Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Can we make the 8 am flight to SR with only 1.5 hr layover in BKK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to BKK in Jan, and DH wants to make a quick detour to the Angkor Wat.
We will arrive in BKK airport at 6:20 AM (from the East coast), and the morning flights to SR are: 8 AM or 11:30 AM.
Ideally, we would like to get on the next available flight possible, but the 8 am seems to be really tight. And the 11:30 seems to be a really long layover

We plan on going on the same day (on arrival) to avoid going back/forth from/to the airport in BKK.

Has anyone done this or similar trip before?
Any advise? TIA!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 01:44 PM

If you can get your bags checked through to Siem Reap, your chances are probably good. Transiting passengers can go directly to their gate. You'll have to check with your airline though to see if they can do that for you.

Where does your flight to Bangkok originate from? - I'm betting it doesn't originate from the east coast (US, Canada, Australia?) My experience has been that most international flights within Asia to Bangkok have been on time.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:22 PM

Its doable IF, your plane arrives on time tetc.
I dont know if you have ever been to BKK before, but, depending where your plane parks, you may end up with a long walk from the plane to immigration..Bangkok is big airport , and often with a lot of walking, and even though they have people movers etec., it all takes time.
At 6:20AM, immigration may not be that busy, but, it still could take 15 minutes there.
You may be lucky if your airline can transfer your bag to the other plane, but, you still have to exit immigration, then go upstairs to check in, find the check in counter , and then go through security, and find your gate.

Personally,I would not do it. If it was 2.5 hours, you would be OK, but, not, with such a tight schedule.

Take the 11:30AM flight and relax.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:30 PM

I agree with gearsau- also you have to factor in time to get off the plance- especially if your seats are towards the back of the plane- sometimes it can take 10-15 minutes just to get off the plane. Also that 8 am flight will be boarding probably by 7:45. I say book the later flight and relax- if the plane is late it just means a shorter wait for the next flight.
Have a meal at the airport while you wait for your next flight.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:49 PM

The last time I flew from Bangkok to SR, they bused us out to the plane which takes additional time. I agree with the others take the later flight and then you won't have to worry.

However Angkor Wat is well worth the diversion.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM

gearsau is wrong and BillT, silverwool as well - they apparently do not recognize that immigration is not a factor if you can check your bags through. As a transit passenger you can go directly to your next gate - I've done it so I know it works. If not, you will have to go through immigration and recheck your bags - in that case I do suggest you take the later flight.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM

IF YOUR PLANE IS ON TIME....

why put that stress on you
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM

Bob, how often have you arrived late on a flight to Bangkok in your 2 dozen(?) trips? I know I haven't in over 1/2 dozen trips.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM

Since they will be flying out of Thailand immediately, they do not need to go through immigration. As long as they are flying a full-service airline, that airline should transfer their luggage to their Bangkok Air flight. (You will need to make sure oyur bags are tagged for REP). US airlines all post the on-time performance of their flights online. So check on the on-time percentage for the flight you are taking to Bangkok.

Even if your flight is on time, it will be a close connection. You'll have to move fast through the huge airport. Decide whether you want to cut it that close or not.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:13 PM

Do all carriers have an interline agreement with Bangkok Air? I wasn't aware of that.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:30 PM

Here is a list of the carriers that Bangkok Airways has a baggage agreement with. If the OP is arriving in Bangkok on one of these it should be Ok to take the earlier flight. Bangkok Airways is also, in my experience, good about putting you on an earlier flight if space is available, so it may be possible to book the 11:30 for safety and try to get on the 8:00 if time permits - no guarantee though. http://bangkokair.com/information-se...h-check-in.php
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:31 PM

Billy, no they don't - so that is why I suggested that the OP check with their carrier. Doesn't anybody read all of the responding posts anymore before posting themselves?
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:06 PM

I did read every post, Craig. Not sure what you're talking about...

My question was specific to Bangkok Airways, since Kathie's post seemed to infer that full-service airlines have an agreement.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM

My understanding (from an airline employee) is that "virtually any" full-service airline will check baggage through on "virtually any" other full service airline. This rules out the budget airlines like Air Asia, which won't even transfer baggage from one Air Asia flight to another.

As I read the info on the link Kim provided, the list is of carriers to which Bangkok Air will check baggage through (as opposed to the reverse). I notice no US airlines are on the list, which I expect has to do with the newer security procedures for US airlines.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 07:20 PM

none that i can remember, but i would be beside myself for most of the trip thinking about whether we would be on time or not.....so for that reason i always allow extra time....better safe than sorry...

we will leave the running to you cutting edge folks...
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 01:30 AM

Billy, KimJapan posted that excellent link about the same time as I posted. My comment about reading the other posts was not so much my frustration with you but with others, especially those that completely ignored that it might be possible to check bags all the way through.

Since the OP has not answered my question as to where their flight originates from, it is impossible to tell what the right answer is. There are several non-US airlines on the Bangkok Air list that fly from the east coast of the US, for example.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 02:50 AM

I also read the earlier posts, nowhere did I mention going through immigration! It is still a big airport. Its one hour 40 minutes from landing to takeoff. Factor in the time to get out of the plane, find your way to the Bangkok airlines departure lounge, board the bus and out to the plane and its still tight. Not worth the hassle IMO.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses.

We are coming from Boston, and our SR tix is a separate tix (not as part as our main tix), so yes I'd expect us to go thru the immigration.
I guess we better take the 11:30 am flight, just to be safe.

I have a question based on Kathie's response above"
'My understanding (from an airline employee) is that "virtually any" full-service airline will check baggage through on "virtually any" other full service airline. This rules out the budget airlines like Air Asia, which won't even transfer baggage from one Air Asia flight to another.'
-- We will be flying on Lufthanse & Thai Air to BKK. So, it is possible that when we check-in in Boston, even though our 1st stop/destination is BKK - but with the separate tix from BKK to SR -- we could request our bags to be transferred all the way to SR (without having us to pick them up at BKK airport and then check-in again)?

TIA!
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 06:01 AM

sw - I stand corrected. I think I mentioned you because you said you agreed with the others

Bangkok Air's minimum recommended international flight to international flight connecting time is 1 hour 15 minutes. Complete transfer instructions can be found here:

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/p...r_noBD_en.php#
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 06:12 AM

You are probably flying on LH421 / TG 921.. Is that correct?

My STAR ALLIANCE PC TRAVEL DESK shows the TG921 arriving at 06:20 hours .
I made a mistake when I first answered today ( lack of sleep), and forget that you were in transit...sorry about that

However, as others have pointed out, you may have to check to see if THAI AIRLINES will tranfer your bags to BANGKOK AIRWAYS.

If not, you will have to go through immigration and collect your bags, go upstairs, find BANGKOK AIRWAYS check in, and then go through passport control , security, and find your gate. To do all that in a short space of time, is risking missing a flight.
In fact, some travel agents will refuse to take the booking because of insufficient time at the airport.

I have been through BKK on a regular basis since 2003, and the newer airport since it opened in 2006, and know,that sometimes, they park the plane and take you into the terminal by bus.
Other times, you end up way down one end of the airport, and you have to make your way half way along "D" concourse for passport control. Its a long way, unless you have roller skates

Do yourself a favor, get the 11:00AM flight and avoid the stress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -