Another clothing/shoe etiquette post

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read so many previous posts on this subject (and checked guide books) that my head is spinning. I am in packing mode (leaving in 3 weeks) so your advice will be very helpful as to what we do/don't bring.

My DH and I want to be respectful to the Thai people, but we visit in April (HOT!) so we also want to be as comfortable as possible.

Here is a little background:
1st trip to Asia/Thailand, visiting Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket, couple in our 30s, we dress conservatively.

Here are my questions:
1) Other than the Grand Palace complex, can you wear flip flops or sandals WITHOUT a back strap to other wats? (men and women) I gather you take them off before entering, but the GP complex rules made me wonder if we will encounter any problems.

2) As for nice dinners, is it acceptable to wear capris (all below the knee/mid-calf length)? Don't know what they call it for men (extra long shorts?) but his are a few inches below the knee too.

3) Last, but not least, please help me decide what kind and how many shoes to bring, plus your thoughts on wearing socks in the heat. (I can't believe I'm asking this, but I've learned so much from this board and I value your advice and experience - esp. since I am tall and wear a larger shoe size which might be hard to find in Asia.)

Our trip is 2 wks long and I love to walk. I was thinking of bringing 3 pairs: (1) sandals, (2) closed toe walking shoes/tennis shoes, plus flip flops for the beach.

The last thing I want is for my feet to hurt which will make the rest of the trip miserable for me. I plan to wear capris and long skirts most days, so wearing socks might look funny (I know I will scream tourist, but I still care how I look)

Sandals: I've decided against bringing my Teva's since I want something a little less rugged that I can go anywhere in -except the GP. Any suggestions (brand/styles) welcome.

Walking Shoes: Just bought my 1st pair of Ecco's (Mary Janes and very comfy). For the second pair I'm debating btwn a lightweight tennis shoe or another casual Mary Jane (Naturlizer leather/mesh). Both casual shoes are cut too low to wear socks or it would look very strange, but they have soft insoles so if my feet sweat they (hopefully) won't create blisters. Is it better to bring a lightweight tennis shoe that can be worn with socks? Brand ideas?

Ladies- hopefully you understand my dilemma. Please help (of course men too, but just most closed toe men's shoes are cut high enough to wear socks and it's usually a no-brainer)
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM

The most restrictive dress code is at the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha complex. AT other wats you are free to wear flip flops or whatever and yes, you take them off before entering the wat itself.

Most places you'll be fine in capris, but there are restaurants with dress codes. For instance the SkyBar requires no sandals, and as I understand it, capris for men or women would not be acceptable. The restaurants at the Oriental would not allow capris.

Shoes: I usually take a flip flop that has good walking support (Tevas or the Earthshoe flip flop). I think sock and running shoes are way too hot. Take a look at Keens. They have a shoe that has ventilation that does not require socks. Something like that would be practical. I find I can do lots of walking in my sandals as long as I choose ones that are meant for walking. Last trip, I took the flip flops listed above and a Keen sandal. I also took the more shoe-like Keen, but used it only in Sri Lanka.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:54 PM
jgg

I am busily packing as we leave in 9 days!! Are you not allowed to wear sandals without a back to GP?? I don't recall reading that.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM

I wore my Teva's every day for 3 weeks in Cambodia/Thailand. I took a pair of Mephisto walking shoes that I didn't wear at all, and a pair of Clarks tennie style brown/pink. That I wore I thing twice just for a change.

It's hot and you wont regret the Teva's as long as you find them comfy.

If your casual shoes are low, just go to a sporting goods store and buy some low running socks. They work fine and are pretty cushiony.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM

my wife has worn only a pair of tevias on our last two trips....she has some "dressy" ones....style: ventura cork...

she also takes one pair of dress sandals or buys some crazy ones in thailand...nothing else...

we think tennis shoes or sneakers are way tooooo hot to wear...

i wear sandals or leather shoes....

not sure you would be happy with flip flops in bkk....streets can be dirty and so are many of the boat piers....wet and dirty...

we often wear lite cotton socks...or ankle socks...

my wife no longer takes a dress or skirt....capris or long slacks only: cotton or linen

she also takes a scarf to put around her shouders should she need it for a/c or in wats...
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Technically, sandals without a heel strap are a no-no at the GP/EB. There is some room for interpretation, and if you are well-dressed and the sandals look nice, you may get by with it. But the pictures at the entrance clearly indicate that sandals must have a heel strap. They also clearly indicate that capris are not allowed, but again, some people report being allowed in.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

I truly appreciate all of your feedback.

Ankle socks just don't work with the shoes I have -they are low cut mary jane's so they really look silly (I tried).

I would prefer not to even wear socks so my feet can breathe. I was just curious if anyone had problems with blisters due to not wearing socks.

I am going to look into some walking sandals that I can also wear to nice restaurants. My Teva's are not as fancy, but could be a back up in case I can't find anything.

Any other brand name/style suggestions other than Teva/Keen?
Thanks again!

