Search

Thai Air baggage limits with dive gear.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thai Air baggage limits with dive gear.

Does anyone have first hand, recent information regarding baggage limits on Thai Air? We will fly NW from the States to BKK in business class and then continue on to Phuket, Chaing Rai on Thai Air. The NW International business class allowance is 3 checked bags with a 70# weight limit on each and two carry on pieces. Thai Air has a restriction of (it appears) <u>one</u> 70# checked piece of luggage and one carry on for all classes. Do you know if we will be allowed more since we will have International tickets in our possession? I'm pretty sure we can make do with two checked pieces, but we'll also have dive bags along. Wonder if dive bags count differently? On some airlines they do not count against your free luggage allowance. Any info is helpful. Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:01 PM

We flew to BKK from the US with our dive gear and it counted as our regular bags. That was 2 years ago, so it might of changed. Since the TH flights will be domestic, I think you will have to stick with the 70# limit. Will you fly from Phuket to CR or back thru BKK? While you are in Phuket can you leave some of your bags at the hotel or the airport? Will you need everything while you are diving?
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM

There is NO limit on the NUMBER of bags you can check on Thai Air (or most other airlines outside of the US). The total 'free' weight is 30 kg (about 70 pounds) per person.

On domestic flights, you may be able to go over the limit without charge, but there are no guarantees.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:17 PM

also an upgrade to business class on thai is quite cheap and that might help with your luggage situation....
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM

The weight limit for luggage on Thai for the domestic flight is 20 kg. If you're a Thai(or Star Alliance) frequent flyer of silver status or higher you'll be given 10 kg more (20 kg more if you're a gold). If you upgrade to business then it's another 10 kg. So the maximum possible luggage weight without penalty charges is 40 kg.

Another way you can get around this is to check your luggage from the States all the way to Phuket (custom clearance in Phuket). If you can do this then for the domestic Thai flight they will apply the US luggage rules(2 piece + system).

I should also point out that Thai have a very cheap domestic air freight rate as well.

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:48 PM
TC
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, friends. Michael, I'm still confused by your remarks -- are you saying that we can check any number of bags as long as we pay an overage fee? We will be stopping in BKK for 6 days prior to continuing on to Phuket. It is in Phuket that we will need all the dive, fishing, sailing gear etc. From Phuket we fly back through BKK and will drop quite a bit of luggage at the hotel prior to traveling on to Chiang Rai and return. Not sure if any of that helps the situation. We don't mind paying for overage if that's an option -- and its not a total fortune.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM

I think what Michael is trying to say is that if your flying to or from the US the airlines will use a piece system for your luggage allowance. Out side of the US most airlines will use the weight system, meaning the total weight of all your check in luggage should not exceed ##kg otherwise you will be subject to overweight charges.

For fishing and diving in Thailand I normally send my gear by airfreight and I can even designate the flight I want my stuff to be on, usually the same flight that I'm flying on. There's a base charge of 120 Baht and from there it's 20 Baht per kilo and the more you send the cheaper per kilo it gets(goes down to 15 Baht per kilo).

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 10:50 PM

Just to elaborate, the US is the only place I know that counts the number of pieces you check, and places limits on it. Outside the US, airlines are just concerned about the total weight, which is what costs money (fuel). You can check 20 1kg bags if you want to.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM

According to thaiairways.com

<b>How much luggage am I allowed to check?</b>

The luggage allowance for Royal First Class is 40 kg. (88 lbs.); for Royal Executive Class passengers: 30 kg. (66 lbs.); and for Economy Class passengers: 20 kg. (44 lb.).
Royal Orchid Plus Gold Card members are entitled to check an additional 20 kg. (44 lbs.). Royal Orchid Plus Silver Card members can check an additional 10 kg. (22 lbs.) of luggage.
Infants (not occupying a seat) are allowed 10 kg. (22 lbs.) excluding one fully-collapsible child stroller, pushchair, or infant-carrying basket.
For travel To/from Canada and the U.S.A., the following regulations apply:
Passengers in all classes of service, from First to Economy, are allowed two pieces of luggage. The sum of the three dimensions (length + height + width) for each piece cannot exceed 158 cm. (62 inches) and the weight of each piece cannot exceed 32 kgs. (70 lbs).
A Child (2-12 years) occupying a seat is entitled to the same free luggage allowance as an adult passenger.
An Infant (not occupying a seat) is entitled to one piece of checked luggage, the sum of whose three dimensions does not exceed 115 cm. (45 inches), plus one fully-collapsible child stroller or pushchair or infant-carrying basket.

