Do the Bringing Liquids on the Flight Rules Apply: BKK-YGN, BKK-JFK on Thai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that we will not be able to bring liquids on our outgoing flight to Bangkok from JFK (New York City). However, I was wondering if any of the restrictions apply in SE Asia, particularly on our flights from Bangkok to Yangon and our flight home from Bangkok to JFK. Also does anyone know if there are any restrictions on what you can carry on for internal flights in Myanmar? My concern is that if we purchase a bottle of wine or spirits and fail to finish it at one destination, will we be able to carry on a half-open bottle en route to our next destination? We have never had a problem doing this in the past.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:14 AM

It's never been a problem before now as you say, but these things change frequently these days. What I CAN tell you however is that there was no problem doing exactly what you ask about on an internal flight from Bangkok just a few days ago.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:27 AM

Craig-when we flew BKK-JFK in December, we could not bring liquids on the flight. There's a separate security line for this flight after you clear the usual security. Therefore, you cannot buy water after clearing security and take it on the flight. They did provide a bottle of water in every seat, once we got on the plane.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM

We just came back from Vietnam to the US via Seoul. They were making announcements about the fact that those travelling to the US could not bring liquids or gels. They made me toss my water bottle at the security line when our flight arrived in Seoul from Hanoi. I was kind of annoyed because we had a 6 hour layover there before departing for the US.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM

I was going to say that the rules only applied to the flights arriving in/departing from the US Then I remembered having a pretty through search in BKK, even though I was flying via Narita.

No problems with flights to/from Myanmar though.

Bon Voyage!!!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 06:26 PM

when we flew delhi to bkk (thai air), water was allowed by my french wine was taken, but not until after a scene was created (ask me at lunch)....

on air france there was not problem except bos to paris and paris to boston...but european rules changed in december to clamp down a bit...

some places allow liquids purchased inside security to be taken...i would not plan on any liquids....seems like the planes are now overstocked with water, etc....in business it should be no problem...just cash in some bonds to pay for it...
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM

Can't help you Craig - we took 6 bottles of red wine to Burma but we never had a half opened bottle left to carry on the plane : )
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:09 AM

Regarding liquids and gels; How about the 3 oz or less rule all stuffed in one quart baggie? Does that still apply? Or is there no liquid at all on JFK to BKK?
I also have prescription meds to take and an epi pen. How much hassle will this be? Should I consider putting it in suitcase to avoid airport hassle?
I might add, I'm allergic to so much, the reason I carry shampoo soap etc is because its hypoallergenic stuff. This might be the trip I hope my luggage arrives and pack it inside. Any advice fodorites?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:31 AM

BKK - YGN we carried all the toothpaste, shampoos etc on our carry on as well as wine and champagne. For the domestic flights in Myanmar security was quite relaxed but we did not carry any half open bottle of wines(manage to finish them all!) and such but we did carry half full water bottles. I seriously don't think that you will have a problem inside Myanmar with airport security which I found to be a joke in comparison to the States.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:45 AM

jodo, when I flew in November, you could have three oz (each) of various things in a ziplock. I carried a few "necessities" in this way. It was no problem at all. The security people all asked if I had anything and when I pulled out the ziplock, they nodded and sent me through. I carried my larger sizes of things packed in my checked luggage.

As you know, the regulations change regulary, so read the airline's website and be prepared to make last minute changes if called for at the check-in counter.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:48 AM

thanks, Kathie.