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

One more question on Teva's. Can you wear them to the GP complex (the traditional style with a heel strap)? I thought I had read that they were not allowed, but since so many of you wear them in your travels maybe I misunderstood. I have the basic nylon ones -nothing fancy, but not a flip flop.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:57 PM

You can wear Tevas with heel straps at the Grand Palace complex.

But you can wear more dressy sandals or clogs that lack a heel strap. Go figure.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Just visited 3 temples this past Saturday. I wore a nice comfy leather slip on (thong style) with Japanese tabi (the socks with the big toe separated. They kept my feet covered, enabled me to step on the bare floor without having to look down with every step I took & was able to toss it at the end of the day.

KT & Kids wore lite shoes with socks on. I made sure the girls were wearing light fabric pants & nice T shirts. No problem at all.

I saw them turn away a few people- some Indians wearing their shorter style saris & some older Indian lady with her belly quite exposed.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:35 PM

kim---guess what no one will be looking at your feet....wear what ever you want except at the GP...

the fashion police are on vacation outside thailand
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob - you are right, I am overthinking it a bit.

I truly appreciate everyone's feedback. It has been very helpful.
I am so excited to visit Thailand!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM

Kim, I can mail you those tabis- I have a lot from our trips to Japanese inns. They give them out for free. I love them but the kids never use theirs.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

bmttokyo-that is a very thoughtful offer, but I am not a big sock person when it's that hot. I'd much prefer to wear shoes that don't require socks. Thank you very much. You are very kind.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Is it just the shoulders that need to be covered (like in churches in Europe)or does the entire the arm need to be covered at the Grand Palace? Is it OK to wear a short sleved shirt at the Grand Palace?
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM

A short-sleeved shirt is fine at the Grand Palace. Someone once asked about cap sleeves, and I don't know the answer to that.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 04:00 PM

I feel obligated to respond because my teen sons and I were both cited for wardrobe violations at the Grand Palace (I wore capris and my sons wore basketball shorts.) We had to rent cool Asian-looking outfits that photographed well - I have received so many compliments about the sarong in my photos that I am sorry I didn't purchase one. The fashion police did not make us feel embarrassed or disrespectful. We actually had a few good laughs with them because they considered my capris borderline.

As far shoe regulations, I wore strapless sandals during that same visit and nobody mentioned anything about them being inappropriate.

No issues with capris, sandals or shorts at any other wats, including in Cambodia and Myanmar.

Shoes: I would suggest packing 1 pair Keens (which are more rugged than Tevas and will substitute for sneakers, unless you plan to play tennis), one pair comfortable dressy sandals and one pair flip-flops for the beach. No socks. And..In case you tire of your shoe wardrobe, there is no shortage of footwear in Thailand.

Kathie, I wore capris and sandals to the restaurant at the Oriental without incident. Nobody said anything and I did not feel underdressed. In fact, I can't imagine feeling underdressed anywhere in Thailand.

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 04:12 PM
jgg

crosscheck - so glad to "see" you on this thread. Your trip report was the first one I read when starting to plan our trip last year, and now we leave in 3 days!!

I have another shoe question for you. What type do you think are best to wear when riding the elephants at Anantara GT? KimJapan mentioned to me that they threw their shoes away after doing the 3-day mahout training. We will only be doing the 1-day. I was thinking of my tevas, but frankly hate wearing them so wouldn't any other time and hate to bring them just for one occasion. Could I find cheap shoes to buy in BKK and then get rid of if they get ruined or just bring the tevas?

Also, my 12 yo son and 15 yo daughter will be with us. Would your sons have been okay at GP if wearing khaki shorts as opposed to basketball shorts or should i just have him wear long pants?
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM

jgg,
Glad to know I still have fans! Recently I have been away from Fodor's, lurking on College Confidential, planning an insane spring break college tour. I came back here because the anxiety level on that site was driving me crazy (and I'm dreaming of India or Luang Prabang).

I'm so envious of your trip - You are going to have a blast! I think you would be better off in closed shoes on the elephant because it is somewhat like horseback riding. They might even have shoe regulations. Your idea of buying cheap sneakers in BKK is brilliant. There are more sneakers in the MBK mall than I have seen anywhere in my life, except in Tokyo, and your kids will have fun checking out the fashion-forward styles and knock-offs. (But please don't take that as a recommendation for MBK; I'm sure there are less-overwhelming places to buy sneakers.)

Not sure about khakis vs. basketball shorts. I would guess that the GPFP objected to length, rather than fabric. I would suggest khaki convertible pants/shorts because you'll need long pants for the elephants as well.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM

Hi, crosscheck, it's so good to see you here again!

I'm interested that you were ok'ed at the Oriental with capris... this is one of those ever-changing standards. The Oriental is renowned for forbidding people in shorts, and I heard from someone they were not allowed in wearing capris last year. Perhaps they are as capricious about their dress code as the GP/EB.
;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -