flights within thailand ?

Aug 12th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

flights within thailand ?

Hi,

I have a few basic questions about flights within Thailand. I'll be there around the Christmas holidays. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

What's the easiest/quickest way to get from Bangkok airport to downtown, most likely the river Marriot? How much does it cost each way?

How much approximately is a flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap and what's the best airline for this?

How much approximately is a flight from Siem Reap to Golden Triangle? I assume it goes through Bangkok and that I will have to buy a ticket to Bangkok and then another to Chiang Rai. Is this correct?

How much approximately is a flight from Golden Triangle to Koh Samui?

Is it possible to buy a ticket or pass that will let me fly: Bangkok to Siem Reap to Golden Triangle to Koh Samui to Bangkok?

Thanks so much, Jeff

Aug 12th, 2005, 07:00 AM

bangkok air is the airline that you probably want to explore...they offer a discovery pass which does some international (SR) and some domestic routes....you need to book at least 3 legs to use this pass....it is $80 per leg for an international flight for near by locations like siem reap and $50 for each domestic leg...

a plain flight to SR is about $275 r.t. and yes you will have to fly through bangkok probably although for a period of time they also offered flights to chiang mai as well...check their schedule...

the discovery pass has to be booked over the telephone i think...you then have to send a check to their office for payment....in my case it was to their ny office....don't know where you are located?? then then send you tickets...this is the way they get around offering discounts i believe...

to get from bkk airport (the old airport) to the marriott is quite simple...the two best ways are via a taxi for about 400-600 B...you get that at the taxi stand as you leave the exit door (follow signs for taxi)---ignor all the people who approach you offering taxis---deal only with the taxi stand---there is a booth there and they give you a piece of paper...there is a 50B surcharge....
if you have never been to bkk before and if you have come from overseas, i suggest that you pre arrange a taxi/limo which will cost 700-800 B to the marriott....i use AAC limo...an added feature of doing this is that this is a big car with a decent sized trunk for large suitcases, whereas the taxi will be a toyota corolla with a small trunk...

AAC limo: [email protected]

you will save about 10% on a round trip...my fare was 1440B roundtrip in may/june...you need to pay in cash...they have a desk just inside the exit door to the taxi stand on the left...there are ATM machines just in back of where they are to get cash...no credit cards...i find them totally reliable...

once you have done it you will find a taxi is an easy way to do it in the future but for the first time and for initial arrival i always use them...
a regular taxi from the marriott to the airport is about 200-400 B depending on traffic...you also pay the lime and the taxi 60B extra for the use of the tollroad...make sure they take the toll road....or you will spend hours getting there....the taxi drivers will speak little english...the limo drivers will speak more, but not much more...

the third way is to have the marriott send a car for you...last time i checked they charged $36 each way ++...the ++ is 17.7% service and tax which they add to everything you charge at the hotel....this is also not a bad option for your initial arrival...they will send a mercedes which is large and comfortable...the drivers will have decent english...

to the golden triangle i think bkk air only flies as far as CM, but you would have to check with them...thai air and some of the discount fliers go to chiang rai...it will be about $100-150 r.t. for thai and much less for the discounters...there has been lots written here about the discounters...i do not trust their scheduling and delays...

to samui it is also bkk air...they own the airport and i think they have an occasional flight from chiang mai but lots of flights thru bkk....each leg would be $50 or pass or about $75??? for regular...bkk airs website is easy to use...take a look at it...you can book directly on it for non pass flights...i think my r.t. bkk phuket was only about $110 vs $100 with the pass...

jeff the problem with the pass for you may be that bkk air does not fly to CR i don't think....why not rent a car in CM and drive up to CR in that case...its easy driving in the north---nothing like in bkk
Aug 12th, 2005, 07:05 AM

sorry for the typing errors, but i think you get the jist..
Aug 12th, 2005, 10:16 PM

Here is what I would suggest in the way of flying. Get the Bangkok Air Pass for three sections (minimum) - 2 international and 1 domestic. That will cost 80+80+50 plus 27 in taxes, total 237 us.
BK/SR/BK - Bangkok Air - 178 (pass)
BK/CR/Bk - Air Asia - 28 (Thai Air would cost 140)
Bk/ Samui - Bangkok Air - 57 (pass)
Samui/BK - Bangkok Air - 49
Total 312
If you want to fly out of Chiang Mai directly to Samui then Bangkok Air has flights non stop on Tues/Thur/Sat leaving at 9.50 in the morning. Cost 122 but you could use the pass so it would only be 57. But you would have to get from CR to CM and spend the night.

Since you are planning to go at one of the busiest times you should get the tickets as soon as possible.
Aug 13th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I will contact Bangkok Air. I am in New York so they shouldn't be too hard to reach. I will definitely get a Discovery Pass for some of my journeys. It sounds like because I'm going during the busy season I am going to have start setting my intinerary in stone. Thanks very much, Jeff
Aug 13th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Good to know about this airpass..Next year we plan on doing BKK, Siem Reap, Koh Samui and possibly Chiang Mai..

How does it work??
Aug 13th, 2005, 08:28 AM

you call bkk air on their 800# and set up your flights based on the schedule on line....they tell you the price and you have to send them a check...no credit cards..

you have to take at least 3 legs...i.e. bk-cm, cm-bkk, trat-bkk to qualify for the pass...

legs are $50 for each domestic and $80 for most international (longer flights like to china cost more)....

after payment then they send tickets to you...

they are a fantastic operation...they own the airports in samui and trat and have exclusive use of them...
the have a lounge in each airport which has free internet and free, but limited snacks, newspapers, etc...no other airline offers that honestly...
Aug 13th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Great thanks..
Aug 13th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Yes the lounges at the 3 airports that Bangkok Air own are nice but you pay a price for them. Departure tax at Samui is 300 baht (used to be 400) and at Trait and Sukhothai 200. The normal tax at all other thailand airports is 50 baht.