First-timer's off-beat suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from BKK, and wanted to add a few of things we stumbled across that haven't gotten much mention in this forum: Siam Society, on Asok just north of Sukhumvit and the Asok BTS, has a lovely little house and exhibit about the Lanna people (also nice coffee shop) -- if you are staying at JW Marriott, Landmark or the Sheraton Grande Sukh., it's a good first-day jet lagged stop. Suan Pakkad Palace's Lacquer House (near the Phaya Thai BTS stop) -- gorgeous. Food: Curries & More by Baan Karnitha (that's the whole name) is just south of B.K. on Ruam Rudi, near Ploenchit BTS stop -- VERY good food, reasonably priced, frequented by business and embassy people for lunch. I had a fish soup southern style (ie I had to say three times that yes I knew it would be hot and yes that was ok -- and it was, on both scores). I am now too tired to remember name - Guang Leung Pla Samlee, maybe?
Thanks guys for putting all your suggestions on this forum - it helped me a lot planning our trip!!
Lisa
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:39 PM

i prefer the baan khanitha location on soi 23, sukhumvit road....i totally disliked the other location...story is far to long to tell...
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:34 AM
CFW

Thanks, Lisa. Nice to hear about new experiences. Where else did you go/what did you do in Thailand? Other good restaurant recommendations?
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:37 AM

Lisa,
I just flew home on the 21st. Were we on the same plane? I flew BKK-NRT-ORD. Just curious.

Thanks for your suggestions for dining. We are always open to trying new places. I have to shy away from the really hot stuff though.

Carol
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:11 AM

Lisa, are you in Chicago?

I also recommend Siam Society and I especially recommend Prasart Museum. It was one of the highlights of my last trip and it was fabulous being someplace where we were the only two tourists. I don't know why it and Sian Society aren't gone to by more people.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:20 AM

And I agree, the Suan Pakkad Palace is such a little gem and so few people visit it.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your trip!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Gloria - Yes, I am in Chicago, near U of C...looks like several of you frequent posters are from this area!

As for Baan Karnitha, Bob, I was not referring to the Baan Karnitha on Ruam Rudi, but the completely separate restaurant just south, called "Curries & More." I never went to either parent restaurant.

Lisa, already pining for another trip
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM

Ya..... I've waned too post about Suan Pakkad Palace's Lacquer Hous.. (it's in my nighberhood).. but I figured no one would care since it's not verry touristy and I was the one that posted about it..lol
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:40 PM

i have been to suan packard twice and loved it....the relics are not of much interest to me but the pavillion is lovely and the grounds are nice...

has anyone been to the prasart museum??
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:15 AM
CFW

We've also been to Suan Packard. Lovely garden "oasis" in the midst of the city. In addition to the lacquer house, there is an interesting small museum that we enjoyed.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:56 AM

I also liked Suaan Pakkard but I liked Prasart even more.