Search

Hanoi Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:57 AM
gayle

Hanoi Hotels

Travelling to Hanoi in the fall - Need some help with hotels. Looking for small, funky hotel - just need private bath and I am happy. Thanks.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Alan

Hi, Gayle!<BR>I don't know where you will find a "funky" hotel in Hanoi, but we stayed in one that provided us with what we thought was a slightly different experience, so maybe this will do you, too.... the Don Xuan is as cheap as can be, but it has private bathrooms (a resident green lizard in ours) and, best of all, it's right above the fruit and vegetable markets in the old quarter. If you get a room with a balcony facing the front, the sounds and smells of the markets will wake you from about 6 in the morning, and you can just stand on your balcony as the stallholders set up their wares and take dozens of great photographs. The smell of all the exotic fruits will stay with you for weeks, and your breakfast will cost you a dollar, right at the door of your hotel. Funky enough for you?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:07 AM
gayle

Alan sounds absolutely perfect. Can I book ahead of time and if so, do you have a tel or fax number for this 'funky hotel'. thanks. gayle<BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Alan

Hi again, Gayle!<BR>I didn't have a phone or a fax number, so I did a search on google for you. Seems I spelled it wrong... it's the Dong Xuan. No problems there... but google sites tell me that there are now TWO hotels with that name, very close together: one at 26 Cao Thang St (tel 04-828 4474; fax 928 0124) and another at 3 Thanh Ha St (tel 8253290; fax 828 2142.)I am not sure which one we stayed at, but my guess is that it is the second of these, as it was right near the beginning of the street, with some kind of community hall across the square on the other side (a good way to find it again)... so number 3 sounds right. Not absolutely sure, however! You will see lots of reports on both these hotels if you type the name into google. Good luck!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:44 AM
sipasa

I found onw website with a lot of funky hotels and the price sound good.<BR>http://www.vietnamstay.com. You can book online there too.<BR>Good luck.