domestic flights thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys - we are 2.5 weeks away from our honeymoon in thailand! (the wedding is still before that, so u can imagine how busy we are!)

we need to book our internal flights in Thailand... basically, a round trip BKK - CN - BKK and another round trip BKK - KS - BKK.

i found the sites of airlines to be not so user friendly (or maybe my head is bogged down with other stuff right now) and were hoping to book it all through a travel agency to make it easier for us.

we spoke to a travel agency in Israel - where we live - and were quoted $357.00 USD per person for the flights - which would be flights that can be changed around if needed. i.e. itinerary can be changed, or in event of missed flight.

i did think this was a bit high ($700 for both of us!!) as we didnt anticipate the domestic flights to be this expensive.

can anyone input??

are there any thai travel agencies that deal with this stuff and can anyone tell me who to contact?
(i would imagine that booking from accross the world via local agent IS justifiably more expensive.....

thanx you guys - cant wait to get there!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

typo:
BKK - CM - BKK and another round trip BKK - KS - BKK.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I use the local AmEx agent in Bangkok, Eddie. email him at [email protected]

The price for the flights to/from Koh Samui is high as Bangkok Air owns the airport. Actually, it looks like you would be eligible for the Bangkok Air Discovery pass. Take a look at the Bangkok Air website. You have to book that from outside the country. I know it's easy to book from US/UK/AUS I don't know about Israel.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:11 PM

eddie is fantastic and he will deliver the tickets to your bkk hotel and allow you to charge them to a credit card...

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:20 PM

first of all the flt to samui can only be done on bangkok air and they also fly to chiang mai or you can use thai air or one of the discount airlines for CM..

i ran your trips using aug 30 with a sept 4 return for both flights...they have three price ranges depending on length of the ticket validity...you could use any one of them....i did it all on bkk air...the site is easy to use...

total prices were for the both of you:

$388, $588 or $624

so you could save money by using the website and getting e tickets....or ask eddie to do it...not sure if my prices include taxes and gas surcharges...
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:21 PM

the address is: www.bangkokair.com
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:57 PM

As low as 4775 THB all in, roundtrip to Samui, at bangkokair.com That's about $127. But it it limited to the 6AM flights going south and 6AM or 10PM flight back to BKK. For a wider choice of flight times you'd pay 7345 roundtrip, about $196.

BKK-Chiang Mai is 4025 all in. That's about $107. But there are only 2 flights a day.

Saw thaiairways.com roundtrip fare to Chiang Mai for 5520, and they have a much more frequent schedule, 9 or 10 nonstops per day. It's relatively a lot higher priced but still only $147

So, I see how the happy couple could fly those two trips for $468, but $606 is more likely, total for two.

Taking the bangkok air to samui and Thai to CM would be about $343 per person. If that is what your Israeli TA had for $700 for two then it is not a bad price.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Note that at some times during the year there is a once daily non stop CM-Samui with bangkok Airways, try for that flight unless you need to route via Bangkok
http://www.beachsiam.com/thailand.html has links for all the domestic airlines but I think the Pass with Bangkok Airways is the way to go.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

YOu guys are the best!!!

thank for the information... what i concluded is that although we CAN ideally travel for cheaper - like if we were on a tight budget - at inconvenient flight hours etc...

But that the price for better flight hours and for the possibility of flight changes - the quote we got in Isreal isnt too high.. maybe a drop higher if we book on our own, but i guess as we are very stressed with wedding plans right now - better to pay the extra 50 bucks and have someone else do the hard work.. .right?

i guess i just hadnt realised that domestic flights were that high, and after booking our international flights and hotels in thailand - this was an added cost we hadnt calculated correctly...
oh well, but i guess a honemoon is once in a lifetime!

funny how i thought originally that thailand was a once in a lifetime as well, but now reading fodors, i see that its the kind of place you just wanna go back to any chance you have!

thanx again!!

Julia
(FireDragonII)
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:06 AM

Julia, you can also fly to Surat Thani on the mainland and then bus/ferry to Samui, it takes a lot longer but the fares on One-2-Go BKK-Samui are quite cheap, you need to balance the cost with journey time, I know some would find the air/bus/ferry tirsome but others could equaly find it a nice way to spend the day, each to their own!