Reload this Page >

Loi Krathong-Where best to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Joan

I will be in Thailand during November and want to see the Loi Krathong festival. Is is better to see it in Chiang Mai or in Sukhothai?

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 10:14 AM
Les

Joan, <BR>We were in Chiang Mai during the festival, and it was very enjoyable, with a local flavor, as opposed to a show for tourists. <BR>I can't comment on Sukhothai, never having been there. <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> Les

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 05:06 AM
pat

Bonjour Joan, <BR>From the calendar this year the Loy Krathong will be on Sat Nov 11th, there will be a celebration nationwide, I would recommend Sukhothai, because that is where the original festival began more than 700 years ago, and the historical park is second to none (in thailand). You may have to check when the light and sounds in Sukhothai will begin for this year, normally around that time. <BR>Enjoy your time. <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 09:14 PM
Teak Tree

Sukothai is the more famous place for Loy Krathong but it gets very crowded. Why not try a more out-of-the-way place, a town 1 hour from Sukothai called Kamphaeng Phet, which also celebrates Loy Krathong? The Ping River runs by the town and it also has a UNESCO World Heritage site historical park, with very few tourists.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Jennifer

Joan, would love to get a copy of your travel report but your email address doesn't work. I'm especially interested in your take on the Loy Krathong festival and whether the crowds in Sukothai were bearable.