Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Excess baggage on Thai Air - please help!!!

Notices

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just realized that we'll have over 20KG per person - not a problem with international flight, but will be taking 3 domestic flights on Thair Air.....
Couldnt find the charge for excess baggage....any experience with this? also, how strict are they with baggage???

thanks.....concerned traveller...leaving for thailand on saturday
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Lighten your load while in Thailand. You could leave some stuff at the left luggage counter at Bangkok airport. It is inexpensive and is in both international and domestic terminals.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM

gpanda reported recently that the problem with thai air was the weight per bag, not more than 70 lbs (?) per bag....they made them shift things around in nyc....domestic is not usually a problem..

when you see what some people check your bag will seem small...
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Bob, that's for international flights.

You have a couple of options:

1. As Mr. W says, you can leave luggage at the airport

2. If you are starting and ending your trip in Bangkok, you can leave luggage at your hotel

3. You can upgrade to Business class in Thailand. The extra charge for domestic flights is only about $20 a flight.

4. Look carefully at what you are taking with you. You can probably take much less with you. You want to have empty suitcase space to bring back your purchases!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:14 PM

If you're a silver or better member of any Star Alliance airline, then you get 30 kgs per person. They're generally lenient with baggage on domestic flights.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Michael - are you sure about that extra allowance - I'm silver with Thai and only get an extra 10kg per person (20Kg for Gold) and if I fly other Star Alliance airlines even the extra 10 on Silver doesn't seem to apply, only the gold allowance.

They have never seemed too fussed about anything a bit overweight on domestic - but thats usually only been maybe 5kgs max per person.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Michael - just reread you post - sorry - yes same thing - 30kg (or 10kg extra) for silver in economy. 10kg applies to each class so makes business 40kg.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, I'm not an Elite Member. I already purchased air from BKK to Chiang Mai and from CM to Phuket -- economy - would I be able to upgrade at the airport? Or should I call them for an upgrade?
From Phuket to BKK I was smart and booked business.
Trying to travel light but can never seem to be able to do it...unfortunately. If it's as hot as everyone says it is, then will need to change a few times a day
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:22 AM

On our first trip to Thailand, we flew 3 domestic Thai Air flights with enormous suitcases. Each was well over the domestic limit. Nothing was ever mentioned. Since then, we have been mindful of the domestic limit. Laundry is cheap. Take some stuff out.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:27 AM

We decide to fly thai business from Bangkok to CM to have a higher limit. The difference in the fare was minimal and it meant we didn't have to worry. Coming home I am sure I was over the limit but no one said anything.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. My husband is cursing me that I havent booked the business class right away.
What are the logistics of upgrading to business class right in the airport?

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:44 AM

You can always buy a business class upgrade in teh airport IF there is space. If I were you, I'd call Thai and upgrade your tickets now.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:58 AM

It's a hot climate...lightweight clothes don't take up that much space. Take fewer clothing items and have them laundered.For females, pack a couple of nice, long pieces of fabric and wrap them into sarongs. I wore a silk sarong to dinner at the Oriental...it takes up almost no space in the suitcase...so for the dressy clothes, I do sarongs and light tops...not bulky western-style clothing...and just accesorize. There are so many ways to cut down on luggage weight. Coming back from Bangkok, a few weeks ago, I had two regular-sized suitcases,one small carry-on suitcase, and then I had a carry-on bag custom made in BK. So, I was over the luggage allowance, but was allowed...to check in three suitcases...instead of the two... in Economy class...international. I just had to sign a waiver,stating that the airline wouldn't be responsible if the third suitcase were to get lost or damaged. I had bought quite a bit of stuff while in BK for three weeks...which is why I ended up with far more luggage than I usually would have. But, I was shopping for some specific things. But, leave for the trip with the suitcases mostly empty and then fill them up along the way. One of my suitcases was virtually empty when I left home for BK. So, if you're already starting with tons of stuff, you're going to have it really rough coming home. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Check TA's website. I believe it's 22 Kg for checked baggage and 10 Kg for a carry-on. Pretty generous. And, the agents were not scrupulous regarding weight limits.

Neither carry-on luggage nor backpacks (which were regarded as "personal items") were put on the scales.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Sorry, wrong on all weight counts. Here is the link:

http://www.thaiairways.com/Travel_De...ck_in_faqs.htm

However, they did not require that we check weights on carry-ons and backpacks.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Shopping tips, recommendations please!!! I am planning to travel alone to Bangkok, and am a 40 year old female. I lived in Bangkok as a child for 2 1/2 years, and have always wanted to go back. My mother discourages this as it will be so different, but I am drawn to it, can't seem to get Bangkok out of my head. I looked into the Davis Hotel, is this a good area for a single female traveler? Any suggestions, or helpful websites would be very welcome. Thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Do a search in this forum. A lot has been written on this topic of hotels and for women. You can click on my name and scroll down and I'm sure I've answered this question many times. As for the Davis, it's a bit far from the skytrain. It's at the end of a long street, not far from Emporium Mall at the Prom Phong skytrain station. Get a good map of Bangkok to familiarize yourself with the areas. Nancychandler.net has a good map of Bangkok. They are also sold, in the States, in travel stores. I'm female and have been traveling alone for three decades and have had no major problems and as for Bangkok, I go there once or twice a year on vacation and have had no major problems. What is your budget for accomodations? I totally don't understand why you think Bangkok will be so difficult. I find it a lot easier than many places I've been in the three decades of vacations to Europe. I prefer Bangkok over a lot of other places. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM

I agree with Guenmai. Bangkok (and Thailand in general) is easy travel. The infrastructure is good, and almost everyone you have contact with will speak some English.

The Davis looks lovely, but I really don't like the location. I'd recommend someplace on the river or else someplace on the central shopping area, such as the Four Seasons or the Hyatt. The river is my favorite. I've been traveling to Bangkok for over 20 years and I always stay on the river.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Thank you very much for the replies. I should have elaborated a bit in my first post. I will be starting my journey in Boston, with the long flights, and anticipated jet lag, plus the fact that I may not get the opportunity to go again, I would like to visit for 3 weeks, a nice leisurely trip. I would like to visit the house that we lived in, and two very old hotels (visit not stay at), the Fortuna, and the Miami which were our incoming and outgoing "homes" while we awaited permanent housing and departure. I would like to get in as much as possible on this visit, and am very excited. Aside from the airfare, I have allocated $5000 for the trip. I really don't want to stay in a very American type hotel, or resort, I've been in too many of them. Guenmai, I am not worried about the trip being difficult, I would just like to get the most out of it. Thank you again for the responses, and I hope my budget, and length of stay will help with any suggestions you have.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:16 AM

For $5000 for three weeks, you'll be able to live in the lap of luxury and buy so much stuff you'll have to pay excess baggage charges! I'd highly recommend that you stay along the river for at least part of your stay.