Bangkok Hotel

Oct 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Bangkok Hotel

Hi,

We are a couple in our early 30s looking for a hotel up to $200 in Bangkok for our stay in late November. We prefer less commercial hotels, but would like a pool, although it's not required. Only going to be there for 2 days, mainly to shop and sightsee. We've narrowed it down to the following:

--Luxx
--Siam design hotel
--Davis

Our concern is the location with the Davis, but we're cool with riding a tuktuk to get to the train station.

Any thoughts? Additional contributions?

Thanks so much!
Oct 28th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Some interesting choices, especially considering what you could get in that price range. The Davis, while it's very nice, is very corporate modern. IMO the Marriott Riverside is less commercial looking than the Davis.

There have been a lot of posts here about small hotels in Bangkok, like Chakrabongse Villas, Reflections, Old Bangkok Inn, Siam Heritage etc.
Oct 28th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Yes, also consider the Arun Residence. Do a search for each of these, and you'll find helpful reviews.

I always prefer to be on the river. For me, it's what makes it Bangkok.
Oct 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks!

In response, we're looking for a design hotel, something a little more modern than the old bangkok inn vibe. Reflections looks fun, but a little un-luxe. The Metropolitan was considered but a little pricey and we're concerned about it being too much of a party scene.

We also considered the Marriot but were concerned about children/ families and the location. With only 2 days of sightseeing and shopping/eating, I wanted to cram in as much as possible, while also having a nice, central base to recharge. However, given all the positive comments re: the Marriot, i may reconsider.

I stayed at the Sukhothai a few years ago and really enjoyed it - so was looking for something similar, but less expensive. And I don't remember the travel/traffic being that much of an issue, but that was over 5 years ago. Things change quickly!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will do a little more digging

Cheers! A
Oct 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Given what you've said, the Siam @ Siam is probably the best location for you. Siam Heritage or the 222 would be the alternatives, but the area might be a little off-putting.
Oct 29th, 2007, 09:56 AM

OK...I did a trip report in Aug/Sept 2006 and mentioned the Luxx as I went there to check it out. It's nice, however, the rooms that I was seen were rather dark and congested. The whole hotel seems cramped as it was once an aparmtent building that was converted. I would choose something else.
As for the Davis...it's one street over from the apartmnet building where I stay when in Bangkok and I love Sukhumvit area, but since you'll only be there for 2 days, I'd try something more central. Plus, the Davis is almost at the end of the soi...lane..which for me is too far from the skytrain station to walk with or without shopping bags full of things. So, you'll be more taxi dependent although the Davis does have a shuttle service, but who knows how long you'll have to wait for it.
As for the Siam Design Hotel, I don't know that one, so can't comment on it.
Friends of mine will be staying in the Arun Residence which sounds interesting. I don't think it's near a skytrain station though so maybe you'll need to take taxis.

To be really central to shopping, then the hotels around Rajadamri, Siam, and Chitlom skytrain stations are great for shopping. I'd check out the Swissotel at Neilert Park if I were you. Happy Travels!
Oct 29th, 2007, 11:05 AM

I know you said no commerical hotels but have a look at the Pathumwan Princess with direct access to a skytrain station and the famous MBK shopping Mall and one stop (or walk) to Siam Square with its many malls including the upmarket Siam Paragog.

Also the Holiday Inn (Ploenchit Road one) right by the Cntral World Plaza, easy walk to Siam Square, Central Dept Store and skytrain.

Why take a tuk-tuk to the station when for around the same price a taxi is much better and safer. Also the subway goes right to the station.
Oct 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Correction...."The roome that I was seen..." should have read, "The room that I was shown". Happy Travels!
Oct 29th, 2007, 07:05 PM

My typing is getting worse with age...as I've just noticed in the above correction. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Oct 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM

My spellin is not much better. Siam Paragog should read Siam Paragon
Oct 30th, 2007, 03:04 AM

I've just spent three nights at Siam at Siam. For $104 business class room [Asiarooms rate] it was great value, very funky, totally organised and kinda fun. Super close to the Sky Train too.

Recommended - apart from the rather unfortunate 'art' splattered all over one wall of my room. But that's a matter of taste.

Check out 'Dream Hotel' too - looks cool. I'm there in a fortnight.
Oct 30th, 2007, 04:06 AM

For your price range the Landmark Hotel (Sukhumvit Road) would be okay, unless you think it is too commercial! Real close to the Nana Skytrain stop.

You said:
"Our concern is the location with the Davis, but we're cool with riding a tuktuk to get to the train station."

Take a meter taxi with A/C. Much safer and cheaper if you insist that the driver use the METER! Don't bargain the price or it will be more expensive than the meter fare! Tuk-tuks are more expensive than meter taxi cabs, besides unless you are very short you can't see anything because of the roof that curves down blocking your view.
Oct 30th, 2007, 07:40 AM

It sounds as though you want hip modern so I would stick to Luxx, Siam Design, Metropolitan etc -- not the bigger, more commercial hotels or the small quaint ones.
Oct 30th, 2007, 09:46 AM

I forgot to add that I have actually stayed at the Metropolitan Hotel and have seen several rooms and a suite there and I would definitely stay there again if I needed to stay in a hotel although it's further from a skytrain station than I prefer....but still doable. But one could taxi to and from the hotel. I would definitely pick it over the Luxx as there's no comparison between the two....like comparing apples to oranges. Happy Travels!
Oct 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM

Hi

I had a great stay at Lebua in May. I got a HUGE room, great view from the 50th something floor etc. I wouldn't advice you to use a tuktuk by the way unless you are familiar with their "ways" They have a tendency to rip you of and drive you to places that you don't really want to go.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Oct 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all your comments. I think we may go with the Siam, and do some research into neighborhoods that are more convenient.

Honestly we're there for such a short amount of time, that i'm starting to think that convenience is key. And if the hotel looks nice, and has some interesting features, even better.

hey also - random question since everyone has been super responsive - will it be warm enough in chiang mai for me to swim in late nov/early dec?

cheers!
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Yes, it will be warm enough to swim.

If you want a hotel that is convenient for shopping, consider one near a skytrain station, or for sightseeing consider one of the river hotels.
Oct 30th, 2007, 07:09 PM

When I was in Chiangmai years ago and in December, it was very hot. People kept saying how cool it would be in Chiangmai compared to Bangkok, but it was definitely not so when I was there. It was about like L.A. in August/September. Happy Travels!
Oct 31st, 2007, 05:04 AM

I agree 100% that you should be near a skytrain station for convenience. Bangkok traffic can be a real bear!

Bradinbangkok (my son) is right now in Bangkok, and just reported on two hotels in a thread called "New Bangkok Hotels" or something similar to that. He said that [email protected] was a good place to dine. Then, there is another new hotel at Victory Monument area.

Victory Monument has its own skytrain station so would not be too inconvenient, although it is several stops from there to get to the Siam area for shopping.

The Holiday Inn (Ploenchit) sits right outside a skytrain station and costs just over $100 per night, breakfast not included. My room was a basic king room and I thought was quite roomy. I loved the big rainbath type of shower head in the shower stall!!!

Carol