Thai Air Domestic Pass

Search

Thai Air Domestic Pass

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thai Air Domestic Pass

I recently noticed on the Thai Airways site that you can purchase a 3 coupon airpass for domestic travel within Thailand when purchasing an international flight. They quote US$179 for this pass, but when they mention the Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Phuket-Bangkok route they say total cost US$210. Does anyone know why? We wish to travel BKK-CM-PHKT then out of Krabi back to Bangkok. This seems like three legs still - would it cost me US$179??? Do you prebook all the flights from home or arrange it later when in Thailand??n Travelling in June.

Anyone with info on this???

Cheers,

nzers
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:40 PM

i recently spoke to thai air in the usa...i was asking about the passes...the woman told me that often the passes are not worth it, that you can fly on regular tickets cheaper....in my case i was asking about a certain flight that goes bkk-cm-cr (chiang rai)-bkk...this flight has a 6 hour lay over in cm which particularily interested us for some pottery shopping...she quoted me $something like $124 rt for the whole thing as the regular price...she said see it is cheaper than the passes....

i always make my reservations before i leave home so as to not be disappointed with not getting the specific times i want...

you can deal with a bkk travel agent over the net and possibly save some money, although jamesA, our fodors resident expert, disagrees... i have saved money in the past using them....

have you also looked at bangkok air...they are a really nice airline...??
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:58 AM
brotherleelove2003

When making your plans keep in mind that you can't buy this Domestic Pass inside of Thailand, you must purchase it elsewhere.

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 10:30 AM

rhkkmk,

Thai web is offering 10% discount on domestic routes. The tickets have to be picked up from the originated city.

I need to book six round trip tickets BKK-HKT . But we won?t be in BKK until late November. I?d like to check with Thai Air US office to see the possibility that I can use this web discount offer and pick up my tickets in NY.

I?ve tried to call Thai Air NY office and I might have got a wrong number. The 212-265-6021 posted in their website was disconnected. I checked with telephone directory and called 212-265-6195 (nobody answered for a couple of days).

May I ask you which US office that you contacted? Would you give me their phone numbers? Thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 10:42 AM

The thing about this air pass is that $60 is B 2,400, and although sectors of 1 hr plus such as BKK-Chiang Mai or to Phuket Krabi are slightly more than B 2,400 ( e.g B 2,700 ) there are countless domestic sectors where the fare is 'less than B 2,400', e.g Phuket to Hat Yai 50mins is B 900, Bangkok to Phitsanulok ( 40km from Sukhotai ) is about B 1,600.
It only really works if doing the BKK-Chiang Mai-Phuket-Bangkok routing.

Phuket Air recently joined the Amadeus Reservation systems, they do BKK-Phuket, BKK-Krabi and also Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai routes so you might ask your agent to check them out, generally they are less than Thai but at the same time has far far less flights.
BKK-Krabi is now 2 x daily with Bangkok Airways who are also doing BKK-Phuket 4 x daily, worth checking.

Phuket Air operates 737-200s ( 1 is ex US Air Metro ) and Bangkok Airways operates new Boeing 717s.

Bangkok Airways code is 'PG', I will cherck Phuket Air code and let you know.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:34 PM

call 800 info and get the number...i did not keep it...
after the econ. troubles of the last few years i think thai air closed all its us offices except california....