<b>How many pieces of carry-on luggage am I allowed?</b>

Each passengers may hand-carry one piece luggage the sum of whose dimensions (length+ height + width) does not exceed 115 cm. ( 56 + 46 + 25 cm) (44.85 inches, i.e. 21.5 x 18 x 9.75 inches) and which does not weigh more than seven kg. (15.4 lbs). Pieces exceeding these dimensions must be checked in at the Check-in counter prior to departure. A woman is allowed to carry a purse as well.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:57 AM
TC
Original Poster

Again, thank you all. I had both read and printed the luggage allowence page from Thai Air web site before posting, but felt the information required some elaboration for my purposes. I never want to misuse the kindness of the posters on this board with frivolous questions.

Overlapping US flight regulations with International regulations, US based airline policy with foreign based airline policy is all so confusing at times. I guess it comes down to the &quot;lowest common denominator&quot; as they say. I shall try to contact Thai Air to find out if we fall into the <i>domestic</i> (20kg) catagory or the <i> &quot;travel to/from Canada and the USA 2 pieces at 32kg each&quot;</i> catagory. If we can, in fact, take 2 pieces with a total of 64kg (140#) plus one carry-on, we will have no problem. I'll let you know if I get a definative response.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 06:09 AM

TC, if you have a through ticket to Phuket from your US/Canada starting point, the international rules apply. That is, if the first leg of your travel is from, say, New York to Phuket via Bangkok, international rules apply (and your luggage would be checked through to Phuket when you check in at the airport in New York). If you are flying from say, New York to Bangkok, staying a while, then have a ticket to Phuket, domestic rules apply. In any case, your flight from Phuket back to Bangkok will apply domestic rules.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 06:32 AM
TC
Original Poster

Hi Kathy, Well, if that's the case -- we're in a world of trouble. One piece of luggage at 44# just won't quite cut it for this month long trip. I've tried in vain to secure the overage charges from TA. Web site states that the fees are available from their world headquarters, but the WH doesn't answer phone calls. Does anyone know how much is charged for TA baggage excess?
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Ok friend I just call the 24 hr TG hot line for you(I was curious too). Thai will charge you 45 Baht per Kg over the weight limit. You can save a bundle by sending you excess air freight - as per my earlier email.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:18 AM
TC
Original Poster

Hanuman, You are a STAR! I've still on hold with TA. How do I go about checking my luggage as &quot;freight&quot;? Does it go on the same plane as we are flying? The guys are pretty reluctant to let their dive gear get too far out of their control.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM

I live in Thailand so no problem for me to call TG. For the domestic Thai freight you'll have to go to their freight centre at either Suvarnaphumi or Don Meaung airport, depend where you're flying from, at least 2 hours before the flight you want it to go on depart. Weight the luggage, specify the flight you want it to go on and pay. You'll be given an invoice or an airway bill and upon landing in Phuket just ask the TG ground staff where to pick up your freight. It shouldn't take long about 1/2 hour after the flight land at the most.

You know you could always rent your BCD, reg, mask and fins in Phuket. As for the fishing.. that's my hobby, big game saltwater fishing, so if you have any question just ask away!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:50 AM
TC
Original Poster

FINALLY....someone answered at ThaiAir. She didn't seem to have a definative answer to my question - after I waited 45 minutes on hold -- but said (descreetely) that it is &quot;at the descretion of the check-in agent in BKK&quot; and suggested we speak with them. I felt she might just be passing the buck. Technically, however, we are considered &quot;domestic&quot; passengers because we stop in BKK for a few days prior to going on to Phuket which limits us to the 20kg (44#) restriction. The overage is charged (according to the agent) at 1.5% of the standard one-way fare BKK-PHU (in this case the fare is $94). By her calculations its about $1.41 per kg for overage. That could be substantial for us.

Now I really need to know about using the freight alternative!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM
TC
Original Poster

Looks like we're posting at the same time. I'm sure the guys would love to correspond regarding fishing. Drop me an email at [email protected]

As for the rest, we will be in Thailand for more than a month and I don't know how on earth we'll get all our stuff down to 44#!

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 11:14 AM
TC
Original Poster

See..here's the problem. Now I've recieved an email response from Thai Air to this same question (question sent weeks ago). In it someone says that excess luggage is accessed at $109 USD per bag. What's a girl to believe?
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:01 PM

$109 sounds right for the Thai airways US flights. Normally they allow 2 check in luggage in economy so if you want to check in an extra piece that is what they will charge. For the domestic and non US flights it's a totally different rate.

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:43 PM

TC,

I've sent you a couple of mails re fishing and freight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -