Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

WARNING: Litang - female tourist attacked by Tibetan owners of guesthouse

Aug 12th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

During the horse racing festival in Litang, Sichuan, China, when rooms were tight and some guesthouse owners could only see money, a female tourist was locked up and beaten up for USD5, money she did not owe, by a Tibetan couple, owners of the guesthouse she stayed at.

AVOID IT: The guesthouse is on the corner of Ha Ge Jie (Ha Ge Street), 5-10 minutes' walk from the bus station towards the centre of the town. It is new, has about 10 rooms, a dorm at one end of the corridor and male and female toilets at the other end (no shower). It is on the second floor and downstairs are shops.

I honestly don't think anyone who stayed there was happy - the male Tibetan owner came around knocking on doors at 7:30am asking for money for the following day but locking up and beating up people was beyond our imagination. It turned out they weren't even licensed yet, much less to take foreigners. Accommodation to be avoided.
Aug 12th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Dispute between guests and hotel management are extremely common in China - in all kinds of establishments except foreign-run 4*-5* hotels. Happen all the time to my parents.

Always check everything in one's room when you first get in. Missing towels, dirty towels, broken light bulb, etc... Basically the hotel will charge you for every tiny thing they could, when you check out.

Well, you can pay the money, or you can argue forever, and sometimes the police has to be called, and sometimes there's violence. This is an extremely unpleasant fact of current-day Chinese travel. My suggestion is to pay up. [Or only stay at foreign-run 4*-5* hotels. If a town has no such facilites, don't go.]
Aug 12th, 2005, 02:05 PM

I'm in no position to suggest that Chinese hotels never screw their guests, but restricting oneself to foreign-run 4/5* hotels seems unduly cautious.

We stayed in Chinese-run 3* hotels (and one 4*) in several cities over 3 weeks and had one dispute, with a hotel in Zhouzhuang which wouldn't accept our prepaid voucher. It never occurred to us to inventory our rooms, and nobody ever sought to take advantage of us. Three of my kids have travelled extensively in China over the past two years, staying mostly in hostels and 2* hotels, and apart from an occasional crummy room or offhand service have had no problems worth speaking of.

dorothy12, did you speak to the victim of this assault? Was it reported to the police, and if so what action was taken?
Aug 12th, 2005, 08:59 PM

Well, I am not saying everybody should only stay with foreign-run 4* or 5* hotels. But those travellers who aren't willing to pay the ransom some hotels may charge, should really think twice before staying at anything else.

Always inventory everything. But sometimes, that may not help. For example, if the TV just happened to break while you're watching it, well you may be in trouble. Well, that may be uncommon, but light bulbs do expire sometimes. Expect to pay for it.

My point is that if they don't charge you, then fine. But if they do charge you, think ahead what you will do. Things like this do happen all the time at many many hotels in China.
Aug 13th, 2005, 11:10 PM

I once stayed at Beijing Yashan Hotel (4*). Upon checking out, I was told that I opened a small bottle of import whisky. I thought it was an honest mistake on the part of the floor attendant who chased me downstairs but the young man was so sure that he sneered at me.

Another time I was on a bus tour to the Great Wall when I got stopped near the entrance by a guy who picked up a cigarette butt from the ground and said it was mine. For that reason, he was to fine me 100 yuan. I told him I did not smoke but he went ahead to sniff my fingers and search my pockets for cigarettes. To his disappointment he found nothing but he stuck to his belief that I littered and therefore had to pay.

Mandarin Chinese is my native tongue.
Aug 14th, 2005, 12:12 AM

OK, I guess we got off lightly.