Restaurants in Hanoi

Search

Restaurants in Hanoi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Hanoi

Little Hanoi: This famed restaurant in the Old Quarter has excellent Vietnamese Food. The original Little Hanoi has expanded into a space across the street and upstairs on Pho Ta Hien. There is another place called Little Hanoi that has no relation to the original. It is closer to the lake, and is a sort of deli/juice bar place.

Le Brick: A very pleasant place on the street near the cathedral. We ate Vietnamese food, which was very good, but they also have such lunch fare as filled baguettes. The atmosphere is nice, quiet (for Hanoi), with wicker furniture, exposed brick walls and overhead fans turning slowly.

Diva: You can choose courtyard or indoor seating for another pleasant casual dining experience. The Vietnamese food was very good.

Koto: This is a nice spot to have lunch near the Temple of Literature and Craftlink. It is a training program for street kids. The fare is multi-ethnic and is quite good, as is the service. The upstairs is non smoking, a real novelty in Hanoi.

Cau Cay: Located in the DeSyloia Hotel, this is a lovely little restaurant with indoor (two floors) or outdoor seating. The small dining spaces are cozy and service is very good. The food is also very good, with a good variety of Vietnamese dishes. They also have French food, but we didn?t try that.

Brothers Café: This wonderful spot has everything going for it: great atmosphere and wonderful food, attentive service. It?s located in the courtyard of an old monastery, with spreading old trees. They have a great buffet, with pho stands and a chef grilling seafood and meats to your order, as well as a good variety of traditional Vietnamese hot and cold dishes. The dinner price is US$10 per person, and they do not take credit cards. This may be the best dining value in Hanoi!

Seasons of Hanoi: Located in a lovely old French mansion, the atmosphere and is better than the food. The food was good, but was not special, especially for the price (about US$50 for two for dinner). The service is not as attentive as it should be.

Emperor: Another courtyard dining experience, the atmosphere of the lovely courtyard and the traditional Vietnamese music was better than the inconsistent food. We had a couple of dishes that were really excellent, like the sea bass with five fruits, but many of the dishes were mediocre. Expensive enough that you expect more consistency (US$50 for two for dinner). Despite the fact that we ate outdoors, it was the smokiest venue in which we dined. Everyone (mostly locals) at all of the other outdoor tables was smoking. They also had the most uncomfortable chairs of any place we dined!

Club L?Opera; This is a wonderful, white-tablecloth dining experience. The food was consistently excellent as was the service. It?s considered expensive for Hanoi, US$60 for two for dinner. Located across the street from the Sofitel.

Bobby Chinn: This is a modern, Asian Fusion Cuisine place, with lovely modern décor and the tables set far apart for a feeling of privacy and quiet. All of the food was ecxellent, but it was more expensive than any other place we ate in Hanoi. Still quite reasonably priced by international standards for an excellent dinner, about US$75 for two. It is located by the Lake.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

topping for SA

note that dinner prices for Seasons, Emperor, Seasons, Club L'Opera and Bobby Chinn's include a bottle of nice French wine. Without wine, the prices would be about US$25 less.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Kathie didnt mention Cha Ca Le Vong. This was the most unique dining experience we had in Hanoi. No white table cloths, no cloth napkins; no menu even. The only choice is what to drink -soft. Little fish sticks are brought to the table in a brazier, accompanied by many bowls of additions. What fun. And the meal for two was less than $10US.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 04:23 PM

When I was at Cha Ca Va Long I'm pretty sure they had cold beer as well as soft drinks. Whatever, I endorse twoaussies' recommendation. The dish they serve is called Cha Ca, and the only Asian dish I know of that uses fresh dill. We enjoyed it so much that I was inspired to cook my own version (there are recipes on the Web). And the restaurant is on Cha Ca Street; I was told that the French colonists were responsible for that - they wanted the place to be a easily located as possible.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:53 PM

We love Cafe Au Lac 57 Pho Ly Thai To. It is behind the Sofitel Metropole and has great local & western food, wine & beer and wonderful deserts. Never spent more than US10 for lunch for 2 and US20 for dinner for 2 inc drinks. Lovely little garden & lots of stylish locals & expats! My favourite coffee shop is Highland Coffee near Fanny's icecream opp side of Hoan Kiem Lake to Metropole. Highland is on top storey of a hotel building! Fab views of Hanoi & delish food & coffee!!! Mouth is watering, AGAIN!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Lyndie, I also enjoyed the floor show at the Cafe au Lac - if you look across the street you get a good view of the Sofitel's guests sweating away in the hotel's gym while you scoff your dessert.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:11 PM

Neil, Hi. You've jogged my memory! Pardon the pun! I spent a lot of time in the Sofitel's lolly shop-oh their candies were delightful! Stuff the huffing and puffing I say!!!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

topping for another person looking for Hanoi restaurants.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM

All these postings (with their excellent suggestions) make me want to return to Hanoi!!
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM

any dietary concerns for a pregnant vegetarian??? my daughter continues to worry about food in hanoi...
i will forward this thread to her with all your suggestions....

thank you vietman fodorites....
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Also, Indochine was a great dining experience. Very good food in a lovely colonial setting.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Divediva, I think your daughter will have lots of tasty options to choose from. Given her condition, I'd stick with the more upmarlet places. I found the standards of cleanliness to be good at the places I listed.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 04:51 PM

It seems like everyone here has had wonderful dining experiences in Hanoi. If you had to recommend a place to go for New Years Eve this year, a place that would be hoping and fun with great food, what would you recommend?
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:11 AM

update October 2005

we have had excellent food while in hanoi. the most expensive meal we've had was at Le Cyclo...stylish cyclo tables with upscale food..for 2people with no alcohol...about $16.

tamarind cafe...quite good and inexpensive was also high on our list

our favorite place is a hole in the wall down the street from our hotel across from the Prince 53 hotel cafe...
with soft drinks, dinner for 2 $6...we had 3 dinners or lunches there and will miss it when we depart for bangkok tomorrow.

bon appetit...
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Little Hanoi on Pho Ta Hien already mentioned above. We ordered carmelized beef spring rolls and grilled eggplant which tasted great!

Chum Soa Restaurant, 65 Ngo Hue. It's on the street of Ngo Hue but actually it's on an alley off Ngo Hue. It's upstairs and you sit on the floor.
Lot's of locals. Ordered spring roll, rice cake with shellfish, pork sparerib, carmelized fish, beer and a watermelon drink. Cost about $15.

The two restaurants above were recommended by someone we met in Sapa who is a volunteer school teacher who lives in Hanoi for the past two years.
She recommended what to order at Little Hanoi and said anything is good at Chum Soa.

Quan An Ngon, 18 Phan Boi Chau, Hanoi
"Quan An Ngon got started in HCM City five years ago, and judging by the lunch and evening crowds, its new Ha Noi branch seems to be as popular as its southern predecessor. The concept was to assemble the ‘best of street food’ in a setting more conducive to enjoying smart lunches and sultry evening meals. Experienced food-vendors were transplanted from Ha Noi streetsides into a gentrified version of a bustling food market, dressed up in tunics, and stationed at rustic stalls around the perimeter of a large courtyard. Guests dine in the lush courtyard among potted trees under a large canvas marquis, or in one of the large dining rooms or on the balcony in the spacious adjoining villa," writes Johny Shaw in The Vietnam News.

Guan An Ngon is located a block away from the Ipa Nema purse boutique. Go early for lunch or dinner as it gets very crowded.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Hoa Sua:
http://www.hoasuaschool.com/index.htm
Had the set menu for lunch. It's walking distance from the Old Quarter but recommend take a taxi to help you find it first.