Restaurants in Hue/Hanoi

Aug 8th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Restaurants in Hue/Hanoi

I have booked a trip to Vietnam at the end of the year. Whilst away it will be a "milestone" birthday for my wife(i.e. one ending in a zero!). We will be in Hue at on the actual day (staying at the Saigon Morin). Can anyone one recommend a restaurant for a special occasion? The reviews I have read on Hue's restaurants have not been particularly good. Would it be better to wait until Hanoi? If so, any recommendations for restaurants there would be appreciated
Aug 8th, 2005, 02:40 PM

We were in Hanoi last October. My favorite restaurant was Emperor- it's a villa, absolutely gorgeous, and the food was wonderful.
The restaurant is very elegant.
Aug 8th, 2005, 02:55 PM

crellston, whatever you do, don't eat at the "French" restaurant in the Morin, that was the worst meal we had in Vietnam - tasteless, greasy, tough duck. Am sure there's better places in Hue to eat, but for a special meal you'll have more choice in Hanoi. The best food we found in Vietnam was in Hoi An and Ho Chi Minh city.
Aug 8th, 2005, 02:56 PM

I did a long report on Hanoi restaurants a year and a half ago. I'll look for it and top it for you. Note that the prices I quote include a bottle of wine unless otherwise noted.

The Emperor was beautiful (though we found the food inconsistent), but we really loved its sister restaurant, L'Opera.

Best all arounf value: Brother's Cafe, located in the courtyard of an old monastery.
Aug 8th, 2005, 08:07 PM

Pat, I agree with your comments about the Morin. None of their restaurants had nice food which was not helped by the staff were seemed to be very bored and not really interested in looking after the customers. Perhaps that is because there were no customers except for ourselves on two evenings. There is a really nice restaurant with much coloured lighting opposite in the park and next to the river. It was well patronised and after a few meald including Peking duck,roastpork etc plus beer the bill came to $7 aussi. Regards Dennis
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:11 PM

It's been several years since I've been in Hue so maybe someone could tell me if this restaurant still exists. It was inside the walls of the citadel, with a lovely shaded courtyard. Absolutely the best Vietnamese food I had ever! We ended up there through a misunderstanding with our pedicab drivers and went back several times.