Dress code for temples in Myanmar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting to pack for our trip in two weeks! We will be in Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake. Will we be able to wear shorts around town? How about visiting the temples? Are long pants a must in all these areas. We've heard that for visiting Mt. Popa, you have to climb the steps barefoot, I think we are striking that off our list, but what about the other temples and tourist site?
Thanks,
Carl
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 06:50 PM

You must remove your shoes to enter all temples. The local people are very polite and will not tell you you are dressed inappropriately except to tell you to take your shoes off to enter temples and to cover your shoulders. In the past, shorts were never seen, but with the opening up of the country to package tourists, no doubt you will see some shorts.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 07:36 PM

Not only do you have to remove your shoes, but you cannot wear socks in the temples either. Barefoot --but it isn't a big deal. I recommend sandals or other shoes that slip on and off easily. You will get tired of tying shoes pretty quickly. I also did not see many people wearing shorts. For women, typically capri pants seemed to be widely worn by tourists. Men wore light weight long pants. Shoulders should be covered - T shirts are fine. Wear a hat because the sun can be brutal.
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 06:36 AM

Dress-wise, carl170, just keep clothes below your elbows and below your knees, lightweight, no sweat. Sandals or thongs on your feet, easy to remove, stick them in your back pockets or if you're a woman stick them in your shoulder bag, or a plastic bag you might take along for essentials like a water bottle or other stuff.

Other people on this site will tell you to be devout about your footwear, but the best tip in Buddhist and Muslim places is to wear thongs and put them down the back of your shorts or trousers when you take them off. The locals never take offence if they're not on your feet in a supposedly holy place (however, shoes are OK in Christian holy places,,,).
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 07:01 AM

I always just left my flip-flops outside the temples. I never worried about them being taken by someone. You can certainly carry them along if it makes you feel better.
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 08:55 PM

I wore both long light weight pants and also a long flowey skirt. Just so you're covered and modest. 3/4 sleeves are fine.