Good hotel in Bangkok center?

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good hotel in Bangkok center?

I was in Bangkok already, stayed at the Peninsula and enjoyed it very much. By the time I was there I said the next time I would go to Bangkok I would try the Marriott Resort but this time I will be in Bangkok fo a day and a half.

I think that if I stay at the Marriott Resort I will spend much of my time taking the skytrain and waiting for the boat.
Maybe I would better stay in a hotel in the center , where I can easily walk to the main sites or take a tuk tuk.

Which good hotels would you recommend? I was thinking of something on the same quality and price as the Marriott.

Thanks

Teresa

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Perhaps the Plaza Athenee would work for you - we found the location excellent for shopping/dining in the central Bangkok/Sukhumvit area. The skytrain is a short walk from the hotel and the room price should be close to that of the Marriott.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:25 AM

What are the "main sites" you would want to see during that day and a half? As you know, things are very spread out in Bangkok, so if we knew what you wanted to do we'd have a better chance of recommending a place closeby.

(By the way, I wouldn't take a tuk tuk anywhere in Bangkok. Taxix are cheap, air-conditioned and safer.)
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:11 AM

majestic grande is a possibility on soi 2, sukhumvit, the landmark on sukhumvit, the sheraton grande or westin grand both on sukhumvit....the intercontinental on plenochit and next door the totally refurbished holiday inn bangkok...the conrad or hyatt or 4 seasons in the wireless road area....

there is the jw marriott too on soi 2, sukhumvit...

lots of hotels to choose from the holiday inn probably being the least expensive....chateau de bangkok is in the same area as well...
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies. I was also considering the Montien Hotel or the Rembrandt. Both look very central and have good rates. What do you think of them?

Also, forgot to add something, for my first night in Bangkok, I was thinking of staying in a hotel next to the airport, as I have an early flight the next day to Chiang Mai. Do you think it's the right decision? From what I remember, the distances from the center to the airport are great , with much traffic.

Many thanks again

Teresa
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM

the new airport should be open then and there really is only one novotel hotel there and it is quite expensive....personally i would stay down town and leave earlier for the airport of take a slightly later flight...

the rembrandt gets only so so reviews and it it a long 2 block walk from sukhumvit, although they do have a tuk tuk to drive you....can't remember if skytrain station is right there or not at end of street, but think not....we have looked at rooms and the one we shown was nice, but others have complained of bugs and not nice rooms...i would not stay there....the restuarants on the other hand are some of the best in bkk: indian, italian and mexican...

montien...i would far prefer the marriott resort over it...way better location and actually more remote than the marriott

majestic grande is a far better choice and so is the holiday inn bangkok---not to be confused with the HI silom....
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Tere, we have just got home from Bangkok where we stayed at the Montien. Not sure if Bob (above) is referring to Montien Suraswonge where we stayed or the Montien Riverside. We found the Montien Suriswonge very good with fabulous staff and it was easy to get around the city from there. Good luck!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:01 PM

one problem that some have reported with the montien in town is its location sort of in the middle of the adult entertainment area---patpong....

two ladies that we met in bali a year or so ago said the hotel was horrible...
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

The Majestic Grande seems great and it's about the same price as the Montien, thanks. If not, the Marriott Resort is always an option.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:29 AM

Most times I stay in Bangkok I stay at the Montien. I'm not there for the adult entertainment but I find it a good hotel and central to everything. There is a subway station outside and the skytrain is a block away. There is more to the Patpong area than adult entertainment.