk11b Aot limos can be emailed at [email protected] or website www.airporttransportthailand.com
They quote 1 way to BKK centre for 875Baht and return 1660 baht including tolls. I think you could probably do a better price on arrival.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Kathie-it would be great to meet. I think our plane lands at 2:30 p.m.. Does 5:30 p.m. sound good? In truth, we are not in a Towers room, but I suspect it will not make any difference. Please E-mail me at [email protected].
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Kathie
I think you and I might share a birthday... right? Do I remember correctly that Nov 7 is also YOUR birthday? I'm celebrating mine in Zurich with shopping and hairdo on the Bahnhofstrasse and dinner at one of my favorite pizza restaurants. It would be nice to be celebrating in BKK, but as long as my DH's business trip to Europe is in early November. I'll have to put up with Zurich (oh drat... lol)

In any case... Happy Birthday (to us) if I've got that date right.

Carol (no e)

PS hope to see you at guenmai's GTG in LA
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Glad you're having a fabulous time, Kathie...and you too Carol...with no"E". Smiles. I know you two are on the opposite sides of the world, but hey...as long as it's a vacation it doesn't really matter where one is! Happy Travels!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Carol, you are so right. Nov 7 is the birthday of a number of us Fodorites - Gloria, too as I remember. So happy birthday to my fellow Fodorites and thanks for your good wishes. It's Nov 7 in Bangkok right now, so I'm celebrating!

Mary, Cheryl bought glasses in KL two years ago and had a great expereince. She has scheduled to pick them up the day we get back to Bangkok so she can test them out and get any adjustments made. Your advice is good - it's like tailoring or anything else custom-made.

HT and Guenmai, I said hello to Lily for both of you. She remembered you both of course. She also said "So many people they tell me Kathie from Seattle sent them!

More report from Bangkok: I was rushed yesterday morning, so didn't have time to write about the Loy Krathong celebrations. The fireworks were spectacular. The fireworks in front of the Sheraton and the Pen were syncronized so the same shells were lit at the same time. From our room, it was as if we were seeing a close-up and a distance shot on the same screen. Cheryl took lots of photos!

We were out and about all day yesterday as well as our first day in Bangkok (exactly what we tell newbies not to do.) By the time we got to the gtg at the Marriot, we were exhausted and the jetlag was catching up with us. There was a good turnout - I'm sure Bob will be able to list everyone... cadwax, BradinBangkok, MichaelBKK, mirasia, orgy, a "lurker" from Denver... who am I missing? Well I can blame the jetlag for not remembering. Anyway, it was nice to meet so many people. Bob and Karen suprised me with a birthday cake - how sweet. Unfortunately, we were fading fast, and Cheryl and I left about 6:15 to head back to our hotel to collapse.

By the way, we ate lunch at Lemongrass yesterday and it was excellent. I've eaten there on Bangkok trips for many years and the food has always been good.

Gpanda, we'd love to meet. I will email you.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Hi Kathie. Thanks for the info on the AoT Limo. I went to the Face Thai web site and found your favorite dish. Cost about $11. I was shocked at the wine prices or am I missing something. Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cab/Merlot 2003 sells for around $10-$15 here in Florida. Price at Face BHT3,400 ($90). Guess I'll stick with the beer but would appreciate any comments. Jerry
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM

kathie, sounds like you all are having a great time. wish i was there for the gtg so i could witness the meeting between bob and orgy. must have been interesting.

btw, got a question i've been meaning to ask, not just you, all who have been to a spa, like ht. when one goes to these spas, like face, what is the uniform of the day? i mean, like, does one wear swim shorts, pajamas, etc?

i've had alot of foot and thai massages, but never been to a spa.

glk, the price of the wine sounds about right. its very expensive in thailand, especially at the fine dining places.

you can get a good bottle of wine at the various supermarkets, and have a pre-dinner glass in your hotel room before going out, or go to the food court in central, and have a bottle of chilean wine for under 700b, and listen to jazz, as you wind down from a hectic day in bangkok.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM

it was so much fin at the GTg yesterday---metting both old and new friends
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:45 PM

kuranosuke:

At places like Face Spa they give you disposable underwear bottoms to wear under the towel that they so deftly drape over your body.

At other places it's your birthday suite with a towel stategically placed by the masseuse. All very professional and very comfortable at the reputable spots. No happy endings there....but maybe at some spots near nana, so I've heard ,lol.

Aloha!

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Jerry, Wine in Thailand is very pricy because there is a 400% excise tax on wine. So while I am a wine drinker, I don't drink wine in Thailand.

Ken, if you opt for traditional Thai massage at Face, they have those soft white cotton suits you put on. Otherwise, you can opt for the paper underwear or your birthday suit...
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

More report from Bangkok: Interesting day today. SInce it was my birthday, I opted to do things that have long been on my list of things I wanted to do but haven't manages to do. We visited a couple of wats, I made an offering at one for a dear friend who had a brain tumor removed this summer, I visited teh amulat market and bought a couple of old ones.

We also ate at Chote Chitr, one of the restaurants written up by Johnny Apple. What an expereince! We walked there from Wat Sathat, asking directions ar every corner! It took us an hour to get there. Anyway, I will write much more about these expereinces in my full report.

By the way, on an afternoon visit to the Jim Thompson outlet we noted they now have a restaurant on the top floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -